HONFLEUR - New Build for Ouistreham Route - CANCELLED

On 19/06/2020 at 08:02, The Ferry Man said:

Trouble is we're being told not to use public transport - I'd love to go back on a train, it's the only way I can get to anywhere! You look on the NRE website and all that flashes up are messages basically telling you not to use them.

Your being told not to use them if you have an alternative.

if you have no alternative then you may use them to access any permitted activity!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That may well be the view being presented for now, but things can change. My point being that until the several thousand tons of hull sat floating actually have a decided future, I wouldn't 100% disco

I get the impression we've put more hours into this thread than the German shipyard have into the real ship. Ed. 

And don't forget that the ship's real achievement was the production of zero CO2 emissions, zero waste water and zero satisfied passengers for the whole of the 2019 summer season. Ed. 

Posted Images

Creditors' committee, self-administration and administration fight for the ship newbuilding 774: new offer for completion of the Honfleur. They submitted a new proposal to finish the ship to the financing institutions. It is unclear wether that would mean that BF would be the buyer in the end.

https://www.seereisenportal.de/news/kreuzfahrt-news-schifffahrtsnachrichten/fsg-glaeubigerausschuss-eigenverwaltung-und-sachwaltung-kaempfen-um-den-schiffsneubau-774-neues-an/

1 hour ago, Raik said:

Creditors' committee, self-administration and administration fight for the ship newbuilding 774: new offer for completion of the Honfleur. They submitted a new proposal to finish the ship to the financing institutions. It is unclear wether that would mean that BF would be the buyer in the end.

https://www.seereisenportal.de/news/kreuzfahrt-news-schifffahrtsnachrichten/fsg-glaeubigerausschuss-eigenverwaltung-und-sachwaltung-kaempfen-um-den-schiffsneubau-774-neues-an/

The article is quite interesting, it seems to be saying that the local town and Management would like someone else to give them money to keep their jobs - sounds familiar !

No errors in translation on this one, it's written in English and says "However, according to today’s decision of the board of creditors, the completion of ship 774 at the Flensburg shipyard is to continue. The board of creditors has also submitted a new offer to the financier for the completion of the newbuilding 774 by the FSG."

That presumably means they have offered BF a new price to take the hulk of their hands. But BF clearly stated that the price wasn't the issue. It was the uncertain delivery timetable that meant they felt unable to proceed. So how will they be able to justify paying less for something that is costing the yard more and arriving even later? Ed 

Edited by Cabin-boy
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

That presumably means they have offered BF a new price to take the hulk of their hands. But BF clearly stated that the price wasn't the issue. It was the uncertain delivery timetable that meant they felt unable to proceed. So how will they be able to justify paying less for something that is costing the yard more and arriving even later? Ed 

I am not sure that it does, I think that all it means is that the yard believes by spending money on it they will raise the value of the ship by significantly more than the cost of completing it and they are trying to get a speculator to trust their judgement ! A completed ship with certification could then be sold to a number of companies ( including BF)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Local business and political leaders in Flensburg and the Schleswig-Holstein area are apparently determined to get the ship finished and handed over to BF, if the latter will have it.

That's the word from a friend and former colleague who was in Flensburg [the city. not the yard itself] and Kiel on business last week, and had several meetings with the IHK [Chamber of Commerce] and sundry business and finance folk including people from the local ministry for economy and business. He was hoping to meet with Minister-Präsident Gunther, but that didn't happen [virus priorities, he was told]. 

He is an "entrepreneur, investor and manager in the engineering industry" to quote his CV, and some of the firms he met are either suppliers to FSB or have contacts there, so this "not quite inside" info. 

The locals say that the key issues are timing and quality, rather than price. "There are new people at the shipyard who know how to get things done." he was told.

He tells me he heard a couple of slightly different versions of who has legal ownership of the hull and how or when the final decision will be made, but admits that could be down to his understanding of business German rather than anything else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, kenw said:

Local business and political leaders in Flensburg and the Schleswig-Holstein area are apparently determined to get the ship finished and handed over to BF, if the latter will have it.

That's the word from a friend and former colleague who was in Flensburg [the city. not the yard itself] and Kiel on business last week, and had several meetings with the IHK [Chamber of Commerce] and sundry business and finance folk including people from the local ministry for economy and business. He was hoping to meet with Minister-Präsident Gunther, but that didn't happen [virus priorities, he was told]. 

He is an "entrepreneur, investor and manager in the engineering industry" to quote his CV, and some of the firms he met are either suppliers to FSB or have contacts there, so this "not quite inside" info. 

The locals say that the key issues are timing and quality, rather than price. "There are new people at the shipyard who know how to get things done." he was told.

He tells me he heard a couple of slightly different versions of who has legal ownership of the hull and how or when the final decision will be made, but admits that could be down to his understanding of business German rather than anything else. 

Thanks Ken, you do get the feeling that when BF cancelled the order it wasn’t the end of the story. Hopefully the parties can come to some sort of agreement and finish Honfleur.

10 minutes ago, nick hall said:

The locals say that the key issues are timing and quality, rather than price.

Don't the two former issues determine the latter? And haven't they been the key issues from day one? I'm pretty sure I remember BF saying they had put a team on board when the first hints of trouble emerged. What do they have to show for that extra vigilance and expense? Ed. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Don't the two former issues determine the latter? And haven't they been the key issues from day one? I'm pretty sure I remember BF saying they had put a team on board when the first hints of trouble emerged. What do they have to show for that extra vigilance and expense? Ed. 

Absolutely.  Time and Quality are always the key to determining price. That's why newbuild contracts relate final prices and penalties to progress / completion milestones and quality thresholds [engineer / surveyor reports, class, certification etc].  What I meant to say was that in the locals' eyes the cancellation was not caused by a dispute over money – but rather the other two.

If Honfleur is eventually accepted to join the fleet, I'm sure that the final price will reflect both the delay and the additional effort which BF has had to invest.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

BF have had their staff on site in both Germany & Poland since day one. Maybe BF demand a bit more from their chosen shipbuilder?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Did you make that expression up or is it some American term? Ed.  

If i remember correctly, the term used was 'Temporarily Mothballed' and that came from one of Portsmouth Brittany Ferries press team themselves. But it was before the shipyard went bust.

• Like 1
  • Gareth locked this topic