7 minutes ago, scarlton said:

Many fully able bodied people book wheelchair accessible cabins purely because it's an outside cabin and is slightly cheaper than the rest.

And you mean they have no real disability? Is that allowed by BF? (Thanks for the tip!) But seriously, I understand they can't ask people to get out of the vehicle just to prove they are unable to walk more than a few yards unaided but it's rather inconsiderate to block an accessible cabin which could be put to better use. I am of course happy for BF to sell any unreserved cabins at the last minute, accessible or otherwise on a first come, first serve basis. Ed

Before computer systems, we used to look up the vehicle dimensions in a booklet thoughtfully provided by another ferry company - the Townsend Thoresen Guide to Vehicle Lengths.

17 hours ago, straightfeed said:

1.Spoke to Customer service-no joy.

2.Emailed Customer service and reservations-no reply so far

3.Plymouth

SFD

Reservations are the best people to speak to, give them a bell.

17 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

And you mean they have no real disability? Is that allowed by BF? (Thanks for the tip!) But seriously, I understand they can't ask people to get out of the vehicle just to prove they are unable to walk more than a few yards unaided but it's rather inconsiderate to block an accessible cabin which could be put to better use. I am of course happy for BF to sell any unreserved cabins at the last minute, accessible or otherwise on a first come, first serve basis. Ed

Pretty much. These cabins are designed for those in wheelchairs or struggle with the higher bunks. not necessarily those who can't walk too far. It's selfish of people to do, just to save a few quid, but is difficult for BF to enforce.

17 hours ago, Poopy said:

Before computer systems, we used to look up the vehicle dimensions in a booklet thoughtfully provided by another ferry company - the Townsend Thoresen Guide to Vehicle Lengths.

A similar list exists but is now redundant. It used to be used to determine whether a vehicle should be classed as a leisure vehicle or car.

I got resoundedly told off at check-in last year when I subsitituted a Nissan X-trail for a Saab estate (having given the Saab away to a needy son...), forgetting to declare the x-trail as an SUV rather than a "standard car" when I changed the registration details, this despite the fact that the x-trail is shorter than the Saab and essentially the same weight, though marginally taller, but still well below the 1.83m limit. So what's the difference operationally between the two?

And should I be asking for a discount for the Fiat 500 I'm taking over next week? After all, it's nearly 500 kg lighter and a lot shorter!!!

I can see why BF would want to know either way round - whether you're "upgrading" or "downgrading" the type of vehicle, BF would want to know before you get to check-in.  It's not primarily about the price you pay, it's about the loading plan for the ship.  The loading plan, or more specifically the car deck configuration for the voyage you are about to embark on, will have been designed some time before you get to check-in.  If everyone turned up at check-in in a different type of vehicle to that booked, without you having bothered to let them know beforehand, it could play havoc with their plan for loading that sailing.

16 minutes ago, hirondelle said:

I got resoundedly told off at check-in last year when I subsitituted a Nissan X-trail for a Saab estate (having given the Saab away to a needy son...), forgetting to declare the x-trail as an SUV rather than a "standard car" when I changed the registration details, this despite the fact that the x-trail is shorter than the Saab and essentially the same weight, though marginally taller, but still well below the 1.83m limit. So what's the difference operationally between the two?

And should I be asking for a discount for the Fiat 500 I'm taking over next week? After all, it's nearly 500 kg lighter and a lot shorter!!!

Possibly nothing to do with the space it takes as it falls into the 5m x 1.83m the same as the Saab estate. It's more likely to do with security. Your travel details with the Saab had been handed over and convernance satisfied, your X-trail however had had no such scrutiny and was an unknown quantity.

In July 2014 my missus came across to Caen to meet me, in my haste to book the return ferry I mixed up her reg number. when we returned via St Malo 3 days later with my sister we were swiftly ushered into one of the sheds and had both shutters lowered with us and the car thoroughly searched then neatly corralled by a couple of earnest young men sporting MP5's...Two of them even disappeared to verify our story while another searched our phones. If we'd been up to no good our feet wouldn't have touched the ground.

I was well impressed... and particularly well behaved!

When booking online, there is the option of a HIRE vehicle, so you are unsure what vehicle it is until you turn up at the port, and then the operator will do it on the day. Why not book it like that!

As an ex member of reservation staff, i remember around 1998/1999 when the height was lowered to 1.5m for a while, and all vehicles over were charged (£10 each way minimum if i remember right). That caused no end of 'unhappy' customers, and conversations about the official heights of vehicles.

21 hours ago, Gareth said:

I can see why BF would want to know either way round - whether you're "upgrading" or "downgrading" the type of vehicle, BF would want to know before you get to check-in.  It's not primarily about the price you pay, it's about the loading plan for the ship.  The loading plan, or more specifically the car deck configuration for the voyage you are about to embark on, will have been designed some time before you get to check-in.  If everyone turned up at check-in in a different type of vehicle to that booked, without you having bothered to let them know beforehand, it could play havoc with their plan for loading that sailing.

Well, that's my point - I don't see how declaring the X-Trail as an SUV would have made any difference to the loading plan.

Incidentally, my wife has subsequently booked the X-Trail, forgetting to select the SUV option twice, and she didn't get told off.... I guess she must look more scarey than me?

21 hours ago, jonno said:

Possibly nothing to do with the space it takes as it falls into the 5m x 1.83m the same as the Saab estate. It's more likely to do with security. Your travel details with the Saab had been handed over and convernance satisfied, your X-trail however had had no such scrutiny and was an unknown quantity.

Can't see how - the change in vehicle registration was notified over two weeks in advance of the crossing.

Rant over, normal service resumes...

My guess is it is to do with weight - I suspect BF expect an SUV to weigh considerably more than a conventional car, which in the case of Range Rover Equipe, Freelander etc, may well be true, but not in my case, or in the case of many modern SUV's where keeping the weight down is a major priority to get good fuel consumption figures, etc etc...

I wonder how they'd classify a Fiat Panda 4x4?

If I recall correctly, getting Land Rover weight allocations wrong was a major contributor to the car carrier capsizing in the solent the other year, so I do have some sympathy with BF, but it wasn't handled particularly well by the chap in the check-in booth at Plymouth, which is why it annoyed me so much at the time.

That's true, many modern SUV's are light with surprisingly low braked towing limits. Most of them aren't particularly tall either, my Yeti is just 1645mm with bars. I was surprised at the standard Berlingo heights let alone the one's fitted with roof bars.

There is also a lot of common sense involved. Before now they never knew the actual make of the car before it turned up at the port (I doubt somebody looked up the dimensions of each pre-enterred registration manually), or type, and I doubt they use that information yet anyway in terms of garage space. If you imagine Bretagne is rated up to 580 cars. If everyone booked a standard "car" space, regardless of height (as height often nowadays is proportional to the other dimensions of the vehicle) and they were all Range Rover Vogues; imagine the difference if they were all Smart Cars. That is an extreme example agreed, but in one scenario nobody would be able to get out of their vehicle and likely a dozen or so being left on shore, and in the other half of the ship would be empty...

Edited by hf_uk

I had a 2010 berlingo previously which was on 16 inch wheels. A friend had a 2009 same shape with 14 inch wheels. Tyres were a similar profile from memory. Certainly not 5cm difference in profile.

ive now a Zafira with roof bars. My inaccurate measuring technique was standing next to it and comparing to me. The top of the roof bars was half way between my eyes and hair line.... I'm 5'11. 

Its currently wearing my roof box, so multi storey car parks are off limits. A trip to town needs to ensure the BMWs left for me!

On 18/07/2017 at 21:23, Cabin-boy said:

I think its a mainly British trait sadly. It happens on almost every holiday flight out of the UK..Seen so many examples its sickening but usually follows this...someone comes on with wheelchair assistance/crutches etc, seat sorted for them and good help provided. Fast forward into the cruise and toilet/need something from the galley/ to talk to friends further up time occurs and Lo and Behold...a miracle..they can walk unaided..Gets better on landing, as soon as the doors are open they can walk up the aisle with all the ease of a rat up a drainpipe. Leaving the ground assistance people to turn up and no one to assist...All to save a few quid on priority boarding..

Don`t get me wrong, there are many genuine cases who wouldnt dream of abusing the system and its good that such service is provided and help rendered and long may it continue..its the scammers that get my goat. So yup BF are bound to get their share

Had the misfortune to go to Tenerife once. Returning we got to the airport early in a hire car and checked in. 

Then watched the coaches arrive.

People watching as usual. Up goes some old dear in a wheel chair, bless 'em. Then husband in another wheel chair.They check in first.

Queue very understanding. After 12 more wheelchairs arrive your could feel the resentment building up in the queue along with a sense of disapproval.

2 lads discuss nicking a wheelchair to get in the front of the queue.

Comments started from "bless him" and ended "Christ ,how many more?" 

Edited by straightfeed
awful english

No disrespect my friend.

My wife uses her stick to walk and can't do stairs. BF put us near a lift and we are very greatfull.

The Tenerife thing above was just my observation on how the able bodied react to a situation like that. Sorry if it gave you the impression otherwise.

I don't support their views or the reaction, it was just an observation I made.

It will be me one day-my knees gone already.

Respect,

SFD

No problem.

I don't think it is the wheelchair users themselves trying to get to the front, it the "Politically Correct", "Jobsworths" & "Do Gooders" that want them out the way together to make life easier for "THEM".

You'd think it wouldn't be rocket science for blue badge holders to be issued with some sort of authentication number that they can use when making reservations for disabled facilities and then the transport companies could require authentication before selling a reservation for such facilities.  Surprised such a system does not already exist.

On 20/07/2017 at 15:00, hirondelle said:

Well, that's my point - I don't see how declaring the X-Trail as an SUV would have made any difference to the loading plan.

And, to get the discussion back on topic, just want to come back to this.  Of course you, as one person, doing this is not going to make any difference.  But my point is that if 50 people did this then it could well play havoc with the car deck configuration plan.  The amount of mezzanine they plan to use pretty much has to be designed pretty much before they start loading anything, and then they have to load in the right order around the setting of the mezzanines.  If everyone turned up in something higher than booked then this could prove a real problem for loading.

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

And, to get the discussion back on topic, just want to come back to this.  Of course you, as one person, doing this is not going to make any difference.  But my point is that if 50 people did this then it could well play havoc with the car deck configuration plan.  The amount of mezzanine they plan to use pretty much has to be designed pretty much before they start loading anything, and then they have to load in the right order around the setting of the mezzanines.  If everyone turned up in something higher than booked then this could prove a real problem for loading.

Take me, Take ME!

My cars not as tall as they say it is. Did I tell you that?

Loading solved

SFD

Edited by straightfeed

20 minutes ago, straightfeed said:

Take me, Take ME!

My cars not as tall as they say it is. Did I tell you that?

Loading solved

SFD

I know - that is already acknowledged and respected (see previous post).  But the discussion has broadened out from your particular issue and I was addressing a poster who claimed it does not matter if you book a vehicle that is different from the one you present at check-in.