Andy

HONFLEUR - Arriving June 2019

I do think Brexit delayed the new build order, that is not in dispute. And I'm glad it has happened even if delayed, which was why I posted.

If you look back through the threads that discussed Pegasis in 2014 and can find a single post in there that explained the cancellation on the forthcoming Brexit vote in the UK in 2 years' time (rather than a failure to secure finance at the time or the problems BF was having in developing the LNG facility and in securng the MARPOL extension to the enforcement of the new emissions regulations) then I will publish a very sincere apology. In the mean time, my comments stand, your stance on Pegasis is ludicrous.

Edited by Gareth

If you really think that this is a matter of one opinion over another then I might as well go and try and have a debate about the ecological benefits of creosote with my garden fence.

I'd be interested listen in on your conversation about the "ecological benefits of creosote" with your garden fence. If it's restricted to the benefits it would be a very short conversation. Don't stand too close either, it's a carcinogen.

I wonder if she will have a proper waiter service restaurant?

Questionable due to the what appears to be one level of passenger areas. Interesting she appears to have an upper car deck though (like 7th level).

As it is marginally bigger than Pont Aven, would this make the vessel flagship?

Overall, an intriguing design, with a fantastic funnel design. And stripes won't be disappearing too!!

I wonder if she will have a proper waiter service restaurant?

That is a question I am very interested to know the answer to as well. I see that feature of the new build as indicative of whether BF sees its future fleet devlopment being in the Armorique mold or in the MSM / Pont Aven mold. The Caen route is the most likely to go down the Armorique format, so if MSM2 has a proper restaurant then we can regard that issue as settled for the forseeable future....

Does look a interesting, reminds me some what of the Armorique with a stretched aft section. I do wonder if its just a artistic licence with the single pax deck? Also I wonder how big the pax area is compared to MSM - despite the increase in length, a lot is just open deck. Then again, looking at the Pax capacity numbers, significantly down compared to MSM, which is intriging - was expecting a more similar capacity vessel

Indeed, the extra length is probably designed to accomodate freight. Last few times I have used the Caen route the ship has been absolutely packed with freight. Might be that the new ship is still cruse ferry but also ropax with a heavy freight capability.

We've been through this all before... PEGASIS was canned because BF threw their dummies out of the pram because the UN wouldn't give them an extension on using HFO... Fact.

http://theloadstar.co.uk/brittany-fe...-control-area/

That all changed when the price of oil plummeted 3 months later. Red diesel is still cheaper than LNG, hence why I.F.'s build is conventionally powered.

This new build isn't news, Andy reported on it two months ago.

http://bfenthusiasts.com/forum/forum...in-2016/page20

If the reader carries on to pages 21 & 22 they will find the above mentioned discussion between Gareth and I over the dimensions of Ouistreham port.

Edited by jonno

I find how the newer ships are designed to minimise staffing and ease a quick turnaround interesting I think these factors will have the biggest effect on onboard facilities.

Yes indeed - and sadly that may point towards no restaurant, just a self-service Armorique style. Hope not but we'll see. No doubt we'll find out soon enough. Be interesting to know the cabin profile too.

I can't see them putting in a full-sized sit-down restaurant because, as has been discussed previously, on each departure passengers can only make use of it once at best on afternoon and over-night sailings and maybe a couple of times on the morning crossings. I would imagine the interior layout will be very similar to that of Armorique (but perhaps concentrated across a single deck to make life easier for those with disabilities or limited mobility) with an enhanced self-service at the bow (with certain hot dishes cooked to order and brought to your table) and a salad bar option. Then there will be the shopping arcade, kids' play area and the bar moving back towards the stern. Any quiet lounges or cinemas may be located on another deck depending on what they decide is appropriate. Maybe if the WIFI on board is better they will abandon the cinemas all together and just let people watch films on their tablets. If the cabins are equipped with TVs, perhaps they could also offer VOD instead. I would also assume the cabins will be on the upper decks (as on Armorique) to keep them away from the garages and the inevitable alarms which have been extensively discussed on here recently. Ed

Whilst I understand the rationale behind not having a proper restaurant on certain routes because of the timings etc, to not have one on this new ship would, I think, be a major disappointment, especially with this being a ground-breaking vessel for UK ferry services. If P&O can offer waiter-service dining across its Dover-Calais fleet (Pride of Burgundy is getting a Brasserie soon) then Brittany Ferries should without question offer the same on Portsmouth-Caen. That's just my opinion though ;)

• Like 1

Well, Ed, once on afternoon and evening sailings and twice on morning sailings equates to 4 times in a day which is probably more than the restaurants on the longer haul ships are used. But I tend to agree with you that a full waiter restaurant is unlikely. BF have moved away from the concept with Armorique and won't fail to be attracted to the economics of her arrangement. Especially on the Caen route where the arguments for and against the need for one are the same as on the Roscoff route.

If they do decide to do away with it on the new ship then I suspect it will be missed by passengers on the daytime sailings but on the main overnight crossings it will probably hardly be noticed will it? No time to eat on those crossings anyway - unless at the expense of sleeping. And they don't need to worry about versatility to be usable on other longer routes as the Caen ships are already intrinsically incompatible with them.

Whilst I understand the rationale behind not having a proper restaurant on certain routes because of the timings etc, to not have one on this new ship would, I think, be a major disappointment, especially with this being a ground-breaking vessel for UK ferry services. If P&O can offer waiter-service dining across its Dover-Calais fleet (Pride of Burgundy is getting a Brasserie soon) then Brittany Ferries should without question offer the same on Portsmouth-Caen. That's just my opinion though ;)

Yes, I think they should too. But worry that they might not. (See previous post). I guess in part their decision might depend on the level of complaints they receive in respect of Armorique. If Armorique generates a lot of customer dissatisfaction then they won't want to have this on their premier route. But I have no idea what sort of official feedback they get from the general consumer base on Armorique.

I would expect the new ship to have wifi throughout it ,usb charging points in all cabins and maybe even public spaces, be interesting to see if they do pet friendly cabins on her I still think she will have cinemas .

She definitely looks like a fatter version of Arm. As Ed says, I hope the cabins will be on the upper decks as it will be an improvement on both MSM and Normandie.

Gareth,

I've heard from a reliable source here in Brittany that a replacement for PA, with a view to put PA on the St-Malo run, would have been announced earlier this year if the brexit option had not been chosen.

• Like 1

Thanks crechbleiz, I'm sure that's right. Both ships would probably have been ordered last year were it not for the June vote. So encouraging, as I posted yesterday, that they have gone ahead now with this one and good to read in their statement that they are confident in the demand for U.K.- France ferry travel despite the vote.

It definitely looks from the proportions in the diagram like the freight-passenger balance is tilted a little more towards freight than on the current Caen ships. Maybe it's just a case of looks deceiving. But that would fit with my recent observations of the Ouistreham route being packed full with freight. Interesting if the route is becoming more freight-dominated despite the introduction of the heavily freight-dominated Le Havre route running alongside it.

I spoke to one lorry driver on my last crossing who told me that hauliers are trying to avoid Calais like the plague at the moment if at all possible.

So encouraging, as I posted yesterday, that they have gone ahead now with this one and good to read in their statement that they are confident in the demand for U.K.- France ferry travel despite the vote.

Very very encouraging indeed. We now know that BF believe they will need at least one ship on the western channel so long as it is efficient. Their statement and the new order means nothing more than that. Your attempt to hijack the thread and make it a pro-brexit one is especially interesting considering some of your previous comments in the last few years.;)

Edited by G4rth

Very very encouraging indeed. We now know that BF believe they will need at least one ship on the western channel so long as it is efficient. Their statement and the new order means nothing more than that. Your attempt to hijack the thread and make it a pro-brexit one is especially interesting considering some of your previous comments in the last few years.;)

I beg your pardon?!! Hijack the thread?!! What nonsense. All I did yesterday was post to say the order was encouraging. I never mentioned Brexit. Neilcvx brought up Brexit by attempting to blame the 2014 cancellation of Pegasis on it.

Questionable due to the what appears to be one level of passenger areas. Interesting she appears to have an upper car deck though (like 7th level).

As it is marginally bigger than Pont Aven, would this make the vessel flagship?

Overall, an intriguing design, with a fantastic funnel design. And stripes won't be disappearing too!!

I may be wrong and if so i stand to be corrected but i thought Étretat was a little longer than Pont Aven & Étretat is certainly no flagship!

Good news for BF. Especially if they get rid of economie tat. An exciting future ahead with another boat due as well. It's been too long!

Indeed. Will have been 10 years between new builds - the longest they have gone since Bretagne was built to take them into the purpose-built cruise ferry era. Before that it was mostly second-hand tonnage.