David1985

P&O Pride Of Hull/Rotterdam

I'm afraid I failed in my quest to get a definitive answer to this, you can't actually get close enough to the lifeboats to see their capacity. However I did ask a crew member who told me it was 'at lest 100'. The marine evacuation systems cater for the rest.

It's hard to see  them as you look down on them from deck so only see the canopies really. Was on Rotterdam last week and Bruges last night - where it is easier to see the capacity as you can walk by them.

Just returned from an excellent minicruise to Holland on P.O. Rotterdam out and P.O. Hull back today. Both ships looking great and the Hull for the first time for me shading the other out of the two. Maybe that's because it's had the more recent refit...

Anyway, my question was to do with linkspan at Hull. I remember someone on here saying that the Zeebrugge boats couldn't use the passenger walkway when those boats had to moor on the river terminal and foot passengers had to disembark by coach? I was looking at them this morning and wondered why that was as when the Zeebrugge boats cover on the Rotterdam run they are able to use the gangways in Rotterdam - presumably set to the same height as in Hull.

My only thought was that the tidal range in Hull was greater and that at certain water levels the Zeebrugge boats would be too low down for the gangway to extend. But if any one knows the real reason then I'd be interested to know. Thanks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Just returned from an excellent minicruise to Holland on P.O. Rotterdam out and P.O. Hull back today. Both ships looking great and the Hull for the first time for me shading the other out of the two. Maybe that's because it's had the more recent refit...

Anyway, my question was to do with linkspan at Hull. I remember someone on here saying that the Zeebrugge boats couldn't use the passenger walkway when those boats had to moor on the river terminal and foot passengers had to disembark by coach? I was looking at them this morning and wondered why that was as when the Zeebrugge boats cover on the Rotterdam run they are able to use the gangways in Rotterdam - presumably set to the same height as in Hull.

My only thought was that the tidal range in Hull was greater and that at certain water levels the Zeebrugge boats would be too low down for the gangway to extend. But if any one knows the real reason then I'd be interested to know. Thanks. 

I have used the Zeebrugge ships when covering Rotterdam.

They use their normal Zeebrugge berth or the other berth connected to the Zeebrugge terminal at Hull.

At Rotterdam the gangway is put on at a very high level deck - I seem to recall walking up a normal crew stairwell.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info on Rotterdam Rick. Was aware that they normally remain in the dock at Hull, however I was thinking about occasions when the lock has been out and they have been unable to get into King George Dock. Although your info for Rotterdam suggests why they'd be unable to do similar at Hull as if assume the gangways would just be too high for the ships. 

11 minutes ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Thanks for the info on Rotterdam Rick. Was aware that they normally remain in the dock at Hull, however I was thinking about occasions when the lock has been out and they have been unable to get into King George Dock. Although your info for Rotterdam suggests why they'd be unable to do similar at Hull as if assume the gangways would just be too high for the ships. 

I am not sure for certain but would guess in such exceptional circumstances they'd just bus on.

Pride of Hull and Pride of Rotterdam - just back from refit are both moored in Europort today. Hull on the berth and Rotterdam on the next linkspan down. Hope someone gets a photo as it's rare they're together at the same time.

Notice this morning that wind is causing a problem for Pride of hull. Looks like she's turned in the Humber and is heading away from Hull now, not even attempted to dock. Bit odd. 

Don’t see why it should be a problem, winds less than 35kts, berthing in the river, hasn’t got to try and get in the locks, plenty of tugs to assist.

Probably a combination of wind direction and strong tidal currents combining to make the turn off the berth a bit risky in the conditions would be my guess.

Further downstream I expect she would have been able to execute the abort turn without having to lose way.