HONFLEUR - New Build for Ouistreham Route - CANCELLED

37 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

You’re 4 hours too slow @Jim 😉

That I am... though, in that case I'm surprised nobody has picked up on the word 'restaurant' seemingly been said in the singular... :)

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That may well be the view being presented for now, but things can change. My point being that until the several thousand tons of hull sat floating actually have a decided future, I wouldn't 100% disco

I get the impression we've put more hours into this thread than the German shipyard have into the real ship. Ed. 

And don't forget that the ship's real achievement was the production of zero CO2 emissions, zero waste water and zero satisfied passengers for the whole of the 2019 summer season. Ed. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

I'm impressed by that, the curved lounge area in the posh cabins has already caught my eye. the narrator also confirms two restaurants, A la Carte and one less formal facing the bow and the 2, 4 & 6 berths. The beach hut style appears very relaxing too.

12 minutes ago, jonno said:

I'm impressed by that, the curved lounge area in the posh cabins has already caught my eye. the narrator also confirms two restaurants, A la Carte and one less formal facing the bow and the 2, 4 & 6 berths. The beach hut style appears very relaxing too.

Yep it looks a really nice Spacious modern cabin very different from the rest of the fleet , it will be interesting to see if the other new ships follow in a similar vein.

6 hours ago, neilcvx said:

It does have a feel of the Stena Hygge lounge about it but with a French/Italian twist. 

It looks great - my main concern is 'how long will it last', and how practical it will be when everything is rammed on a busy sailing (but I'm sure that's been thought of)

4 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Who expects all the booze to be there unsupervised?!?

I'm always happy to supervise alcohol. Where do I apply?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
28 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

More news , technology this time.

And don't forget that the ship's real achievement was the production of zero CO2 emissions, zero waste water and zero satisfied passengers for the whole of the 2019 summer season. Ed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

I wouldnt mind betting she achieves the same for this summer season as well..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 22/01/2020 at 14:13, neilcvx said:

Yep it looks a really nice Spacious modern cabin very different from the rest of the fleet , it will be interesting to see if the other new ships follow in a similar vein.

That's only the equivalent of "Club Plus" on Armorique. Not many people will afford that. There is a shot of a standard cabin there - no innovation really it looks like which is a shame. It would be nice to see an overall increase in floor space of a standard 'box' cabin, but then that kind of devalues every other cabin of the same type in the fleet, so understandably hard to justify. 

There is a shot of a standard cabin there - no innovation really it looks like which is a shame. It would be nice to see an overall increase in floor space of a standard 'box' cabin, but then that kind of devalues every other cabin of the same type in the fleet, so understandably hard to justify. 

Surely, if you follow that logic there would be no improvements in standards. Cruise ship cabins have got bigger as time goes on as have the ships themselves. Feries have also got bigger but the cabins have't improved in size much. Perhaps there is just insufficient room if the number of cabins is geared to the vehicle capacity. It would be interesting to know just what the relationship is on a 'cruise' ferry between the volumes allocated to the garage, public spaces and cabin areas. All the interior space gets used for one thing or another so a balance has to be struck, a bit like the split between armament, armour and speed that dictated battleship designs.

3 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Surely, if you follow that logic there would be no improvements in standards. Cruise ship cabins have got bigger as time goes on as have the ships themselves. Feries have also got bigger but the cabins have't improved in size much. Perhaps there is just insufficient room if the number of cabins is geared to the vehicle capacity. It would be interesting to know just what the relationship is on a 'cruise' ferry between the volumes allocated to the garage, public spaces and cabin areas. All the interior space gets used for one thing or another so a balance has to be struck, a bit like the split between armament, armour and speed that dictated battleship designs.

But if you have a route offering two ships, one with a distinct advantage over the other, then surely everyone will try to opt for the new big cabins, and MSM will be the 2nd, poorer choice ?

But if you have a route offering two ships, one with a distinct advantage over the other, then surely everyone will try to opt for the new big cabins, and MSM will be the 2nd, poorer choice ?

I think most people book according to their travelling needs, not which ship might be rostered. It would hardly be the first time that two disparate ships have been sharing, as in the past on the St Malo run for example. You still get a cabin, but on an overnight route as long as the basic amenities are provided, I doubt if the size would be a deciding factor. And whatever the size of the cabin, occupying one on the Portsmouth/Caen route where you have to get up at an unearthly hour doesn't make for the best experience. When using that route my priority, and in fact a cast iron requirement, is to take a day crossing!

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

It’s already the case that one ship on the route is superior to the other.  Has always been the case in the history of the route.  So it’s nothing new.

10 minutes ago, Gareth said:

It’s already the case that one ship on the route is superior to the other.  Has always been the case in the history of the route.  So it’s nothing new.

Superior, but not vastly difference in size...

If you look at a 4 berth standard inside across the fleet - there is really nothing more than a few inches in the dimensions, right?

• Gareth locked this topic