HONFLEUR - New Build for Ouistreham Route - CANCELLED

31 minutes ago, jonno said:

doesn't have the apparently all important A la Carte

Not convinced that will continue, if BF can reduce their catering options on a 2 night Spanish crossing, they could certainly reduce them on a crossing of less than 6 hours. It will be interesting how the Galacia food offering pans out and whether that is the new normal.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That may well be the view being presented for now, but things can change. My point being that until the several thousand tons of hull sat floating actually have a decided future, I wouldn't 100% disco

I get the impression we've put more hours into this thread than the German shipyard have into the real ship. Ed. 

And don't forget that the ship's real achievement was the production of zero CO2 emissions, zero waste water and zero satisfied passengers for the whole of the 2019 summer season. Ed. 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Not convinced that will continue, if BF can reduce their catering options on a 2 night Spanish crossing, they could certainly reduce them on a crossing of less than 6 hours. It will be interesting how the Galacia food offering pans out and whether that is the new normal.

If anything on the e-flexer the dedicated self service has been dropped as the Azul restaurant aboard Galicia will offer a mixture of chef served dishes and those which you help yourself to in a similar manner to what Spain's Melia hotels group do. You're still choosing from from different lists... which is the essence of A la Carte.

the Tapas area will also be serving main courses for lunch & dinner too.

4 minutes ago, jonno said:

You're still choosing from from different lists... which is the essence of A la Carte.

Be interesting how it pans out, I suspect that a lot of the food will be of the boil in a bag variety given the difference in crewing - that is not necessarily a bad thing if they can give a decent experience at less cost then that benefits everyone. I believe that the Azul menu will also be served in the other area at peak season as well.

BF have large shore based kitchens in Roscoff which can be stepped up to supply much more cook/chill products to the fleet than it does already and scale down on the on board freshly prepped and cooked. Would be much cheaper and more flexible, although sadly more Dover Calais than what we are used to.😭

Even in the current climate of vastly reduced passenger numbers the self-service on MSM served a delicious sirloin of beef on Friday afternoon and the boeuf bourguignon over the past couple of months has been consistently good too - if you like beef that is...

Certainly far superior to anything offered on the short seas routes

Chris

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Even in the current climate of vastly reduced passenger numbers the self-service on MSM served a delicious sirloin of beef on Friday afternoon and the boeuf bourguignon over the past couple of months has been consistently good too - if you like beef that is...

Chris

Thanks for that re assurance Chris. Fortunately I do love beef and we are due back on the Mont next July (I know but..) I just hope that it doesnt go Dover ish even if I have to pay a bit more, it would be worth it.

56 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Chris

The fish and chips wasn't bad either! 

Ed. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Chef said:

The other tug (Carlo Martello) now showing Fosen , Norway as her destination .

Rumoured that one yesterday, although I thought 1 tug would handle it. The journey will take 7 to 8 days.

Capture.JPG

Edited by TonyMWeaver
On 24/10/2020 at 01:07, jonno said:

I get that but historically Shippax don't tend to print rumour or whispers. The shipyards and shipping companies speak to them first hand plus it's a trusted industry publication with a £350 annual subscription if you want the full story. 

They've been told something straight from the horses mouth and in equal measure have been told not to let too many cats out of the bag.

BF know what they want, they thought they were getting it in Honfleur and as Solo says another 12 months is stretching it... It only takes the Chinese that long to fit out a E-Flexer from scratch. Honfleur's modules arrived from Gdansk fully fitted and McGregor fitted the internal vehicle ramps & hoists prior to launching the hull.

I’d love to see the source that her passenger modules were fully fitted on arrival from Gdansk, as I’ve reliably been told the opposite! The year estimate was from FSG themselves.  

Timelines in China are quick because labour is cheap and plentiful.  Hence them still being on time (actually slightly ahead of schedule) despite the country being shut down because of Covid!!!  Having a standardised process helps - Weihai is essentially a production line now.  It is unfair to compare such builds with one offs.

For the record, Shippax is now about £380.  They’ve put the price up.

Edited by tarbyonline
  • Gareth locked this topic