HONFLEUR - New Build for Ouistreham Route - CANCELLED

Andy

1 hour ago, tarbyonline said:

I’d love to see the source that her passenger modules were fully fitted on arrival from Gdansk, as I’ve reliably been told the opposite! The year estimate was from FSG themselves.

Personal emails from Anna-Lena Bubenheim. She did at one point even threaten to post on this forum until the project began to go pear shaped.

Cabin pods with unfurnished fixed & dropdown berths and bathrooms were already fitted. The navigation equipment was also fitted to the bridge prior to being towed from Gdansk in a similar way to WBY. Pipework, cable gantries

The yard did the same for Ulstein earlier this year without the cabin option as the yard has the space & capacity to do that themselves but they still had all of the pipework, pre-fitted cable racks etc.

I think there's more in the same way being constructed for Discovery.

The subscription? I couldn't really say Steve as my access to it and the database is paid for by a third party.

Glad you've popped up,

Do you have any idea who is commencing the Rosslare - Le Havre route after both ports held successful meetings on the 9th October?

12 hours ago, jonno said:

Do you have any idea who is commencing the Rosslare - Le Havre route after both ports held successful meetings on the 9th October?

This is going off-topic but said meeting seems to have more been about an ambition at this stage. It's a bit premature to think there will actually be a service.

Politicians and port authorities can wish all they like for routes but they need operators willing to take a risk to operate them.

If there is to be a daily Ireland - France route (and it's a huge risk as there is lots of spare capacity already) the most sensible and likely solution is for Stena Line to add a second ship to their Rosslare - Cherbourg route.  Even then, if the Irish government thinks it is so important they should be offering some sort of subsidy.  The noise over direct Ireland - EU mainland ferry capacity often loses sight of reality.

All that said, we live in times where many surprising things are happening so who knows.

Edited by RickOShea
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, jonno said:

Personal emails from Anna-Lena Bubenheim. She did at one point even threaten to post on this forum until the project began to go pear shaped.

Cabin pods with unfurnished fixed & dropdown berths and bathrooms were already fitted. The navigation equipment was also fitted to the bridge prior to being towed from Gdansk in a similar way to WBY. Pipework, cable gantries

The yard did the same for Ulstein earlier this year without the cabin option as the yard has the space & capacity to do that themselves but they still had all of the pipework, pre-fitted cable racks etc.

I think there's more in the same way being constructed for Discovery.

The subscription? I couldn't really say Steve as my access to it and the database is paid for by a third party.

Glad you've popped up,

You left out that the public accommodation is essentially an empty shell with only basic wiring (unconnected) in place, no floors, no ceilings, no furniture, and no decor.  That’s not largely fitted out!  Finishing the wiring alone will take a lot of man hours.  Yeats’ modules were delivered with much of that already done, even then she was a nightmare to fit out.  FSG took how they built RoRo’s and scaled it up, totally underestimating the complexity of Ro-Pax’s. 
Fosen are now going to have to come in behind on a project that was never meant to be finished elsewhere and pick up the pieces.  That’s a totally different proposition from a project that was always meant to be finished elsewhere of course, which will have had a proper handover process.  

At the moment nobody is taking on Rosslare - Le Havre.  All that’s really happened is that the two ports have said they would be open to such a service.  In the same way that all those years ago Dun Laoghaire said it was open to a service - we are still waiting.

I pop on here now and again but tbh I’m too busy to hang around on a regular basis.  

23 minutes ago, tarbyonline said:

You left out that the public accommodation is essentially an empty shell with only basic wiring (unconnected) in place, no floors, no ceilings, no furniture, and no decor.  That’s not largely fitted out!  Finishing the wiring alone will take a lot of man hours.  Yeats’ modules were delivered with much of that already done, even then she was a nightmare to fit out.  FSG took how they built RoRo’s and scaled it up, totally underestimating the complexity of Ro-Pax’s. 
Fosen are now going to have to come in behind on a project that was never meant to be finished elsewhere and pick up the pieces.  That’s a totally different proposition from a project that was always meant to be finished elsewhere of course, which will have had a proper handover process.  

At the moment nobody is taking on Rosslare - Le Havre.  All that’s really happened is that the two ports have said they would be open to such a service.  In the same way that all those years ago Dun Laoghaire said it was open to a service - we are still waiting.

I pop on here now and again but tbh I’m too busy to hang around on a regular basis.  

To correct myself (as I managed to mis-type), the accommodation blocks were delivered not fitted out but some work has since been completed as I have described above.  

So not quite an empty shell as I managed to imply/mid-type above.  Must stop trying to multitask!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tarbyonline said:

When its all finally ready for sea, the snagging list will be immense. No one could be expected pick up the part installed wiring correctly for instance, to name but one problem. Good luck to the yard.

• Like 1

It is interesting that the yard will be starting on the completion without a customer (unless there really is one !), the shippax article said that it would be laid up until a customer is found.

Hopefully the yard will take full responsibility and just get on with whatever needs doing, I feel that the FSG problem was just layers and layers of subcontractors - I imagine that costs of the lawyers for each contract were large.

Presumably Bureau Veritas will continue with the certification part.

43 minutes ago, David Williams said:

It is interesting that the yard will be starting on the completion without a customer (unless there really is one !), the shippax article said that it would be laid up until a customer is found.

Hopefully the yard will take full responsibility and just get on with whatever needs doing, I feel that the FSG problem was just layers and layers of subcontractors - I imagine that costs of the lawyers for each contract were large.

Presumably Bureau Veritas will continue with the certification part.

May now be DNV-GL.

Here's the link to the website, for the pedantic amongst us.

https://www.dnvgl.com/

On 24/10/2020 at 18:36, jonno said:

If anything on the e-flexer the dedicated self service has been dropped as the Azul restaurant aboard Galicia will offer a mixture of chef served dishes and those which you help yourself to in a similar manner to what Spain's Melia hotels group do. You're still choosing from from different lists... which is the essence of A la Carte.

Sounds not dissimilar to how The Met works on STENA MERSEY to be fair.  The most popular (and less sensitive to holding) meals are available there and then, while things like steaks are cooked to order and served to the table.  

I wouldn't call it the "essence" of À la carte, more like a buffet with limited table service (I note the word buffet is even used in Brittany Ferries own description of Azul). 

• Like 1

on one of the photos on the niferry link a few posts back you can see a couple of people standing right at front of her bow as they start to tow her out.

So would they travel on her all the way or somehow get off then onto a small boat as i would have thought that there is no power on her?

• Gareth locked this topic