HONFLEUR - New Build for Ouistreham Route - CANCELLED

Neil there was no way Irish Ferries were going to give up on the plan for another new vessel - the finance is there, post Brexit the demand will be there as hauliers will be wanting to access mainland Europe directly rather than going though the UK and likely delays at the ports. The problem is if delivery of WBY 2 really does take up to 3 years as Eamonn Rothwell hints then that's another 3 years of Visentinis between Ireland and France (perish the thought). I know Stena had considered the idea of substituting Horizon with Superfast X and replacing the cabins ripped out prior to her life in SeaFrance colours, but in their wisdom they chartered her out to Corsica Linea who lo and behold have done just that.

The one positive point is with the cruise industry in free fall I would imagine shipyards would bite ICG's arm off to build the new vessel, and in a hurry too. Although larger than the Yeats there is considerably less fitting out to do so I wouldn't be surprised if there is an announcement to that effect in the coming months.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That may well be the view being presented for now, but things can change. My point being that until the several thousand tons of hull sat floating actually have a decided future, I wouldn't 100% disco

I get the impression we've put more hours into this thread than the German shipyard have into the real ship. Ed. 

And don't forget that the ship's real achievement was the production of zero CO2 emissions, zero waste water and zero satisfied passengers for the whole of the 2019 summer season. Ed. 

Posted Images

Ropax David, remember the new ship is destined for Holyhead - Dublin, a really important route for the company especially as Stena are putting E-Flexers up as competition. Then once the new vessel is operating we get WB Yeats here in Cherbourg all year...(Yay!)

Chris

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Chef said:

Comrades , will there even be bread rolls,  ! 

I hope so. Don't forget that it'll be easier to catch the new round ones if they have resort to lobbing them over a large plexiglass screen. The French might not have the same bowling style as us civilised Anglo-Saxon cricketers but they have had plenty of practice with cobble stones over the years.

Ed. 

• Haha 3

You mentioned delivering wine in another post Solo. Poor old M Matthieu will be well past the vino stage by now, I might get our Roscoff establishment to deliver him a 10 litre container of meths. Option A drink the stuff -  Option B set fire to company HQ and go for an insurance claim

Chris

• Haha 2
19 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

go for an insurance claim

Funny you should mention that - I almost replied to the “Moving Bretagne” thread to  pontificate light-heartedly about the possibility of some plan to scuttle her in the middle of the harbour for that very reason.  But held off as I thought it might not go down too well!

(The speculation that is, not the ferry!) 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
25 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Funny you should mention that - I almost replied to the “Moving Bretagne” thread to  pontificate light-heartedly about the possibility of some plan to scuttle her in the middle of the harbour for that very reason.  But held off as I thought it might not go down too well!

A ha! could that be why Condor Rapide is bobbing about in the channel?

2 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

You mentioned delivering wine in another post Solo. Poor old M Matthieu will be well past the vino stage by now, I might get our Roscoff establishment to deliver him a 10 litre container of meths. Option A drink the stuff -  Option B set fire to company HQ and go for an insurance claim

Chris

I meant the wine for BFE headquarters and the Vodka for BF towers.

7 hours ago, Gareth said:

With the giant floats bolted on the side, you might not be wrong there either :P

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, Raik said:

Waouh !!! That's sad breaking news ! 

With the economic crisis they are certainly not going to hand over two boats to Ouistreham for a long time ? this may have precipitated the decision

It reminds me of the story of the Norman Leader. 

• Gareth locked this topic