More info.

Just booked another France crossing. As its over 8 weeks away BF take the deposit only. At 8 weeks they take the balance on the debit/credit card you used AND help themselves to any extra that that they deem is due to "vehicle manufacturers specifications" different to your declared dimensions.

It begs the questions-

Is the data base accurate with your vehicle in its present state and how do you check? CarWeb deal with the industry and anyway the data would cost you!

Once the extra money has been taken and you find out later, how do you claim it back if its been taken using false information?

My advice is DO NOT BOOK A CROSSING OVER 8 WEEKS IN ADVANCE!

Book it under 7 weeks 6 days and the balance will be as you saw online and it will all be taken at that price. Then argue the point at checkin and have you car measured if they deem it is oversize. Bit of a risk of not getting on if you are grossly over the size but as in my case its under size.

I'm consulting Trading Standards and have emailed BF customer services.

SFD

My booking would have cost me £300 more if I hadn't made it so far in advance and I wouldn't have got the cabin I wanted as they are sold out.

1 minute ago, neilcvx said:

My booking would have cost me £300 more if I hadn't made it so far in advance and I wouldn't have got the cabin I wanted as they are sold out.

Check the email that had the booking. If they say your vehicle is bigger than " Manufacturers specs" then they will help themselves to the extra at 8 weeks before sailing when they take the balance.

If there is no mention of the above, then you're  safe from BF helping themselves to your cash.

SFD

I booked in August for August the next year it's nothing to do with car sizes it's to do with prices rising nearer the time just like easyjet, Premier inn etc, it's extremely bad advice to say save money and book nearer the time and I paid the whole lot in December.

Edited by neilcvx

Now I think you're protesting too much SFD.  You raised an interesting and valid point regarding the car database, and you ought to follow Jim's advice and write to customer services about the matter. But to extrapolate that issue to general advice regarding advance bookings is a little melodramatic, and to talk about contacting Trading Standards before contacting BF Customer Service is ludicrous.  This is a BF Enthusiasts forum, not a grumbling forum.

• Like 1

Thanks Neil and Gareth. Good advice Neil.

Spoke to Cust Services ages ago. "Sort it out at checkin etc, ppl have been known to lower suspensions etc"- get the idea?Would you grumble at that?Nothing happened. 

Have emailed them again-plus reservations, awaiting a reply.

T S can point you in the right direction and give advice anytime and cost nothing (except yours and my taxes)  but alas won't get involved with a European company.
What they can do is check nationwide if similar has happened before.

I've estimated that by using their database and not the true dimension in will cost me over £400 in a year. Melodramatic Gareth. Think I should just take that lying down?

A cheque for £400 in the post will do Gareth. 

Will chill now, thanks for calming me lads, appreciated.

SFD

Ps. Once got no joy with a dealer over a new Renault and not getting any luck. Wrote to Renault UK CEO, things happened in a few hours plus Dealer compensation.

17 hours ago, straightfeed said:

Halfcrown-its the car reg that they use. They would ask the same over the phone. 

Ah yes - in my day on-line access to the DVLA was a mere Sci-Fi dream and databases like CarWeb were not even a twinkling in a DB-manager's eye.

We literally had to compile our own database! We phoned local dealers for Ford, Peugeot, Rover (yes, really!) etc and asked them to send us their sales literature (I think they rather fancied we were going to buy a fleet of company cars). We then manually entered the vehicle dimensions into our database. And our customers paid good money for us to do that too - I guess it was worth it for them as it saved a lot of time at booking.

At the check in booth if you don't agree ask the operator to physically measure the vehicle whilst you stand next to him or her, if it's within the limits then they'll be no problem regardless of what the software says.

It was done to us in May as our conversion isn't on any database, the base vehicle is but that's pretty useless when there's the added height due to a TV aerial, roof windows and a roll out awning... 

All smiles and all very good natured plus now I have accurate vehicle dimensions but more importantly so do BF...

A two minute hold up at the booth just means two minutes less waiting in a lane.

All been good natured at checkin, no complaints and never charged -thanks BF check in.

BUT they will have taken the extra money from now on as per their email with the ticket. So, it wont be a problem for them. Its now my problem.

Any idea how I get the excess back everytime ?(unless they amend my details).

Hang on- pigs just flying by.

SFD

Add to the mix that has already been discussed above, the disabled, who can arrive in a variety of vehicles that all need to be parked near a lift so this will also affect the loading and this cannot always be pre-planed as Brittany Ferries will be unaware until check-in that this service is required.

2 hours ago, straightfeed said:

Any idea how I get the excess back everytime ?(unless they amend my details).

Hang on- pigs just flying by.

SFD

Either by calling them to query it and request a refund, or requesting a refund at check-in where they can actually compare the height of your vehicle against the markings there. On a sailing last December we were one short of the 4 booked in the car and when we advised of this and said we no longer needed one of the cabins were pleasantly surprised at getting a refund applied there and then for said cabin.

Yes, not an ideal process I admit... but as hf_uk says BF likely get to feed back things like this to the data supplier (it does take time) and a quick call should result in you either not being charged the fee, or having it refunded.

Thanks Jim. Great help.

Heres a pic of wife using my 1.830m gauge. I'm getting a bit anal now. But over a year the extra cost would be quite high to visit our new home in France

596e144f3951c_DSCN0810(2).thumb.JPG.5c5c3ad712bfacdc6abf2ca6b8da5346.JPG

Edited by straightfeed
misstyped
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Don't forget that many people drive hatchbacks and opening the hatch can easily bash against the overhead depending on where you are parked.

True enough but I don't suppose the ferry companies allow for that any more than they do for being able to fully open the side doors when parked in the lanes.

Interesting, just noticed this topic. We had until very recently a peugeot partner teppee outdoor (the highest of the lot), Never had a booking queried BUT it was French registered so I would imagine that their database does not recognise size details of French registrations. I must admit I thought the car was under 1.83 not 1.86 as I now know it is in the peugeot data! Have now got a Duster so well under 1.83. As has been said I don't think I have seen a French partner/berlingo - 2008 on - without roof bars.

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Don't disabled people need to declare any special needs they may have when booking? Ed 

And approach the vessel with their hazards flashing as a further reminder for loading staff. When marshalling there is a dedicated lane too.

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Don't disabled people need to declare any special needs they may have when booking? Ed 

In a nut shell "No" as disabled people fall into many categories, some need wheelchair access, some just need a lift, some need space to get out of their car etc. If you need a Disabled Cabin that is a different question.   

1 hour ago, straightfeed said:

Thanks Jim. Great help.

Heres a pic of wife using my 1.830m gauge. I'm getting a bit anal now. But over a year the extra cost would be quite high to visit our new home in France

But it's that an EU/BF approved gauge? If not,  there's your problem. I'm sure they will rent you one for let's say £400 a year! Ed 

Got the wood from my local iWood store( bit primitive down these parts) Had to queue after midnight when the iWood 8 came out.

What I have got is internal roof bars which will be used to carry my gauge. And no external roof bars, did I mention that?

Should the BF inspectors pounce I shall spring me thingy out and amaze them with my little stick(1.830m long)!

I can rent it out at the port, thus recovering my losses.

I need a rest.

SFD

4 hours ago, straightfeed said:

Thanks Jim. Great help.

Personally I'd be more concerned that PSA had sold me car which isn't what they advertised. Either the ground clearance is less than it should be or I've not got head room I've paid for... Selling me a vehicle for an extra few grand on top because it's supposed to be an MPV but all the while it's just giving me the same as a car is not on...

Post 2008 the Berlingo Multispace is sold as being 1852mm without roof bars & 1882 with them, if that's not what I'd got for my money it would be going back toute de suite...

Trying to convince BF that not only theirs but Glasses, Parkers, What Car etc etc figures are wrong would be the least of my issues, I'd be most irked and more likely to be on a mission to re-educate PSA on what I do and don't find acceptable regarding misrepresentation...

Just to add more confusion most new cars currently on sale have different choices of wheel diameters or low profile tyres available as options. It's difficult to see how BF could rely on the use a database of car dimensions for vehicle heights without also having access to all manufactures build databases as well.

I know nothing of Berlingo history Jonno but I take your point.

My choice was for sod all road tax (£20 instead of £270 on the old Renault)

6  speed semi auto (better fuel consumption than the 5 star manual)

Van like to get big radio control models in with the wings stuffed on the internal roof bars.

Adblue exhaust to save the planet plus all the free servicing, free breakdown and a man with a dog and a white stick to value the old Renault.

The roof height didn't bother me until a day or so ago

Good one G4rth

SFD

I've skimmed through the thread so if I've missed anything big let me know.

The ultimate reason for this being done is to maximize space on board. If you are forced to pay the extra amount before arriving at the port, contact the call center and explain that you're vehicle is below the dimensions. They will then pass the responsibility on to who ever checks you in at the port as they can physically see how tall/long the vehicle is. A vehicle with five people and their luggage is of course going to be lower than when it left the factory.

Make sure you contact the call center first as a refund can't be guaranteed at check in as I recall.

On 17/07/2017 at 11:15, hf_uk said:

With regards to what Jim said, I would agree, but the people who maintain the services are constantly getting feedback and updating/correcting dimensions - BF are not the only company who will be getting feedback like this from their customers....

Yes, I strongly recommend writing to customer services about it, BF do actually care about their customers and what they have to say.

On 17/07/2017 at 17:02, straightfeed said:

In fact when we last checked in the staff member started to process the cabin ticket, then noticed his computer (I would guess with a flash saying nab this bloke, car is over 1.83m) turned and looked at the car, shrugged his shoulders. NO CHARGE.

Could I ask what port this was at??

5 hours ago, nigelinfrance said:

Interesting, just noticed this topic. We had until very recently a peugeot partner teppee outdoor (the highest of the lot), Never had a booking queried BUT it was French registered so I would imagine that their database does not recognise size details of French registrations. I must admit I thought the car was under 1.83 not 1.86 as I now know it is in the peugeot data! Have now got a Duster so well under 1.83. As has been said I don't think I have seen a French partner/berlingo - 2008 on - without roof bars.

I believe some French registrations are recognized and queried; not all.

5 hours ago, jonno said:

And approach the vessel with their hazards flashing as a further reminder for loading staff. When marshalling there is a dedicated lane too.

Yes this is the procedure.

4 hours ago, Paul W. H said:

In a nut shell "No" as disabled people fall into many categories, some need wheelchair access, some just need a lift, some need space to get out of their car etc. If you need a Disabled Cabin that is a different question.   

Many fully able bodied people book wheelchair accessible cabins purely because it's an outside cabin and is slightly cheaper than the rest.