Avoiding heavy traffic round Caen on Saturday afternoons.

Unavoidably driving up from near Toulouse on July 8th, and hitting Caen around 16.00 -17.30. Sat Nav will take me by the quickest route, even if it means sitting in traffic for half an hour or so. 

I'd rather be driving for an extra 45 mins or so rather than crawling along in the lane changing chaos of Caen on most Saturday afternoons, so wondered if anyone has found a reasonable alternative route to Ouistreham, even if it means starting the detour as far back as Le Mans?

Perhaps a tactical delay? It sounds as though you will miss the 1630 ferry, and with the next one not being until 2300 it might be worth waiting till the traffic around Caen has thinned out.  But your satnav shot certainly looks horrid. 

Most French primary schools will be breaking up on Friday 7 July but the secondary and higher schools will already have been off for some time. I doubt the traffic will be that bad by the time you get to Caen on a Saturday afternoon as those going away will have already passed through by that stage heading west. From Toulouse you will be going against the tide as far as Nantes,  and that's more likely to be the slow bit,  but once you get on the road to Rennes and Caen you will again be able to pick up speed. I think the traffic is likely to be much heavier around 7pm as people head back from the beach and the following weekend will be the big getaway to avoid at all costs. Ed.  

• 3 weeks later...

Just a suggestion if you dont mind country lanes,  Leave the A84 short of Caen at the Villars Bocage junction.  Go through that heading for Bayeux.  At Bayeux take the D12 heading for Reviers  then head for Colleville-Montgomery.    Its all small villages speed bumps but the traffic always moves albeit slowly.   We nearly always head back to the ferry port this way. It slows me down after the main roads, and quite frankly I dont enjoy the Caen ring road after a long drive.   Went this way to Ouistreham from Bayeux last Thursday pm was lovely run through the countryside.  got to Ouistreham in time for a nice glass of beer in the sun at the Bar. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry not to have seen your messages until today, and had no notification of replies.

I'll be checking out the route suggested by Redwards on my satnav software, so thanks for that. 

As far as my "Caen-on-a-Saturday- afternoon-phobia" is concerned.....................we never found out; came back on June 28th, Wednesday morning for the 14.00 sailing, which was no trouble at all. We came from an overnight in Bourges, having cut our trip short as Mrs. Almosthere broke a toe and her achilles tendon! 

Our plans for next year mean we'll be hitting Caen on Saturday, June 30th 2018,  so I'm still interested in this. When I checked the live satnav traffic on July 8th though,  there didn't seem to be any problems, but I suspect that's because I was already safely at home!

We travelled through Caen on the Peripherique Nord coming in on the N13 from Bayeux, after a stop at CORA, at around 14:00 on Saturday 22nd July and the road was the quietest we have ever seen the Peripherique, and we have been travelling this route for over 20 years, and even if we are held up in traffic we have never lost more than about 5 minutes taking this route round Caen.

We take exit 3a but you can also take exit 3b, which comes first, for Ouistreham and it is swings and roundabouts for convenience which is easiest.

We were heading for the 16:30 ferry from Ouistreham to Portsmouth and yet again we were around 45 minutes early for our 15:30 check in.

• 6 months later...

Oh, how lucky we are.

Live in a national park in lovely leafy Devon (or cut off as the kids tell us!).
20 mins to the Plymouth Ferry.  Hot chocolate drink on the Armorique watching blighty disappear, breakfast calls followed by a senior moment in the cabin, cheery Bonjour to the friendly immigration guy then a gentle couple of hours drive through the Armorique park for a couple of weeks in our "Shedeau" by the sea!

Do it every month from April to October until the visitors leave the South West of England. Bish, Bosh, sorted!

What traffic?

Summers coming. You haven't seen me right?

SFD