In April we crossed Portsmouth Caen, overnight. We were sitting in the bar having nightcap just before sailing and were rather surprised to see 4 or 5 armed maritime police/marines wander through with guns at the ready so to speak.    They were also wandering about in the morning.   The purpose of the post is to ask if this a normal sight on the ferries now, or were we just crossing at a highly sensitive time.   I cannot say it bothered me apart from to reflect how sad things are that we were not that surprised to see them.  The security at either end did not seem any more noticeable.  

I think it's a good thing. Nothing  they wouldn't do on aircraft, if it were more practical. Although, I do remember hearing somewhere that on some flights now there are one or two "undercover" security officers mixed amongst the passengers... Not sure too much more about that though.

They were onboard Armorique, the day after the Westminster attack i think. Witnessed them supervising boarding at Roscoff, and then disembarking on the car deck at Plymouth, complete with pistols and automatic rifles. As others have said, I found it very reassuring.