Sign in to follow this  
zuludelta

Armas ferry crashes into wall (Gran Canaria)

Here's the other Spanish ferry incident from Friday - no injuries here but whereas the Volcan de Tamasite will soon be back up and running, the poor old Panagia Parou is done for.

49 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

What happened there then?

Supposedly took on water at the stern due to high winds at the port which had suspended sailings... She's been laid up there since 2013 due to never entering service. Shame really, she was a looker... She's rolled fully onto her port side now.

The Panagia Parou had been laid up for years and was never likely to re-enter service. She's technically I think still owned by the remains of NEL Lines whose other laid up ships litter ports in Greece.

This ship and her sister were absolute turkeys and have never settled with any operator for a prolonged period.

Is that the funnel of the former CHAMPS ELYSEES that you can see in the top right corner at about 0m36s?

4 hours ago, Gareth said:

Is that the funnel of the former CHAMPS ELYSEES that you can see in the top right corner at about 0m36s?

I'd say yes, moored next to the Diagoras.

Well spotted Gareth.

It does rather seem to be a bad week for boat crashes. This time it's not a ferry but a Russian spy boat sailing of the Turkish cost which appears to have been hit by a freighter and has sunk - without any loss of life fortunately. When they say 'spy' boat I assume they don't mean 'I spy with my highly sophisticated monitoring equipment something beginning with 'f' a couple of yards off the bow'! Ed.