Sign in to follow this  
Manxscorpio

IOM Sea Services

Isle of Man Steampacket Company

OUR VISION FOR THE FUTURE OF ISLE OF MAN SEA SERVICES
With Tynwald, the Isle of Man’s parliament, due to resume discussions about the future of the Island’s sea services, we have again outlined our offer to continue serving the Isle of Man.

You can read more at  www.steam-packet.com/aboutus/SSSA.

HIGHLIGHTS OF OUR OFFER
• £120m investment in two new ships and back-up vessel, plus £50m package of fare reductions and other service improvements
• Ben-my-Chree retained as additional third vessel to give comprehensive passenger and freight back-up and provide additional TT/FOM/special events capacity
• Purpose-built, larger conventional ferry to replace Ben-my-Chree by 2020/2021
• New fast craft to replace Manannan by 2022/2023
• Increased passenger and freight capacity to give more passenger comfort on board and help develop the visitor economy
• Introduce new ‘frequent traveller’ scheme to benefit 10 times more passengers than last scheme
• Guarantee more special offer seats available every year
• Share extra revenue growth to fund additional low fare initiatives
• New Manx RPI(J) cap on increases in standard fares and freight charges
• New guarantees to ensure Isle of Man focus with employees, management and directors locally based
• Formal service reviews every three years
• Annual publication of Irish Sea fare comparisons
• Commitment to new Government-owned Liverpool river berth
• No Government subsidy
• New inflation, debt and ownership safeguards

£120m doesn't seem like very much money to get two totally new ships, unless INCAT have got one they can't shift and the conventional ferry is coming from China. Ed. 

Well I wasn't impressed with IOMSPC the only time I used them. Sounds big ideas not backed up with cash. Cannot see them being able to keep Ben my Chree as well. Sell her to Condor ferries for Portsmouth-CI and then maybe Commodore Goodwill can go from Poole to St Malo or rival Portsmouth St Malo as competition against BF.

£120m for a purpose built conventional and a fast craft doesn't sound a lot (and that's before we consider the value of the £).  Saying that, the Ben is rather basic I believe (haven't personally had the 'pleasure' so I can only go by photos and conversations with others) so a larger version of the same type of thing mightn't cost all that much, especially if purchased from the Far-East and based on an existing design.  Perhaps the fast-craft will be a 'pre-enjoyed' example, though by 2023 I wonder how many suitable examples will be available!

58 minutes ago, tarbyonline said:

£120m for a purpose built conventional and a fast craft doesn't sound a lot (and that's before we consider the value of the £).  Saying that, the Ben is rather basic I believe (haven't personally had the 'pleasure' so I can only go by photos and conversations with others) so a larger version of the same type of thing mightn't cost all that much, especially if purchased from the Far-East and based on an existing design.  Perhaps the fast-craft will be a 'pre-enjoyed' example, though by 2023 I wonder how many suitable examples will be available!

The Ben is rather basic compared to ferries on other routes we have travelled but only a 4 hour crossing and out of season limited pasengers so acceptable. The fast craft takes 2.5 hours and generally runs in summer months - and TT weeks when it is crowded. Difficult business for both ferries and airlines to/from IOM.

We don't want the Steam Packet's cast off ferries down here in the Channel Islands! With this I mean the Ben. When Condor do eventually invest in a new conventional ferry we want something far better.

• Like 1