Jump to content

HONFLEUR - New Build for Ouistreham Route - CANCELLED


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And don't forget that the ship's real achievement was the production of zero CO2 emissions, zero waste water and zero satisfied passengers for the whole of the 2019 summer season. Ed. 

I get the impression we've put more hours into this thread than the German shipyard have into the real ship. Ed. 

Looks as though BF have taken note of your observation... With the launch date now rapidly approaching (14th December) more information surrounding the Honfleur will be released by BF over t

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, colin said:

Isn't Honfleur mentioned as the ship on our pier belonging to Siem?

Yes, the works council guy is quoted as saying :-  To this end, I am asking Mr Siem if the ship currently at our pier, newbuilding 774, can be completed in Flensburg. Then additional colleagues from the vital transfer company can be re-employed by FSG.”

But that sounds more like a wish than anything concrete. This makes it clear that the retained staff could not complete the Honfleur, it would require extra staff from the transfer company.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

The complicated way BF is run and funded along with the complicated ship ownership means that there’s probably a complicated way that she could be funded that would enable BF to run her to Ouistreham.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

It's also a highly specialised vessel, with a unique fuel system. Not sure who else would want her...

Would the Tasmanians perhaps be interested to at least provide one of the two vessels they were hoping to order from FSG?

Ed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

To me it reads that they (BF) are interested at buying/chartering her from whoever owns her now, probably at a much reduced rate and in a time-frame that suits them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Siem annual report (https://www.siemindustries.com/reports-2/)  has an informative section:-

All shares in FSG were sold during the year but there are substantial loans outstanding from the yard. At the end of April this year, FSG went into self-administered reorganisation. The leadership of the yard by its chairman and management was dysfunctional for a long time. Management of subcontractors on which the yard depended to a large extent, has not been effective. One main subcontractor, Kongsberg Group of Norway was let down by two of its subcontractors which were key to the electric installations and the LNG plants on the RoPax vessels under construction at the yard and who both ran into financial difficulties.

I note that Nigel said that the Honfleur had been sold, however I think that it was just repossessed by Siem as it was collateral for the loans. The notes re the sub contractors highlight how much is unfinished.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lapper said:

To me it reads that they (BF) are interested at buying/chartering her from whoever owns her now, probably at a much reduced rate and in a time-frame that suits them.

I've been saying that since the order was cancelled that BF could still have 'Honfleur'.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/08/2020 at 14:41, neilcvx said:

The complicated way BF is run and funded along with the complicated ship ownership means that there’s probably a complicated way that she could be funded that would enable BF to run her to Ouistreham.

you still hope for a possible positioning of the HONFLEUR in Ouistreham?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, David Williams said:

One main subcontractor, Kongsberg Group of Norway was let down by two of its subcontractors which were key to the electric installations and the LNG plants on the RoPax vessels under construction at the yard and who both ran into financial difficulties.

There seems to be a trend with subcontractor problems at FSG , the W B Yeats fiasco was subcontractor related .

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why doesn't Stena stump up a bit of cash and take honfluer... Then with the some creative financing put most of bfs honfluer stake into the flexers charter account, and give bf back cotentin for Poole. Bf would then have some readies to look for a  suitable short term charter vessel to replace nornandie and could then spend the few mill from barfys sale to put an accommodation shed on her as previously discussed. 

Edited by hf_uk
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Why doesn't Stena stump up a bit of cash and take honfluer... Then with the some creative financing put most of bfs honfluer stake into the flexers charter account, and give bf back cotentin for Poole. Bf would then have some readies to look for a  suitable short term charter vessel to replace nornandie and could then spend the few mill from barfys sale to put an accommodation shed on her as previously discussed. 

Have you been reading the Plymouth Herald again or did you come up with all that yourself?  😉 Ed. 

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

The new FSG is launched under the direction of Tennor

The execution of the purchase agreement has taken place as scheduled: several companies belonging to Tennor Holding have taken over 350 employees of the Flensburger Schiffbau-Gesellschaft (FSG) as well as the assets of the shipyard within the scope of a transferable restructuring as of 1 September, 2020.

In order to continue the restructuring process started in the insolvency proceedings, the new managing directors Stefan Kindler and Tarek Malak, who were seconded by Tennor Holding, will further build up the organization.

By the winter of 2020, the management of the Flensburger Schiffbau-Gesellschaft will be placed in the hands of a management team with years of experience. The talks are already well advanced. Their task will be to give the FSG a strategic orientation and to win further shipbuilding contracts in order to fill the shipyard on the Flensburg Fjord with civil and military newbuildings.

Flensburg, 1 September 2020


Press Contact:
Schellenberg & Kirchberg PR

Cord Schellenberg

Telefon: 040 59350500

mail@schellenberg-kirchberg-pr.de

https://www.fsg-ship.de/wordpress/en/the-new-fsg-is-launched-under-the-direction-of-tennor/?fbclid=IwAR3a2fj6R2khbWssFA6_k2auL0SJaw_HNq-_1iEoIE0GgR-JkVPEQB1IaDc

Link to post
Share on other sites

Any interested customer is going to do a bit of research before signing an order. How are FSG intending to ensure none of their previous incompetance is revealed to those customers? They can hardly suggest contacting previous satisfied customers for feedback.

Of course, if the German government wants them to build naval ships then that makes life easier as military procurement never comes in on time or budget.

Ed

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Any interested customer is going to do a bit of research before signing an order. How are FSG intending to ensure none of their previous incompetance is revealed to those customers? They can hardly suggest contacting previous satisfied customers for feedback.

Of course, if the German government wants them to build naval ships then that makes life easier as military procurement never comes in on time or budget.

Ed

There's a long line of satisfied FSG customers, from BC Ferries to UND to Cal Mac to DFDS. They'd need to get the old management and several of the key employees back before they tried anything new though and that talent may have long gone elsewhere.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, hhvferry said:

There's a long line of satisfied FSG customers, from BC Ferries to UND to Cal Mac to DFDS.

Absolutely true hhv, it’s not all been bad news. But I would suggest it’s not the wisest of moves to keep WB Yeats headlining their homepage, owned by probably the most dissatisfied customer (and justifiably so) since they started building ships there.

Chris

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...