HONFLEUR - New Build for Ouistreham Route - CANCELLED

7 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

That is a fantastically useless post! More interesting would be the opposite of most likely - being 'Normandie is the ship you'll be travelling on instead of Honfleur when she is another year late' :D (never the skeptic!)

I have never believed the 2019 handover, however Siem (before they sold out) did say that Honfleur would be handed over in Q1 and I imagine that is consistent with the yard financing as the other Siem ship should be handed over in the same timeframe.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That may well be the view being presented for now, but things can change. My point being that until the several thousand tons of hull sat floating actually have a decided future, I wouldn't 100% disco

I get the impression we've put more hours into this thread than the German shipyard have into the real ship. Ed. 

And don't forget that the ship's real achievement was the production of zero CO2 emissions, zero waste water and zero satisfied passengers for the whole of the 2019 summer season. Ed. 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I have never believed the 2019 handover, however Siem (before they sold out) did say that Honfleur would be handed over in Q1 and I imagine that is consistent with the yard financing as the other Siem ship should be handed over in the same timeframe.

Hope you are right:) Was anyone booked on Honfleur and then bumped off, or was the inventory never released?

Just now, hf_uk said:

Hope you are right:) Was anyone booked on Honfleur and then bumped off, or was the inventory never released?

I was originally on the Honfleur for  last September which morphed into the Normandie, however the Honfleur is currently in the time table for this September.

Looking at a possible trip in September which would involve the Honfleur/substitute (delete as applicable) and I looked for the speciality lounge. Now the one on the Barfleur is properly access controlled, having paid extra for it. However BF state that the lounge will be set in a quiet corner with better seats tea/coffee etc but is not a dedicated lounge and open to passers by. Pretty much same as in the Nex. Suprising, I thought they`d do it differently. Imagine if you end up on a St Trinians crossing!!

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

That’s a curious one as, to my knowledge (but hhv will correct me if I’m wrong), twin level loading is almost non-existent in the Med.

Then again, there is precedent for ferries built as twin-level loaders (and in practice not viable to operate otherwise) moving to the Med.  Off-hand, I can think of ships like the Sealink Saints and PoFE/Oleander that have operated successfully in the Med.  With those examples, what did they do with their upper vehicle decks?  Install accommodation?  I guess if they were able to do it then there is no reason why Normandie couldn’t carve out a life in the Med.

On the other hand.....in those days, Mediterranean ferries being second-hand discards from Northern Europe was the norm.  Now they bulld their own to order.  So it may not be that easy.

Firstly I think Normandie has an internal ramp already, albeit not one designed for great throughput but it might be made to work.

But internal ramps! 🤩 One of my favourite subjects and one we don't talk enough about!

Yes multiple-level loading ships going to Southern Europe will always need some sort of conversion. Ships like the former St Brendan, her sisters, the Norland/Star (and Wind/Wave), the 1989/90 Olaus and the Fantasia were good buys for operators because their multiple freight decks could be accessed by existing ramps.

The upper freight deck of the Sealink Saints was a special case because it was in fact was more ramp than deck, designed to serve UK ports without twin level loading (e.g. Folkestone):

img_9975_bari_anselm_2015_ramp1.jpg

Bari (St Anselm)

But for everything else heading south the answer was to bite the bullet and stick a ramp in - after all the cost of doing so would not be huge compared to the cost of the ship in the first place. Hence:

anthimarina__ramp1_redo_12.jpg

Anthi Marina (Spirit of Free Enterprise)

325781.jpg

Sherbatskiy (Pride of Free Enterprise)

img_4702primrose_blunavy_ramp1.jpg

Primrose (Princesse Marie-Christine)

oujda_2006_ramp23.jpg

Oujda (Viking Venturer) - on which the top level of the upper freight deck was converted into cabins but the bottom half remained as a deck for cars.

Anyway, hopefully an inartfully worded tweet means that all this is still a long way off for the Normandie...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

BF as a whole never say anything unless they really have to and when they do on many occasions it's only a very brief grey response such as their fondness for the term "technical issue".

It was only through forum members having a bit of dig that we discovered both Galicia and Salamanca would actually be later than originally announced, no one at BF Towers said a word. 

They're certainly not about to say anything concrete regarding Honfleur or Normandie this early in the year.

I doubt they'll be selling Normandie though as SOMANOR was created to include Le Havre and the financial input of Seine-Maritime and apart from the Chartered Etretat they don't have another vessel unless they build, buy or charter one.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Macc2010 said:

est-ce que quelqu'un a des problèmes pour accéder à la webcam du hall du bâtiment de FSG?

il continue de proposer une boîte de connexion demandant un nom d'utilisateur et un mot de passe, mais la webcam numéro 2 fonctionne bien.

Same problem for me (in france)

Rumour has it that it's a secret entrance to a jam butty mine and the diddy men disconockerate it when they enter.

... or possibly when FSG do something proprietary and switch off the public access for a day or two. They did it at the beginning of the WBY and Honfleur builds but not the RoRo's and when live again three or four keel sections had appeared, strange. I wonder if they have something patented which isn't for public consumption.

9 hours ago, jonno said:

. or possibly when FSG do something proprietary and switch off the public access for a day or two. They did it at the beginning of the WBY and Honfleur builds but not the RoRo's and when live again three or four keel sections had appeared, strange. I wonder if they have something patented which isn't for public consumption.

That would be my guess. It may just be that the keel-laying ceremony, which involves executives from FSG and the customer, is kept private (or with exclusive Web access) for promotional and internal use only. Ed. 

On 18/01/2020 at 08:16, Chef said:

Maybe they are going to introduce " Pay To View " 

Thats one way they could raise finance.  I believe it's popular viewing in certain parts of Ireland and Australia at the moment ;).

On 17/01/2020 at 20:59, jonno said:

... or possibly when FSG do something proprietary and switch off the public access for a day or two. They did it at the beginning of the WBY and Honfleur builds but not the RoRo's and when live again three or four keel sections had appeared, strange. I wonder if they have something patented which isn't for public consumption.

I hope so!  Or they could have turned it off because people keep writing articles and posting to social media and forums that there is still nothing happening 😜.  I know some of the OZ press tried to contact them about the lack of progress because they also contacted me to see if I knew anything (which I don't of course)!

7 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I'm sure that whatever is actually going on in build hall, it's riveting. Ed. 

If you crane your neck I'm sure your steely eyes will see.

• Gareth locked this topic