Gareth

Your Favourite BF Ship Name Destination

Ok, this is just a bit of fun.  Of all the places in Brittany and Normandy after which BF has named a ship, which is your favourite?

So, to be clear, not including more "general" areas like Normandy, Brittany, Armorique, Penn-Ar-Bed and Baie de Seine, and not including ships named after people such as Dichesse Anne and Reine Mathilde - and not a discussion of the ships themselves - where is the best specific location in France after which BF has named a ship?

Contenders are:

Benodet;  Etretat; Honfleur; Pont Aven; Quiberon; Mont St Michel; Tregastel; Goelo; Pont L'Abbe; Barfleur

Any others?

Mine is Benodet.  Just a lovely place to spend a day.  Followed by Honfleur.

Quiberon for me, a unique place. Pont Aven is attractive too though.

Funnily enough, earlier this year we stayed at Benodet, visited Pont Aven, Quiberon and Pont L'Abbe and returned aboard Mont St Michel!

2 hours ago, wortley said:

I wanted Purbeck, Gareth, but you have ruled it out. Was that the only ever British name in the fleet? 

Truckline had the Poole Antelope, but I seem to recall that was named in the days before BF had ownership. Someone more knowledgeable than I will know if it ever served for BF under that name.

4 hours ago, wortley said:

I wanted Purbeck, Gareth, but you have ruled it out. Was that the only ever British name in the fleet? 

I think the only BF ship named after somewhere in England was Cornouailles wasn't it (French for Cornwall).  I agree about the attractiveness of the Isle of Purbeck but didn't include it for three reasons:

1.  It isn't in France.

2.  It is a general region (like Armorique) rather than a specific place.

3.  Purbeck was not named by BF.  She carried the name Purbeck long before (as in, more than 10 years before) BF had anything to do with Truckline.

Edited by Gareth

Quiberon for me, rocky coastline one side with a decent beach with a campsite on it on the other. There's also a few decent eateries around the Port de Peche, a great place to wile away the hours people watching.

The other time of course that they named a ship after somewhere outside France was when Benodet became Corbiere.  Not England but sort of British!

Two votes for Quiberon - not an area I know well but have paid a superficial visit once.  Maybe need to give it a closer look...

22 minutes ago, nottingham said:

Doh! You wanted 'favourites', not new suggestions, so it's got to be Pont Aven

It's a good topic for a parallel discussion though.  Nicest places BF have not yet named a ship after.  Agreed Ile de Batz a good suggestion.  I'd add Concarneau, Cote Granit Rose, Ile de Ouissant and Les Sept Iles to the list.  Though I suspect in several of these cases one of the reasons BF may not have used the name is because it is in use by another ship (therefore making it unavailable).

2 hours ago, wortley said:

You started by saying this was all a bit of fun. At what point did you change your mind about that?

The point where you tried to change the rules?! ;)

No, it's still a bit of fun.  Was just trying to answer an implied question from you as to why Purbeck was not on the list.  But I was not suggesting the list was exhaustive, there may well be one or more that I missed. :)

It's Quiberon for me too, followed by Barfleur and for a new ship name I suggest Morbihan or Presqu'ile de rhuys.

Edited by Angel
spelling

2 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Am I allowed to suggest MV Plogoff for a future vessel? Ed 

Well....it's certainly unlikely to be already taken! 😂

On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 17:07, Gareth said:

It's a good topic for a parallel discussion though.  Nicest places BF have not yet named a ship after.  Agreed Ile de Batz a good suggestion.  I'd add Concarneau, Cote Granit Rose, Ile de Ouissant and Les Sept Iles to the list.  Though I suspect in several of these cases one of the reasons BF may not have used the name is because it is in use by another ship (therefore making it unavailable).

New names for me would be St. Malo, Dinan and Quimper