Andy

HONFLEUR - New Build for Ouistreham Route

On 16/10/2018 at 11:39, David Williams said:

It cruised for about 8 hours so must be a bit slow, however it seems to have gone to Fayard Docks in Lindoe which is a dry dock & I suspect that there is a slight chance this is drifting off topic.

The visit to Fayard was for scrubber installation apparently

Dont see it mentioned here but W.B YEATS is on sea trials.  She is also the subject of a sabotage investigation as it seems someone closed a valve on the engine cooling system on the 17th resulting in an engine overheating and needing repairs!  Hence the delayed sea trials

https://www.niferry.co.uk/irish-ferries-w-b-yeats-sabotage-sea-trials/

I see Honfleur has got Wartsila engines

1 hour ago, Aiden said:

Honfluer has a stern  thrusters by the looks of it which other ships have got them

Pont-Aven, Cap Finistère and Armorique are fitted with stern thrusters. 

They are becoming more common, especially with vessels approaching and over the 200m mark.  The Superfast VII class have them as well of course but that doesn’t mean they didn’t need a third bow thruster added for short sea!  Not sure Stena use the stern thruster very often on the North Channel though

Edited by tarbyonline

Reading the current issue of Ferry & Cruise Review their "Other Brittany Ferries News"  say's that after Honfleur arrives on the 6th July and Normandie transfers to Le Havre, Etretat is to be returned to her owners.

I wonder if that’s true or is just their speculation based on her not appearing in the schedules.  We’ve not heard that from anywhere else.  I’d be surprised if BF lets Etretat go immediately, just in case there are problems with Honfleur.  Once Honfleur is settled in and de-teethed, then, yes, Etretat is surplus to requirements.

3 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

'Honfleur' is scheduled for delivery in late April, commencing service in June.

The schedules show Honfleur entering service in July, as jonno stated.  However, we all know how reliable delivery schedules are, so BF will be wise to allow for some contingency planning.  I bet IF wish they had done the same.....

Re Etretat, it really depends how bothered BF are with the Le Havre service. A late delivery of Honfleur just means that Normandie stays on the Caen route for longer and it will be pet friendly next year (like the Honfleur).They are closing the Le Havre route for a week this month plus almost 3 weeks in March and Fridays / Saturdays in February to cover the Spanish routes

Edited by David Williams

27 minutes ago, Gareth said:

True, but....they are bothered enough about it to upgrade it to a cruise ferry service.

Or, they have find a use for Normandie (because selling her would be difficult) and can't downgrade her status or description (without compromising the rest of the fleet) but need to send her to a port which is compatible with double-deck loading. Ed. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Or, they have find a use for Normandie (because selling her would be difficult) and can't downgrade her status or description (without compromising the rest of the fleet) but need to send her to a port which is compatible with double-deck loading. Ed. 

and if they rest her on the Le Havre route it will give them a useful boat to cover the Caen route when needed !

Yes, there are two interesting questions about the post-Honfleur era that we don’t know the answer to yet.  Will Le Havre stop being branded economie?  And will Armorique still be used as the Caen relief ship? (Or will Armorique sub for Normandie at Le Havre while Normandie relieves at Caen).

16 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Yes, there are two interesting questions about the post-Honfleur era that we don’t know the answer to yet.  Will Le Havre stop being branded economie?  And will Armorique still be used as the Caen relief ship? (Or will Armorique sub for Normandie at Le Havre while Normandie relieves at Caen).

I'd love to see Normandie replace Armorique, offering the BF service on the roscoff route with the economie-esque Armorique on the appropriate route. A boy can dream. (Though of course stranger things have happened... never expected the Duc or Pont L'Abbe on the route either) 

3 minutes ago, ollie@portsmouth said:

I'd love to see Normandie replace Armorique, offering the BF service on the roscoff route with the economie-esque Armorique on the appropriate route. A boy can dream. (Though of course stranger things have happened... never expected the Duc or Pont L'Abbe on the route either) 

There would be a lot of sense in that plan - but for one significant factor.  Neither Plymouth nor Roscoff has twin-level loading and Normandie’s internal ramp (such as it is) is not suitable for regular operational use.  It’s really there for emergencies.  Armorique’s internal ramp is her magic feature that makes her so versatile.

21 minutes ago, Gareth said:

There would be a lot of sense in that plan - but for one significant factor.  Neither Plymouth nor Roscoff has twin-level loading and Normandie’s internal ramp (such as it is) is not suitable for regular operational use.  It’s really there for emergencies.  Armorique’s internal ramp is her magic feature that makes her so versatile.

I know I know! Don't shatter my dreams Gareth! 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ollie@portsmouth said:

Will Le Havre stop being branded economie?

Looking at the booking system, the Normandie at Le Havre just shows as a Cruise ferry, however BDS is still there as an Economie. Shame really as I prefer  the current Etretat £20 cabin discount and more time in bed to a free breakfast !

Edited by David Williams

Sorry to jump in here but my impression of the prices does seem to indicate a little increase over what we normally pay when we use Le Havre. Two things to note however, the requirement to tick the economie box appears to be not there and also the night crossings show a breakfast allowance. Not sure about BdS maybe a bit more research is required.

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

How do Normandie prices compare with Etretat prices David?

The standard midweek overnight is the normal Etretat £79 before CV however I am sure that some crossings have gone up, plus the hidden £20 cabin discount has gone !

Using our crossing details from August/September this year on the booking engine for 2019 there does seem  to be a little change perhaps £5:00, that could be due to the days of travel. The cabins are more expensive but we do book pet friendly ones. As said in previous post the breakfast allowance is available.

That’s interesting.  Rather implies that BF is using “Economie” as an apology for the ship rather than as a different pricing tariff.