Andy

HONFLEUR - Arriving in 2019

No it takes effect from November once the half-term holidays are out of the way. There should be something published by the end of this month for the following 12-month period Nov 2018 - Nov 2019. Ed. 

The timetable will make interesting reading as we will find out how they will fill the Baie to Seine gap, confirm that they will keep the Etretat/ pelican and see what else is planned - maybe another short term charter (won't the Epsilon be available ?). I am not sure how on time the Honfleur will be. The 2 pier slots are taken up with the Alf Pollack and the W B Yeats & they will need to float out the current ship next month to start the Honfleur. Maybe they will have learnt from the W b Yeats and do more fitting out in Poland.

Edited by David Williams

Yes it may be that the Portsmouth to Caen part of the timetable states that the ship you will be on and the cabin selected (if any) is subject to confirmation at a later date. Ed. 

On 21/06/2018 at 22:51, jonno said:

No, none of her keel plates will be laid in the hall until August. Various sections of superstructure are being fabricated in other areas of the yard.

Does this not make her around 2 months behind?  In the original timeline BF published keel laying was to take place in June. Theres a large Onorato-bound RoRo in the way at present though!

6 hours ago, hf_uk said:

In that video doesn't she just look EXACTLY like a big (pre-scrubber) Armorique!?

Basically that is what she is.

Had a lot of good sailings on Armorique and to be fair if she has nice spacious non dog tainted cabins why does it matter what her outward appearance looks like?

Agreed.  Especially as we know she is going to have a restaurant.  (The only thing Armorique lacks).  In all other repsects Armorique is a fine modern member of the fleet, and massively versatile for BF.  So if Honfleur is a souped up Armorique then BF could do a lot worse.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Had a lot of good sailings on Armorique and to be fair if she has nice spacious non dog tainted cabins why does it matter what her outward appearance looks like?

Sorry, it's just personal taste - I feel like I'm sat in McDonalds when on board, noise + plastic everywhere!  Hence we now travel Portsmouth - St Malo, mainly to avoid this ship - blow the expense!

• Like 1

Don't dislike the Armorique, personally, but don't really love it either. It's a workhorse that gets me where I need to go and it's perfectly good for that.

My 2nd favourite ship is MSM which I have imagined the new build to be a larger interpretation of. I think both her and Armorique are a tried and tested RoPax designs which are perfect for the channel routes, it makes sense to add another. Honfleur will look very impressive on the berth at Ouistreham when you consider she'll be longer, wider and heavier by volume than Pont Aven. Looking forward to it.

I think Honfleur will be a bit more sophisticated than Armorique on board with the budget slightly more relaxed than the tight reign put on "the Roscoff ship" as one member of the AIA team describes her, highlighting her relative on-board anonymity. 

They did an ok job with what they had but I think AIA were not especially happy over that period with restricted work on Seafrance Moliere and Armorique in close succession followed by their supposed break-out work on the Berlin and Copenhagen being absolutely butchered. They did do the Piana which is very good but hopefully they've been saving up ideas in the downtime since then.

I wait with baited breath what sort of Stena/BF hybrid comes out of working with Figura on the eflexers.

• Like 2

The hull of the second Siem ship looks almost complete so should be out in time for the August Keel laying of the Honfleur, however I am not sure where it will go as the pier currently has the Alf Pollack and WB Yeats on & present and they seem to be still working hard at the WB Yeats,

Edited by David Williams

9 minutes ago, David Williams said:

The hull of the second Siem ship looks almost complete so should be out in time for the August Keel laying of the Honfleur, however I am not sure where it will go as the pier currently has the Alf Pollack and WB Yeats on & present and they seem to be still working hard at the WB Yeats,

She's not due for launch until December, the Siem ship, Alf Pollack and W B Yeats will be well gone by then.

5 hours ago, jonno said:

She's not due for launch until December, the Siem ship, Alf Pollack and W B Yeats will be well gone by then.

ICG hope W.B. YEATS will be gone by then anyway 😜.  Lots of worrying rumours going around, but that happens with any delay to any vessel whether being built or just undergoing maintenance.  Ulysses is presently being converted to an oil tanker or a troop ship if you believe some 😂.  Alf Pollack is scheduled for delivery in October AFAIK.

5 hours ago, David Williams said:

Yes , however the second Siem ship will have to go somewhere - at present the pier has the 2 ships on & I would have thought that the WB Yeats would have to move off it before the second hull can launch - however there may be other room somewhere else

http://31.209.185.102/view/viewer_index.shtml?id=78528

I believe there’s another pier or quay they can use somewhere nearby.  Not sure where it is though 🤔.  They’ve delivered 5 (yes FIVE) ro-ro’s in a single year before so they must have some way of juggling things around!

• Like 1

On 19/07/2018 at 23:11, tarbyonline said:

ICG hope W.B. YEATS will be gone by then anyway 😜.  Lots of worrying rumours going around, but that happens with any delay to any vessel whether being built or just undergoing maintenance.  Ulysses is presently being converted to an oil tanker or a troop ship if you believe some 😂.  Alf Pollack is scheduled for delivery in October AFAIK.

I believe there’s another pier or quay they can use somewhere nearby.  Not sure where it is though 🤔.  They’ve delivered 5 (yes FIVE) ro-ro’s in a single year before so they must have some way of juggling things around!

Since its been posted publicly elsewhere, the word is that the measurements of W.B. YEATS accommodation module are off by around 1 metre.  82cm to be exact!  IF this is true (and I'd heard similar from a few different independent sources before it became public) Brittany Ferries will be quite concerned.

Edited by tarbyonline
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, tarbyonline said:

Since its been posted publicly elsewhere, the word is that the measurements of W.B. YEATS accommodation module are off by around 1 metre.  82cm to be exact!  IF this is true (and I'd heard similar from a few different independent sources before it became public) Brittany Ferries will be quite concerned.

Where did they buy there tape measures ? Poundland? 

1 minute ago, neilcvx said:

Where did they buy there tape measures ? Poundland? 

Poundworld have a closing down sale on at the moment, so maybe there?

In all seriousness, the accommodation modules were actually built by two different yards.  The subcontractor subcontracted the centre module out to another company (Holm Construction) based elsewhere in Gdansk, and built the forward and aft modules themselves.