HONFLEUR - New Build for Ouistreham Route - CANCELLED

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That may well be the view being presented for now, but things can change. My point being that until the several thousand tons of hull sat floating actually have a decided future, I wouldn't 100% disco

I get the impression we've put more hours into this thread than the German shipyard have into the real ship. Ed. 

And don't forget that the ship's real achievement was the production of zero CO2 emissions, zero waste water and zero satisfied passengers for the whole of the 2019 summer season. Ed. 

Posted Images

In the press today Meyer Werft have stated that they will be halting production for six weeks. This is due to cruise lines cancelling orders and delaying delivery because of the COVID 19 market changes. Does this mean there could be shipyards with breaks in their production schedules who could complete unfinished ferries.

42 minutes ago, westy said:

In the press today Meyer Werft have stated that they will be halting production for six weeks. This is due to cruise lines cancelling orders and delaying delivery because of the COVID 19 market changes. Does this mean there could be shipyards with breaks in their production schedules who could complete unfinished ferries.

At present it is up to the administrators to decide what to do with the ship, it is not a BF problem anymore. I can't see BF being in a hurry to do anything at the moment, they are too busy trying to stabilise the company,

1 hour ago, westy said:

That was announced on Sunday and seems to have already upset many as they are worried about the possible delay of 'Spirit of Adventure'.

On 21/07/2020 at 12:49, Cabin-boy said:

That's clearly what's needed for any contract with a German shipyard these days. Ed. 

Just delete "German" and insert "– with the possible exception of those in China –" after "shipyard". 

Look around the world and we see yards closed permanently, others shut or with limited working because of Covid-19, and most of the rest cutting back on people, hours or scope of work. At least one well-known group is quietly doing the rounds of former competitors, asking if they can take on subcontract work ranging from block fab to fittings and fit-out.

Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention, but I'm not clear how much of the E-flexers is in-house and how much bought-in and from where.

Saw this on Steve's group:

'Honfleur' sold???

FSG: Transfer company secured for six months In the morning, the management of the insolvent Flensburger Schiffbau-Gesellschaft (FSG) informed the almost 700 employees at a works meeting about the further course. The FSG currently has no orders and no buyers. In a week, the majority of employees change to a transfer company. The meeting was briefly interrupted for a IG Metall rally. There the union announced news - and with it a little hope: The Norwegian ex-owner Siem will buy the large ferry "Honfleur". Then there would be money for the transfer company, which would be financially secured for six months. IG Metall rally in front of the FSG shipyard Schleswig-Holstein Magazin - 07/24/2020 7:30 p.m. The FSG's insolvency proceedings will open on August 1st. Until then, the employees hope for orders or a possible takeover. However, there were no concrete statements from the management.

Apparently order for two more ships The ship "Honfleur" is half finished in Flensburg at the pier. The previous client, the French shipping company Brittany Ferries, had surprisingly canceled the contract, according to the FSG - the last order in the yard's books. The company Siem has provided a loan in the millions for the construction of the "Honfleur" and therefore a great interest in the survival of the shipyard. It is still unclear whether and where the "Honfleur" will continue to be built. Investor Lars Windhorst has also announced that two RoRo ships will be commissioned for the shipyard. However, this is also not yet contractually signed. According to previous information, Siem also acts as the client.

There is a glimmer of hope at the Flensburg shipyard FSG. The ship "Honfleur" is apparently bought by the former owner Siem. The future of the shipyard is still uncertain. Many more question marks FSG managing director Martin Hammer said there will probably be around 300 employees who will continue to work at the shipyard and the other employees will then switch to the transfer company. This company is then only secured for six months. The shipyard has this time to find a solution. Important points will be set in one week, on July 31st. Then Schleswig-Holstein's Minister of Economics Bernd Buchholz (FDP) is also expected at the Flensburg shipyard
© NDR

https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/schleswig-holstein/Insolvente-FSG-Siem-kauft-offenbar-Grossfaehre,fsg334.html?fbclid=IwAR1TnoHrKvDAb-kJFQki7lqrISa_-iD3cFBPCS_WnU4G_J1TWwAVGWlYuw0

Edited by TonyMWeaver

Makes Sense if Siem believe that they can manipulate the situation to make money / recover a debt. They are in the business of building ships for Charter and maybe they have had an indication that BF might be interested in a 5 year charter with purchase rights like the eflexers.

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Or maybe Stena has purchased it for their new Portsmouth-Le Havre route 😉🤣

Have Stena ever run a ship from one of the British BF ports? I don't recall...

6 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Ah ok yeah cheers. That's not real Stena though. Not Red and White Stena 😉

Indeed.  Hence if that counts 😉.  Red and white Stena, with ships carrying Stena names, no.

So you’re right, maybe they’ll run their Le Havre service from Southampton then! 🤣

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Portsmouth to CI (and Cherbourg) in Stena Sealink days.  (If that counts).

Stena bought sealink in 1989 or 1990.

they withdrew from the Channel Islands in about 1986

I was thinking Stena bought Sealink in 1984.  But actually you’re right (it wasn’t actually until 1991).  The 1984 purchase was by Sea Containers.  Shows how the memory gets muddled! 😳

7 hours ago, Gareth said:

Or maybe Stena has purchased it for their new Portsmouth-Le Havre route 😉🤣

Maybe or maybe not... we'll find out very soon. Maybe even the opening of the BF Cherbourg/Rosslare route(competing with Stena) is an indication of Stena's future intentions in Le Havre.

for Portsmouth / Le Havre, I admit that anything is still possible. The information is very well preserved. From there to say that Stena could operate LH/ Portsmouth with HONFLEUR, why not, but I was thinking more of an E-Flexer. If this were to be the case, the GAS supply will be facilitated in Le Havre compared to Ouistreham.

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, LHCity said:

Maybe or maybe not... we'll find out very soon. Maybe even the opening of the BF Cherbourg/Rosslare route(competing with Stena) is an indication of Stena's future intentions in Le Havre.

for Portsmouth / Le Havre, I admit that anything is still possible. The information is very well preserved. From there to say that Stena could operate LH/ Portsmouth with HONFLEUR, why not, but I was thinking more of an E-Flexer. If this were to be the case, the GAS supply will be facilitated in Le Havre compared to Ouistreham.

Reminds me of that Monty python sketch the “flesh wound”

• Haha 4

My English is not very good (sorry) and having not followed this subject too much, could someone sum up the situation for me? What happens to the former HONFLEUR? Is it going to be finished? Are companies interested?

No one knows.  It is possible that the cancellation is really a negotiating tactic by BF, with the ultimate aim of getting the ferry finished and into service with BF.

Or it is possible that, post-covid, BF has taken stock of its new financial position and fleet deployment priorities and decided that they do not need any further expense on the ship.

Time will tell.

8 minutes ago, Gareth said:

No one knows.  It is possible that the cancellation is really a negotiating tactic by BF, with the ultimate aim of getting the ferry finished and into service with BF.

Or it is possible that, post-covid, BF has taken stock of its new financial position and fleet deployment priorities and decided that they do not need any further expense on the ship.

Time will tell.

Thanks,

The work continues to finish the ferry?

• Gareth locked this topic