HONFLEUR - New Build for Ouistreham Route - CANCELLED

8 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Interesting news out of Australia, RE: FSG.

Thanks to Steve @tarbyonline for the tip off

Contract with troubled German shipyard cancelled
After months of speculation, a troubled German shipyard's contract to build Tasmania's new Bass Strait ferries has been cancelled.
A deal has already been signed with a new builder, however, with expected delivery of the first ship pushed back to late 2022.
Infrastructure Minister Michael Ferguson has announced TT-Line and Flensburger Schiffbau-Gesellschaft mutually agreed to cancel the contract that would have seen the new Spirits enter service next year.
Delays in the building of other ships - and uncertainty over FSG's finances - made it appear increasingly unlikely the TT-Line vessels could be delivered on time.
A Memorandum of Understanding signed between TT-Line and Finnish ship builder Rauma Marine Constructions sets "targets of late 2022 for hull 1 and late 2023 for hull 2", Mr Ferguson said.
That means the existing Spirits will sail on beyond the next state election due in 2022.
"The current Spirit of Tasmania ships continue to operate safely and efficiently, and are already emissions compliant as was required by 2020," the Minister said.
RMC was founded in 2014 and aims "to be the leading provider of car and passenger ferries in Europe".
It has contracts to build ferries for Scandinavian lines and corvettes for the Finnish navy at its shipyard at Rauma on the country's west coast.
Mr Ferguson commended TT-Line "for its prudent and responsible management of this significant investment, which has minimised exposure to the company and the state of Tasmania".
"Importantly, no payments to FSG have been made, and no payments will be made," he said.
"Furthermore, the majority of the work undertaken to date on the new vessels by TT-Line and their expert consultants is transferrable and can be utilised in the detailed design phase and contract negotiations with the new shipbuilder."

Contract with troubled German shipyard cancelled

Hopefully not Van der giessen de noord, all over again and the yard will survive more than a few months after Honfleur delivery! 😮

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That may well be the view being presented for now, but things can change. My point being that until the several thousand tons of hull sat floating actually have a decided future, I wouldn't 100% disco

I get the impression we've put more hours into this thread than the German shipyard have into the real ship. Ed. 

And don't forget that the ship's real achievement was the production of zero CO2 emissions, zero waste water and zero satisfied passengers for the whole of the 2019 summer season. Ed. 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Chef said:

I notice that the yard in Finland RMC  list Irish Ferries as  a previous customer , what vessel would that have been . 

It's also where Armorique, Barfleur, Cotentin & Normandie where built and are currently building Megastar II for Tallink.

Sad news for FSG and their workforce, maybe Meyer are looking for yet another location?

29 minutes ago, jonno said:

It's also where Armorique, Barfleur, Cotentin & Normandie where built and are currently building Megastar II for Tallink.

Sad news for FSG and their workforce, maybe Meyer are looking for yet another location?

Armorique 69F4C5F6-9418-4FB7-8DF9-DE08E049C4B6.thumb.jpeg.84b26d90304a99e08851767eaf37dc6b.jpeg

53 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Armorique 69F4C5F6-9418-4FB7-8DF9-DE08E049C4B6.thumb.jpeg.84b26d90304a99e08851767eaf37dc6b.jpeg

She and Cotentin and Barfleur were from the Helsinki yard rather than Rauma or the Turku yard which delivered Normandie. Although under common ownership at various times the yards, certainly in the 90s, seemed to plough their own furrows. 

The Rauma yard references include Color Magic and Spirit of Britain/France so they have the right experience for big jobs like the Tasmanian ships.

• Like 2

the Rauma-Yard never was Meyer Turku. The two Yards were one company as STX Europe and had one south korean owner. The Turku Yard was then sold to Meyer and the Rauma-yard supposedly closed. Then they reopened it and they are quite successfull today. I do not know who owns the Rauma-yard today.

Edited by Raik
2 hours ago, Raik said:

the Rauma-Yard never was Meyer Turku. The two Yards were one company as STX Europe and had one south korean owner. The Turku Yard was then sold to Meyer and the Rauma-yard supposedly closed. Then they reopened it and they are quite successfull today. I do not know who owns the Rauma-yard today.

It appears to be owned by Finnish Investment Funds, Private investors

Major equity investment in Rauma Marine Constructions

Rauma Marine Constructions Oy (RMC), a pioneer in arctic shipbuilding, will receive a major infusion of capital for further growth from three actors Finnish Industry Investment Ltd, Finda and a fund managed by Taaleritehdas. RMC’s strengthened position is yet another indication of the recovery of the Finnish shipbuilding industry.

Rauma Marine Constructions Oy (RMC) is a Finnish-owned shipyard with leading-edge expertise and technology in this field. Strategically, RMC specializes in the construction and maintenance of multi-purpose icebreakers, car ferries and naval vessels.

The infusion of capital and the involvement of major Finnish investors will contribute to the success and viability of the Finnish maritime cluster, and at the same time help keep the maritime industry’s value chain intact. Finnish Industry Investment Ltd, the fund managed by Taaleritehdas and Finda Oy participated in an investment round which will increase RMC’s share capital to nearly EUR 25 million. One of the existing owners, Kasvattajarahasto, managed by Aboa Venture Management, will also take part in the share issue. The strengthened capital position allows RMC to carry out major shipbuilding projects.

”The Finnish maritime industry is on the rise. We want to be involved in promoting the international growth of a company whose Arctic expertise is of the highest standard in the world,” says Investment Director Jussi Hattula of Finnish Industry Investment Ltd.

”The Finnish maritime industry represents the kind of expertise of high added value that our economy sorely needs. Together with our customers, we want to channel Finnish capital into this type of project. Taaleritehdas is pleased to be involved in strengthening the domestic ownership base which, in turn, will create jobs in Finland,” explains Chief Executive Officer Juhani Elomaa of Taaleritehdas.

“It’s great to witness the development of world-class expertise in one’s own country. We’re making a major investment in this fine growth company and its future with a view to potential listing in a few years’ time. Finda will be able to make its expertise in this area available to RMC,” says Finda’s Chief Executive Officer Jarmo Leino.

One of the objectives established by the Marine Industry 2020 working party appointed by the Ministry of Employment and the Economy is to develop Finland into a major global player in the marine industry. In Finland, the functions and services related to the Arctic marine industry are highly integrated and the entire value chain under local control.

“We’ll continue to be the number one choice as a supplier of car ferries, ice-breakers, naval vessels and as a partner, and we’ll contribute to the Finnish Arctic expertise on our part. By specializing and investing in skills and technology, Finland will continue to be an important player in the shipbuilding sector,” concludes President and Chief Executive Officer Heikki Pöntynenof RMC.

Established in the summer of 2014, Rauma Marine Constructions Oy (RMC) is a Finnish-owned shipyard with leading-edge expertise and technology. Strategically, RMC specializes in the construction and maintenance of multi-purpose icebreakers, car ferries and naval vessels. Read more at www.rmcfinland.fi.

FSG Statement re cancellation https://www.fsg-ship.de/wordpress/en/fsg-confirms-the-amicable-cancellation-of-two-shipbuilding-orders-with-tt-line/

Interesting line in the release “This decision has been taken with the mutual consent of all parties concerned and is part of our reorientation of FSG as we focus on building high-quality products on time and on budget.”

Mind you doesn't say that the products will be ships !

Edited by David Williams
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

A few weeks ago I likened the delivery of the Honfleur in October to the opening of Berlin Airport which was also supposed to be opening in October albeit after rather longer delays. I had an email earlier from Lufthansa advising me that a flight I am booked on to Berlin Tegel in the second week of November would now operate to Berlin Brandenburg so maybe we'll see the Honfleur in the same time scale! But then maybe I'll fly to Tegel after all.

17 minutes ago, Ian Walker said:

So why isn't any work being  done on the Honfleur?   I thought Brittany ferries want her done by now.   Even though FSG is in trouble as regarding financial situation.  But its not Brittany ferries problem.

I suspect that the last thing that BF want to do now is pay for a new ship !

Not only

11 hours ago, The Ferry Man said:

All the delivery penalties have been scrapped

Not only that, but there must remain the suspicion that advance payments have already been made, prior to delivery,due to the precarious financial state of FSG.

• Gareth locked this topic