HONFLEUR - New Build for Ouistreham Route - CANCELLED

3 hours ago, David Williams said:

Most of the demo is driving a lorry onto a ship, the worrying bit is that it seems that the dockers are the only ones allowed to unload it, that will end in tears when they want more money, no more popping to Cherbourg if there is a strike on and they need a refill.

I can’t see that the dockers would be allowed to unload a LNG road tanker, the driver would of have to had taken a few courses to pass his dangerous goods licence.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That may well be the view being presented for now, but things can change. My point being that until the several thousand tons of hull sat floating actually have a decided future, I wouldn't 100% disco

I get the impression we've put more hours into this thread than the German shipyard have into the real ship. Ed. 

And don't forget that the ship's real achievement was the production of zero CO2 emissions, zero waste water and zero satisfied passengers for the whole of the 2019 summer season. Ed. 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, captjack said:

I can’t see that the dockers would be allowed to unload a LNG road tanker, the driver would of have to had taken a few courses to pass his dangerous goods licence.

Agreed, I'll also suggest that BF have chosen this fuelling system as it's mobile and can be achieved at any of their French ports an HGV has access to.

43 minutes ago, Andy said:

The young lady is now sporting the BF logo 

To stop any arguments I shall call it an It, ships in France are male.

Just like the big Lizzie If it spends anymore time idling in the Flensburg Fiord it will need a dry dock and clean during its first year in service😂

11 minutes ago, alleeganger10 said:

To stop any arguments I shall call it an It, ships in France are male.

Just like the big Lizzie If it spends anymore time idling in the Flensburg Fiord it will need a dry dock and clean during its first year in service😂

I started a discussion about that and not all ships are male in France it depends on size and other variances .

I guess we'll have a better idea of their expectations when the second batch of timetables is released mid-October. If she's not included at that stage but they say that Normandy may be replaced at some point then the indicated handover date of December may still be correct. If there is no mention of her at all it would suggest they are not optimistic and don't want to give false expectations to their customers. Ed. 

Given that there is clearly work going on (and so “no work taking place” is not the reason like it was earlier in the year), do we know what the reason is for the continuing delay?  Is there a problem that has been uncovered that is taking time to solve, or is it just a case if the pace of work being so slow?

Sure, the problems they had at the yard may account for 3 or 4 months of the delay, but it sounds like it’s now going to be pushing up towards a year. Starting to feel like there is more going wrong than just the temporary shutdown of the yard?

Before they turned her around there was a lot of scaffolding around the funnel area and what looked like a large tent (similar to what the Navy use in Portsmouth) on her aft deck where the tank and crane assembly will be. Aside from that there may still be interior work ongoing but the webcam angle doesn't show if the bow door is open or not. Ed. 

Surely it's reached the point where BF say give us the ship or forget it.  There's got to be something in it for BF to keep hanging on like this, is someone compensating them somewhere just to keep the yard going, it would be bad if they walked away.

14 minutes ago, Solo said:

Surely it's reached the point where BF say give us the ship or forget it.  There's got to be something in it for BF to keep hanging on like this, is someone compensating them somewhere just to keep the yard going, it would be bad if they walked away.

I don`t think they`ll walk away, although I have little doubt this possibility has been explored. I think they will try to stick with the project, although their patience must be close to exhaustion by now. If I was a betting man I would go for an entry into service of May next year.....for what that`s worth.

Personally I don't know what the issue is, MSM was 9 months late, Armorique was 5 months late, there were no conspiracies or conjecture surrounding them?

She's not exactly needed so why all the impatience? BF have said spring 2020 so until they say any different, spring 2020 it is.

• Like 1

I think the conjecture is due to the yard having and still undergoing serious financial issues. Then BF put back opening the summer bookings. Again the conjecture being they dont know what cards they have in the pack, or when they will get the full deck. When asked recently for an entry into service, they obfuscate to a high degree. 

Sadly its such events that inevitably drive speculation. Its human nature......as long as it never gets as bad as the recent Thomas Cook on another forum though

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, jonno said:

Personally I don't know what the issue is, MSM was 9 months late, Armorique was 5 months late, there were no conspiracies or conjecture surrounding them?

She's not exactly needed so why all the impatience? BF have said spring 2020 so until they say any different, spring 2020 it is.

But in that case why didn't they say that originally ('...by June 2020') and then get a lot of good publicity by announcing she would actually be in service ahead of schedule? Surely that makes more sense. Ed.

9 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

But in that case why didn't they say that originally ('...by June 2020') and then get a lot of good publicity by announcing she would actually be in service ahead of schedule? Surely that makes more sense. Ed.

Ed, the BF Honfleur site says the sea trials will commence in November 2019, delivery will be December 2019 and she enters service in March 2020.

I was referring to the original press announcements which said she'd be in service by June 2019 (I think). My point is that if they know that such complex projects are generally delivered late (be it 2 or 12 months) why not be cautious and give yourself extra leeway to get the vessel up and running and then introduce her early if the circumstances allow rather than have to admit to delays?

I always give myself 8 days for a 5,000 word translation project, for example, and share that deadline with my customer. I generally only need 5 days (assuming there are not hiccups) and therefore normally send them the work ahead of schedule which generates good will and a sense of satisfaction on their behalf, especially as they often submit the original later than promised due to last minute changes. 

Ed. 

• Gareth locked this topic