Andy

HONFLEUR - Arriving in 2019

I hope Honfleur won't be like another Armorique. I much prefer the stern of the Bretagne and Pont Aven it make it feel more like a cruise ship.

Edited by Bf Bretagne

5 minutes ago, Bf Bretagne said:

I hope Honfleur won't be like another Armorique. I much prefer the stern of the Bretagne and Pont Aven it make it feel more like a cruise ship.

I fear you will be disappointed.  The stern of Honfleur, just as the other Caen ships MSM and Normandie (as well as cover vessel Armorique), will be designed to reflect the fact that the route uses (and relies on) twin-level loading.  Bretagne and Pont Aven are not designed this way.  (One of many features that make both of these beauties unsuitable for the Caen route).

4 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I fear you will be disappointed.  The stern of Honfleur, just as the other Caen ships MSM and Normandie (as well as cover vessel Armorique), will be designed to reflect the fact that the route uses (and relies on) twin-level loading.  Bretagne and Pont Aven are not designed this way.  (One of many features that make both of these beauties unsuitable for the Caen route).

I understand it has to be twin-level, but its still a bit disappointing though. It looks as if the rest of the ship is missing!

Edited by Bf Bretagne
  • Like 1

Even a design based on MSM would look far better. I wounder wether the replacement Bretagne or Pont Aven will have a simmer stern. If it’s a modified armorique, than I got make the most of these years!

• Like 1

Again probably something to do with the gas tanks. The master tank is forward of the mobile tanks and very close to the viewing areas. There is perhaps some legislation relating to proximity (particularly if they are smoking zones) to such an installation. Ed. 

2 hours ago, Bf Bretagne said:

Even a design based on MSM would look far better. I wounder wether the replacement Bretagne or Pont Aven will have a simmer stern. If it’s a modified armorique, than I got make the most of these years!

Nature of the beast I'm afraid, freight first passengers second. All freight busy routes have Ro Pax, open back and two bow entrances even the E Flexers will be the same. I think the only companies who have ordered cruise ferries over the past few years are Fjordline and Viking. BF haven't built one since Pont Aven.

The difference with BF is that they tend to pay more close attention to their passenger spaces than many others to give them a cruise ferry atmosphere.

St Malo could be different I suppose, freight is light on the route.

• Like 1

I hope bf get it right. As a passenger you want to be connected to back to the ship. I argre she will far nicer stern than the P&O in the photo (Sprit of France). The good news is there will be a main restaurant unlike arm. Also I hope there’s a good stage/focal point. The armorique is just very soulless unlike the rest of the fleet. To me the armorique outward look is far better than the inside.

Also as part of being an enthusiast is complaining!

Edited by Bf Bretagne
  • Like 1

I’m not sure how possible it’s going to be to get to the backnof the ship; looking at the high railings, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was anything else preventing access too close to the gas tanks and that where those railings are by the funnel will be as far back as you can go. Like Armorique, Normandie etc you’re not going to be able to stand at the stern and see the wake.

A google search brings up passengers on decks by the gas tanks on Viking Grace, but not sure whether the removable tanks on Honfleur raise extra concerns.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Seashore said:

but not sure whether the removable tanks on Honfleur raise extra concerns.

LNG evaporates rather than explodes like LPG as it's condensed by temperature not pressure. If tanks do burst the reaction is a cloud similar to steam or fog which evaporates almost instantaneously.

Shame it's a fossil fuel as environmentally it's use is particularly clean.

In contrast urea and seawater wash scrubbers are by far much more hazardous to life and limb, require far more energy consumption, maintenance and associated manpower.

22 hours ago, Bf Bretagne said:

I hope bf get it right. As a passenger you want to be connected to back to the ship.

Excellent point.

I think its one of the qualities which makes BF ships so appealing.  You don't get the impression that they have left outside passenger space as an after-thought. 

Stena might have their Hollandica and Britannica, which are fine ships, but their outside passenger spaces are tiny in comparison. You don't make the connection with the ship.  You can't roam around like on BF.  It would be a real shame if BF lose this quality.  

I was wondering why BF rejected  my idea for a barbeque  area down  aft . 

Edited by Chef
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Malc said:

Could be a bow section, but upside down at the moment.  Cut-outs are where the anchors go?

That is my interpretation. I think it will go in front of the current "end" section at vehicle deck level. 

I often go to the webcam to see how things are going with Honfleur, and to day, I see what looks like to parts of ramp going in on the starboard side.

Would anyone be able to conform this as on the port side I have not seen them go in Pic's attached.

Also is their any deck plan online to view yet.

Thank you.

one.png

two.png

5 hours ago, Eddies said:

I often go to the webcam to see how things are going with Honfleur, and to day, I see what looks like to parts of ramp going in on the starboard side.

Would anyone be able to conform this as on the port side I have not seen them go in Pic's attached.

Also is their any deck plan online to view yet.

Thank you.

one.png

two.png

There I see the any deck plan yet I asked bf a couple of days ago