TonyMWeaver

Ferries leaving Portsmouth to have armed French Military Personnel

Ferries leaving Portsmouth to have armed French military personnel and plain-clothed security onboard

From today's Portsmouth News (03/07/17)

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/business/ferries-leaving-portsmouth-to-have-armed-french-military-personnel-and-plain-clothed-security-onboard-1-8036488

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Like 2

Further to my post about June 19th, the Gendarmerie Marine were onboard the M/V Armorique at Plymouth. I found this surprising but not unwelcome!

Travelled via Portsmouth on Sunday, no overt security at the port. We were just waved through to the boarding area, but some vehicles were being thoroughly checked and it appeared from the ways they separated the cars they knew exactly which ones they wanted to check. No overt security on board and a quick passport check on arrival. Certainly felt secure and comfortable on the Bretagne as we do presently in beautiful rural France

Hardly surprising and something I can see becoming more commonplace.  However, who will pay for it, the operators or the taxpayer?  

I still was a little surprised to see armed police patrolling inside a shopping centre in Leeds the other day.  Being from Northern Ireland I'm used to seeing armed police of course (all of our police carry pistols), but not police carrying rifles!  Still, it is reassuring to see that if some sort of attack was to unfortunately happen that there are trained people in the vicinity which could limit its impact.

1 hour ago, Millsy said:

I'm glad you find it reassuring. For me it's quite the reverse I'm afraid. 

If the choice is being attacked by some lunatic or being shot in the crossfire between said lunatic and the police/army then I'd opt for just the one chance of being killed rather than the two chances thank you very much.

Bretagne had uniformed Security Guards on the car decks, yesterday, prior to departure from St Malo yesterday. Did`nt see them during the crossing, nor were they in evidence on arrival. Not Police or Gendarmarie types either.

Suprised by the reaction of some people on this subject,I know it is not very nice when some person walks past you with side arms and machine guns but you will just have to come to terms with this it is called living in the real world.they are there to protect everyone on board ,in other words to keep everyone on board safe.i for one don't mind seeing armed people  on board and if it prevents one attack it is price worth paying for.

• Like 3