Andy

HONFLEUR - Arriving in 2019

Certainly a different design ! Not so sure about that curve as it makes the super structure look out of place on top but I'm sure she will be ok once we see her in the flesh.

​so what is going to happen with Bretagne then ? Certainly brilliant to hear it is not a new build to replace our lovely Bretagne.

Edited by ross brown

Interesting fact: When this new ship enters service, am I right in thinking that the pairing with MSM will represent the largest difference in age between the pair of ships on the route since it started?

Duc De Normandie / Reine Matilde: Age gap 5 years

Duc De Normandie / Normandie: Age gap 14 years

Normandie / MSM: Age gap 12 years

MSM / MSM2: Age gap 15 years

Edited by Gareth

Certainly a different design ! Not so sure about that curve as it makes the super structure look out of place on top but I'm sure she will be ok once we see her in the flesh.

​so what is going to happen with Bretagne then ? Certainly brilliant to hear it is not a new build to replace our lovely Bretagne.

Your lovely Bretagne not everybody on here is fixated by her.

Her days are numbered, certainly, but no immediate consequences for Bretagne from the new Caen ship. My money for next out of the fleet would be Etretat, displaced by a Normandie suddenly given a new lease of life by revitalising the Le Havre route. But after that Bretagne will be next out for sure, with the other new build already flagged as to replace her.

Good to see BF include in their statement what a number of us already appreciate, that the political developments of 2016 are no reason to hold off developing their fleet.

Interesting fact: When this new ship enters service, am I right in thinking that the pairing with MSM will represent the largest difference in age between the pair of ships on the route since it started?

Duc De Normandie / Reine Matilde: Age gap 5 years

Duc De Normandie / Normandie: Age gap 14 years

Normandie / MSM: Age gap 12 years

MSM / MSM2: Age gap 15 years

MSM/MSM2 - 17 years?

MSM/MSM2 - 17 years?

Indeed, sorry, for some reason had 2004 in my head for MSM but it was 2002 wasn't it.

So:

MSM / Normandie 10 years

MSM / MSM2 17 years

Even starker than I originally thought.

Her days are numbered, certainly, but no immediate consequences for Bretagne from the new Caen ship. My money for next out of the fleet would be Etretat, displaced by a Normandie suddenly given a new lease of life by revitalising the Le Havre route. But after that Bretagne will be next out for sure, with the other new build already flagged as to replace her.

Good to see BF include in their statement what a number of us already appreciate, that the political developments of 2016 are no reason to hold off developing their fleet.

That would leave only 1 economie vessel in the fleet. Surely that cannot be? A sub-brand consisting of one vessel on one route?

That would leave only 1 economie vessel in the fleet. Surely that cannot be? A sub-brand consisting of one vessel on one route?

Quite. So no more sub-brand. No need with no Etretat.

The political developments massively delayed the build but thankfully didn't stop it, although whether they stopped Pegasis is debatable.

Pegasis was stopped a couple of years ago, long before anything unfolded in 2016.

The whole fleet renewal was delayed and affected when a possible Brexit was first mentioned that's just common sense when your business could be affected in a way that you don't know .

While it sounds logical to move Normandie to Le Havre, could we see her taking over the Spanish services instead, and move the the Baie de Seine to Le Havre only service? Though I am sure there would be any issue with linkspans (unless replaced?)...

The whole fleet renewal was delayed and affected when a possible Brexit was first mentioned that's just common sense when your business could be affected in a way that you don't know .

No. The fleet development was delayed by BF failing to secure a 1-year exemption to the new emissions regulations while they developed the LNG conversion to the newest members of the fleet. Brexit wasn't even on the horizon at this point. Come on Neil, you know your facts better than that.

While it sounds logical to move Normandie to Le Havre, could we see her taking over the Spanish services instead, and move the the Baie de Seine to Le Havre only service? Though I am sure there would be any issue with linkspans (unless replaced?)...

No. Normandie to Le Havre has already been stated by BF as part of this development, and as we have discussed on here many times nefore, Normandie would be totally unsuitable for anything other than Le Havre or Cherbourg.

No. The fleet development was delayed by BF failing to secure a 1-year exemption to the new emissions regulations while they developed the LNG conversion to the newest members of the fleet. Brexit wasn't even on the horizon at this point. Come on Neil, you know your facts better than that.

I think you're omitting facts in that statement,as has been stated on here and by BF board members Brexit has delayed ship orders.

I think you're omitting facts in that statement,as has been stated on here and by BF board members Brexit has delayed ship orders.

Neil, I suggest you refresh your memory. Pegasis was cancelled in October 2014, before the manifestos for the 2015 election were even published. To try to connect this with a Brexit vote in June 2016 is patently absurd. If you contine to try to hold that line you will severely damage your credibility.

Edited by Gareth

Neil, I suggest you refresh your memory. Pegasis was cancelled in October 2014, before the manifestos for the 2015 election were even published. To try to connect this with a Brexit vote in June 2016 is patently absurd. If you contine to try to hold that line you will severely damage your credibility.

I suggest you read the quotes and the dates on them from the BF board members on Brexit before you say again that it hasn't delayed ship orders.

• Like 1

I suggest you read the quotes and the dates on them from the BF board members on Brexit before you say again that it hasn't delayed ship orders.

I haven't said anything of the sort. I have responded to your ridiculous post suggesting that Pegasis was cancelled because of Brexit.

The political developments massively delayed the build but thankfully didn't stop it, although whether they stopped Pegasis is debatable.

This one.

If you contine to try to hold that line you will severely damage your credibility.
Didn't you say almost exactly the same thing to me about losing mine on another thread - think it was about Nova Star! I don't think Neil would lose any here, and as for me, well.....😉 Edited by Khaines
  • Like 3

Didn't you say almost exactly the same thing to me about losing mine..

Probably. If you ever tried to explain events that took place in 2014 by blaming them on events that took place in 2016 then I would quite possibly have said such a thing and in those circumstances would have done so with good reason.

I still think Brexit is the reason we aren't getting a flagship newbuild now, pegasis was cancelled but the banks willingness to lend now for a new build is obviously affected by Brexit, we could be looking at two new builds instead of one, I don't think every time we mention a new flagship being built we need to go back to 2014.

Neil, please believe me, you are welcome to hold a viewpoint that reverses the passage of time if you wish to do so. Don't let me stop you. I, on the other hand, prefer to deal with reality.

For the sake of inserting a brain cell or two of sanity into this conversation, I was referring in my post that stared this off to this extract from the BF press release:

"Despite Brexit, we remain confident in our ability to continue to grow and modernise our route network, serving both tourism and trade in the regions of western Europe."

Of course the new build order has been delayed (by a few months), no one has suggested otherwise, and reassuring that it has nevertheless gone ahead anyway, which was the point of my post.

But to try to portray the cancellation of Pegasis in 2014, as you did Neil, on the events of 2016 is both disingenuous and insane. If you really think that this is a matter of one opinion over another then I might as well go and try and have a debate about the ecological benefits of creosote with my garden fence.

Thanks for your obnoxious comments, if you think Brexit hasn't affected the ordering of a new build then you tell that to your garden fence , the 2016 referendum was first talked about in January 2013 and Pegasis cancelled/delayed in 2014, the vote was held in 2016.

• Like 1