HONFLEUR - New Build for Ouistreham Route - CANCELLED

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That may well be the view being presented for now, but things can change. My point being that until the several thousand tons of hull sat floating actually have a decided future, I wouldn't 100% disco

I get the impression we've put more hours into this thread than the German shipyard have into the real ship. Ed. 

And don't forget that the ship's real achievement was the production of zero CO2 emissions, zero waste water and zero satisfied passengers for the whole of the 2019 summer season. Ed. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Aiden said:

Can anyone guess the launch date!!!!!

It will be on schedule, FSG are good at this bit. As discussed before it is 93 working days from the 6th August which I believe will be the 13th December as I would expect a Thursday launch.

The boat that launches will have 6 decks.

Edited by David Williams
2 hours ago, giloine said:

Some adjustments seem to have empty space .... I think it's normal ....(sorry for my poore english in french we say "il y a du jeu")?

Hopefully the gaps will be welded or it may not float very well !

it is good to see it with the bow, it looks like a proper ship.

19 minutes ago, Malc said:

Is that a temporary bow door?  Can't see a split if it opens to each side. Or does it lift up.  I thought that was not used now due to Baltic problems.

It looks like there might be hinges behind, from the video. I assume it's welded shut whilst they crane it in place.

Bow and clamshells are complete, penguin is spot on observing the hinges.

2 hours ago, Malc said:

I thought that was not used now due to Baltic problems.

You're right, no northern Central European yard will build a passenger ferry with a bow visor, you may find the odd smaller builder in Scotland and Spain.

2 hours ago, hhvferry said:

Surely the shipyard will build whatever is agreed between whatever mix of the company, naval architects, country authority and classification society needs to be happy with the design.

This was written to do with bow integrity 15 years ago by a close friend of over 25 years who is a Naval Architect in Scandinavia and works for a particularly well known company.

The full document is available online for anyone to read at any time.

Visor systems consist of one door, “the visor”, which is hinged to the hull by two hinges, positioned on the weather deck. The visor opens upwards in a rotating track around these hinges. Since the hinges are normally positioned aft of the visor, the sea forces are directed in the opening direction of the visor and the locking devices can therefore be subjected to heavy loads. Visors have not been installed on new civil ferries, at least not in Europe [1], since MV Estonia lost her visor and sank. Although many ferries still have visors, they have not been designed for a long time and are therefore not part in this analysis.

We are booked for the end of July 2019, on Honfleur, and have just looked at the timetable and have just seen her first service date is now due to start in the 2nd week of July and not in the June anymore ??

Edited by Eddies
6 minutes ago, Eddies said:

We are booked for the end of July 2019, on Honfleur, and have just looked at the timetable and have just seen her first service date is now due to start in the 2nd week of July and not in the June anymore ??

I am sure that you will find the Normandie very comfortable !

June was only a target, it has always been July in the timetables & I really can’t see it being ready before September, however maybe it will surprise us.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, jonno said:

I always thought she was due to start on the 9th or 10th of July hence our booking for Saturday the 13th?

Originally, and still on the Honfleur site, they talked about June.

However given WB Yeats which launched in January is still at the Pier having returned from sea trials and Alf Pollak which launched in May has spent the last month in Dry Dock, I would not put a large wager on July in service.

image.png.c6745c0e8c455016acaf168444f31e82.png

• Like 1
3 hours ago, David Williams said:

I would not put a large wager on July in service.

I'm fairly confident.

FSG together with BF are supervising the Polish subcontract work far more closely than the WBY build, lessons have been learnt and improvements will continue. Worth remembering that FSG aren't an experienced passenger ferry builder, this is a new market for them, it's been a steep learning curve. 

Yes they'll possibly suffer financial penalties for late delivery but I.F new what they were getting into and overall are paying a bargain price. They're not too disheartened as even considering all the problems I.F haven't pulled out of their 2nd build from the yard which is next on the blocks and will dwarf Ulysses.

• Andy changed the title to HONFLEUR - Arriving in 2019
  • Gareth locked this topic