Andy

HONFLEUR - Arriving in 2019

Just for what it's worth regarding price increases year-on-year, my Condor crossing two weeks ago, which was an exact copy of a trip undertaken last year but one weekend earlier, cost £3 more (rising from £65 to £68). I haven't taken any identical BF trips in the last two years to be able to offer a comparison unfortunately. Ed. 

Well, year-on-year should be irrelevant Ed.  A comparison between Normandie on July 9 and Etretat on July 2 ought to be both definitive and easy to come by?

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

That’s interesting.  Rather implies that BF is using “Economie” as an apology for the ship rather than as a different pricing tariff.

Gareth,

I thought that was always the case from day one. BF inherited the Le Havre service because (once again) a competitor got it wrong (P&O then LD Lines, as well as Stena Ex Southampton) ) but there was no way they could charge normal BF prices ( better appointed ships,  offeing the customer a wider ranging customer experience) for a Visentini ship that may use less fuel but is basic in every sense of the word.

So in my view yes, it was an apology 

Chris 

Ps I’ve never yet travelled on BDS but my spies tell me she is a huge step up from the perceived “Économie” brand

Sorry, I understood KeithR wanted to compare this year's crossing price with the same option next year with the added complication that the vessel will be different. It's therefore important to know how much on average prices have increased by this year. But, if its purely to compare Economie and full-fat BF options then that's different but still not easy as there are so many factors which might impact the pricing. Ed. 

Sorry to confuse the topic. I compared our summer crossing this year on Etretat to the equivalent dates 2019 on the Normandie. You are quite correct Gareth a comparison with Etretat and Normandie could be done immediately before and after the change.

Chris, yes I agree, there was always an element of apology.  But it was always also accompanied by a discounted price.  So the point of interest will be, when there is no longer a need for the apology, whether the tariffs remain the same or whether the tariffs assume normal “cruise ferry rates”.  If the tariffs remain unchanged then we can assume that “Economie” was always just a marketing apology for below-par ships but nothing more (and that any pretensions of discounted pricing because of the ships were just an illusion that BF wanted customers to believe).  If Normandie sailings cost the same as comparable Etretat sailings then, to me, the whole concept of “Economie” as a discounted tariff is exposed to be a ruse.

It would appear that Tues 2 July (Etretat) is the same price as Tues 9 July (Normandie). This is also true of Friday 5 (Etretat) and Friday 12 (Normandie)

• Thanks 1

I suppose, the other possibility is that Normandie is being run at Economie prices this year as a loss-leader, given that the arrival of Honfleur is potenially fluid and Etretat may end up operating the sailing.  I might be being unfair on BF - maybe the plan is to run the route as a full cruise-ferry route in 2020, when things have settled down.

(Or, maybe, if Etretat is dispensed with, the whole “Economie” thing might just be quietly dispensed with and pricing just continued as it was as if Economie had never happened?.....)

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Is Etretat definitely going? It might get transferred to another route if BF get a decent deal from Stena.

Who knows, it is shown as destocking in Cherbourg, however would be a decent Pelican replacement or to add to the Cork Santander service 

Ps the Honfleur is looking good

Edited by David Williams

42 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I suppose, the other possibility is that Normandie is being run at Economie prices this year as a loss-leader, given that the arrival of Honfleur is potenially fluid and Etretat may end up operating the sailing.  I might be being unfair on BF - maybe the plan is to run the route as a full cruise-ferry route in 2020, when things have settled down.

(Or, maybe, if Etretat is dispensed with, the whole “Economie” thing might just be quietly dispensed with and pricing just continued as it was as if Economie had never happened?.....)

That’s my take on it Gareth

Chris

• Like 1

I thnk that fundamentally 'Economie 'is not a brilliant idea.

BF should target premium quality crossings at reasonable rates. Economie just confuses the issue.

If you elect to take a longer Western Channel crossing them you can reasonably expect rather more than motorway service station standards. The extra cost should be compensated for by a better service and delivering you to more congenial and convenient ports en route to your destination.

• Like 2

I think it's fair to say that BDS will remain with BF until 2020 rather than return in 2019 as reported in the first instance by Shippax.

That's the only box that can be ticked but it still leaves a full 12 months before any E Flexer arrives. Cue one of Stena's Mersey based Visentini's in 2020?

There has been no mention of a Pelican extension so essentially she returns to her owners in 3 months time... that's a big hole in the freight timetable.

Even if Etretat remains and does sail from Poole to Bilbao from July that still leaves BF 200 trailer movements a week down for 4 months.

1 minute ago, hf_uk said:

is the camera working for anyone?

No, been 'off' all day! Hope they get it sorted soon - I thought it was just me as there's a message in small print about re-configuring the browser (which is beyond me)

33 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

is the camera working for anyone?

I had it on this morning around 9 am, but it soon went off after, however the outside one is working which is of no use when we are hoping to see the build. ;-((

As the problem has not been fixed, and that by 9 am tomorrow, it will be 48 hours the webcam has not been working it makes me think it has been turned off from the outside world. :-((

I'm actually quite surprised the unions approved such a webcam in the first place. I suspect French unions would have objected strongly to such an idea. In one company I visit they opposed a fixed camera aimed vertically downwards and used simply to detect the presence of a vehicle on the line. It told the production management system to hold the next chassis in a buffer zone until the way was clear. The camera simply focused on a specific marking on the floor but was swiftly removed. In FSG's case it must be sufficiently distant and of such low resolution as to make individual identification of workers impossible. Ed. 

In Germany, it's is to do with the privacy laws which is why most of Germany, is not seen in street view, so yes with the camera's being out of focus and not even showing any detail it's been passed for use.

• Thanks 1