TonyMWeaver

Baie de Seine to leave BF Fleet/ Stena Eflexer to replace

*Translated from Google

Baie de Seine to return to DFDS in 2020? http://www.ouest-france.fr/bretagne/morlaix-29600/brittany-ferries-un-navire-ro-pax-en-2020-5119756

Replacing the Bay of Seine, the Brittany would consider chartering a "Ro-Pax", a ro-ro ship also welcoming passengers.

An extraordinary works council was held at the Brittany Ferries on Thursday (July 6th) to discuss the plan for chartering a new vessel to replace the Baie de Seine, which provides two return trips per year. Week, connections between the UK and Spain and a round trip Le Havre / Portsmouth.

The period of chartering of this ship by the DFDS group ends at the end of April 2020. "Very few vessels responding to both technical characteristics and commercial characteristics (speed, garage capacity and number of cabins on long lines) are available In the charter market, "noted the CFDT councilors at the works council.

A passenger-friendly ro-ro

Through a press release, the union announced the plan to sign a so-called bareboat charter contract with the Stena group, which had a series of Ro-Pax ships (ro-ro passenger ships) .

"The management is considering signing a contract for a minimum of 5 years, renewable 5 years with option to buy at 5, 8 and 10 years for a delivery in August 2020", indicate CFDT elected members who have reservations before d To issue a favorable opinion on the charter of that vessel.

What volume of jobs?

The CFDT elected representatives regret having received "no information concerning the price of the ship, its financing, its economic impact in the company or the services offered there" and questioned the volume of jobs 'It will generate.

"However, it should be noted that this ship will be operated under the French flag, the first register, and therefore falls within the employment development policy of French seafarers. "

The commissioning of this ship could only be effective in September / October 2020. To avoid staying without a vessel on the current line served by the Bay of Seine, Brittany Ferries management would consider extending the charter 'Etretat of a few months

What is going to happen the the Stena Baltica  x Contentin?  I wonder if Brittany ferries will have her back.   Because if there is any plans for her to return.   I wonder if she will be converted to a Ro pax?

I would have thought that IF BF were going to have her back, it would only make sense to do so converted to a second Armorique.  But if Stena are happy with her and she attracts good charter fees then chartering in an already-existing ropax would make more sense.

13 hours ago, Stena Invicta said:

It may be on of the central or northern Irish ships. Stena are building their 4 new ro-pax to cover the Belfast routes. 

You mean replace one Visentini with another 2 or possibly take the two Superfasts off Tallink's hands when they're returned in 2020?

Both of the Tallink vessels would require major work due to their day sailing configuration however both Mersey & Lagan have had major refits and offer customers far more than the current Etretat but again would they be comfortable for Spain without further attention? 

Another point to consider is that these 4 vessels will be 15-18 years old in 2020. Three other attractive ships  worth a look at but probably far out of reach are Germanica, Scandinavica & Adventurer but these would also be of similar age and it's doubtful that the ports BF serve could accommodate them.

I can't see BF being interested in any other vessels in Stena's fleet.

4 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

That looks like the Silja Europa.

It is Silja Europa, she was available to charter during 2016 but Tallink have recently invested heavily in her giving her a new lease of life on the baltic.

The same sites still have the GNV monsters advertised too.

Golly as I have stated before it would be a dream if the Europa was to join the fleet, she would be arguably the most popular BF vessel ever....however I am sure BF would find it difficult to fit the Brittany Ferries logo on her!!!

Seems they plan to charter, with options to purchase, one of the new ships that Stena are building in China.

• Like 2

Sounds to me like BF have decided to give Baie de Seine back to DFDS, rather than them actually needing her back for anything. It's good to see them looking to the future once again, in contrast with some other operators.

3 hours ago, colin said:

Seems they plan to charter, with options to purchase, one of the new ships that Stena are building in China.

Where did you hear this Colin?

3 hours ago, Ryan_H said:

Sounds to me like BF have decided to give Baie de Seine back to DFDS, rather than them actually needing her back for anything. It's good to see them looking to the future once again, in contrast with some other operators.

I suppose BF could end the charter early but in this event penalties could fall to be paid.  However if there is any substance to this rumour that DFDS are planning to revive the UK-Denmark car ferry connection I should have thought they ought to be getting on with it not leaving it for three years when things could be different e.g. some other operator getting in first.

Incidentally would they go from Harwich?  What about the Humber or even the Tyne?  Maybe Great Yarmouth might be worth considering though I don't believe they have a linkspan in their new outer harbour development but that could change.  Superfast were supposed to be interested in a Great Yarmouth-Netherlands service -- before they passed from the scene!

Edited by Hawser Trunnion

I wonder if BF will get to make minor changes to the build ? Also I wouldn't be surprised to see the Scottish government subsidie a Scottish-Continent service.

5 hours ago, colin said:

AFAIK these four ships have been allocated to Stena's Belfast services, could BF have another Stena ship in mind.

Stena also have options for 4 more ferries but I can't find any information on whether these have been ordered. Maybe the orders depend on future charter arrangements.

So it looks like BF plan the following:

Normandie to replace Etretat

Unknown Stena ropax to replace Baie de Seine.

I read that they were intended for the Irish service but nothing signed maybe Stena are happy with the current ships on the Irish route the Superfasts seem ok for the Belfast route.

32 minutes ago, nick hall said:

AFAIK these four ships have been allocated to Stena's Belfast services, could BF have another Stena ship in mind.

It would make sense for Stena to keep their new 4 together due to commonality... perhaps BF would be interested in a Superfast (or two?)

42 minutes ago, nick hall said:

So it looks like BF plan the following:

Unknown Stena ropax to replace Baie de Seine.

Can I throw something else into the mix

Unknown vessel to replace Bretagne

Bretagne to replace Baie de Seine

Going further...

2 Superfast added instead of PA to increase frequency of Spanish sailings and providing similarities to the CF.
PA replaces Bretagne on St Malo
Normandie maintains Le Havre (with or without Etretat)
Bretagne leaves

Purely hypothetical, of course... but I expect the Bretagne's days will not extend beyond the next couple of years.

On 7/10/2017 at 14:11, hf_uk said:

Some very suitable vessels here, perhaps?

http://www.qpsships.com/-pre-owned-passenger-ships 

... http://www.qpsships.com/copy-of-classic-cruise-ship-300-passeng

1000 cars! Perfect for Spain!

The three GNV's, La Superba, La Suprema & Excellent were discussed on here over 12 months ago when they first appeared on yachtbroker lists. Consensus was that none would be suitable due to their lack of both cabin & freight space although given a bit of a tweak I'm sure they'd be viable for Spain. The two sisters, La Superba & Suprema are of equal size to what PEGASIS would have been.

The Stena new builds being discussed are possibly too small, all four will only have a passenger capacity of 1000.

Yes, fair enough. But do not forget the capacity of Etretat and BDS currently. 375 / 625 in max configurations?

BF seem to have some differing notions of their optimal configuration in terms of capacity. Pont Aven is absolutely crammed full of cabins, but is hardly ever full. Pegasis looked the same. Honfleur is much less packed at 1,600, but clearly that is good for her in terms of her intended route... but then that begs the question of why either Etretat OR BDS were ever really suited to Spanish crossings, other than the freight. Similar could almost be said in terms of the Cap. All three ships combined capacity I believe would be 625 + 375 + 700 = 1700, as opposed to 2,400. So a return trip to Spain on Pont Aven could carry 1,400 more passengers (potentially) than 3 return trips with the other ships (think of the running costs). I suppose from that we can surmise that Freight to Spain must be pretty important to BF!?