Andy

HONFLEUR - New Build for Ouistreham Route

4 minutes ago, hhvferry said:

Do we have any idea yet what links they'll make to town of Honfleur in the decor on the new ship?

Presumably a selection of paintings showing the inner harbour has already been commissioned to go in the cabins. Ed. 

I hope the bars/restaurants on board will have individual names. I couldn't work out why they don't on Armorique. It's one of the many little things which helps set BF apart.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ryan_H said:

I hope the bars/restaurants on board will have individual names. I couldn't work out why they don't on Armorique. It's one of the many little things which helps set BF apart.

I quite agree Ryan, it simply adds to the lack of identity/atmosphere on Armorique and for a ship serving their innaugural and therefore important route you would have thought the design team at BF could have tried just a little harder.

Chris

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, nottingham said:

Does the team think the hull launch will be achieved to schedule?  The workers do seem to be doing extra shifts!

Seems to be on-track... either that, or Andy's going to have to change his plane tickets :P

53 minutes ago, nottingham said:

Does the team think the hull launch will be achieved to schedule?  The workers do seem to be doing extra shifts!

It's so the saboteur can't sneak in when everyone has gone home. 'Ve are vatching you. Zere ist novhere to hide!' Ed. 

3 hours ago, nottingham said:

Yes Nottingham, I spotted them working yesterday as well...!

I personally think there’s never been any doubt about the hull being launched on time, their track record has been pretty well exemplary as far as I can see. It’s what happens after they drop the carcass into water that (third party) problems can occur. To the best of my knowledge BF have a team permanently in Germany overseeing events post mid December, not only to avoid the lack of joined up thinking that’s blighted the W.B Y., but also to ensure she is ready for that already published first sailing on the Ports-Caen schedule.

If all goes to plan I’ll be on that one ....🤓

Chris

• Like 1

The structures at the bow are brilliant white.  When will they paint the rest of the hull?  There's not much time before launch next Thursday.

Don't think so.  In the morning with very different lighting, you can see a big difference in the colour of the rest of the hull and those last bow sections.  They are so bright that they are saturating the webcam. They will have to paint over the weld lines as well.

I seem to remember that for the last launch the whole hull was painted along with the ship name on the bow before the launch.

I hope there will still be enough outside space, because on the views of artist and on the plans the ship seems pretty closed .... hope that the large space on the highest deck will be open to passengers ....

6 minutes ago, Andy said:

Works to commence shortly in Ouistreham in order to accommodate the Honfleurs increased length.

https://actu.fr/normandie/ouistreham_14488/port-caen-ouistreham-1-million-deuros-travaux-accueillir-ferry-honfleur_20135645.html

According to the article the work won't actually start until April next year and will last for a couple of months, costing around a million euros. What is due to start is the public consultation period, presumably to see if there any objections from other port users (hopefully not to the principle of enlarging the turning area otherwise they are going to have a problem but) to the disruption the work might cause. Ed. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Andy said:

Works to commence shortly in Ouistreham in order to accommodate the Honfleurs increased length.

https://actu.fr/normandie/ouistreham_14488/port-caen-ouistreham-1-million-deuros-travaux-accueillir-ferry-honfleur_20135645.html

Excellent thanks Andy, this answers a question. I knew they were extending the trailer hard standing but couldn't find any info about the berth and anti collision area. The PNA have said that the linkspan berth is 217 metres and anti collision 250 metres already. This announcement gives us a prime indication into just how much room a vessel only 14 metres longer than MSM needs.