Andy

HONFLEUR - New Build for Ouistreham Route

On 28/02/2019 at 10:38, jonno said:

Armorique, MSM & now Honfleur shout one word from the rooftops... versatility. Multi role, multi port vessels capable of carrying passengers in comfort whilst maintaining a high level of freight capacity. It's the appeal of the RoPax especially on short sea routes. Both MSM and Honfleur may never stray from their route but it doesn't detract from their ability to serve all of the western channel if needs be.

In real terms the only two ships in the fleet which are true cross overs of cruise ferry/Ropax are Normandie & Cap Finistere - less open deck vehicle space and a larger amount of promenade deck. Compare CF with other Superfast's, at the back they don't have superstructure beyond the funnel. Personally I think the E-Flexers are an evolution of this, take a look at the recent images of Stena Estrid, for all of their 214 metres there's not a great deal of open vehicle deck at the stern.

As Neil reminds us Pont Aven is a true cruise ferry designed for the longer sea routes, a floating hotel with onboard facilities which reflect this, I know they're a lot older but only the DFDS ships to Ijmuiden & the P&O's to Zeebrugge offer a similar experience.

There is something etiquetteley unique in the DFDS offerings for sure, older but unique vessels in this day in age.

1 hour ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Yes, this week has seen the MGO start her sea trials before heading to Turkey, the berth is empty now... ready for the next one to slide out of the hall, she's certainly come on rapidly considering the turmoil.

Still. No rush, I can't see BF tripping over themselves to get their hands on her now that she'll miss the summer peak months. It'll probably be a similar scenario to WBY now meaning she'll be ready to go for the Spring/summer 2020 timetable.

The Le Havre timetables have now been updated to show Etretat continuing through the summer.

However....there remains a strange inclusion of a weekly Normandie round trip in August.  Out from Portsmouth overnight on Fridays, and back from Le Havre at teatime on Saturday.  I wonder if these are supposed to have been changed to Etretat but there has been an oversight?  Normandie is still scheduled for her usual Ouistreham sailings at the same time....

Brittany Ferries is also constructing another new ship, Honfleur, at the FSG shipyard in Flensburg Germany, for delivery expected in late 2019.” 

After summer?

Certainly after Sept - my crossings to LH have been transferred to Etretat. News has gone quiet with regards the Honfleur, I assume things are progressing, not much (visible) change on the webcam

• Like 1

I have just viewed the web cam for Honfleur, and see that the ramp has been lifted, and that the shipyards is now due to for launch, and that one has been painted as was WBY, and unlike Honfleur.

Any guesses when honfluer will leave the shipyard and will do sea trials looks nearly completed on the outside

8 hours ago, jonno said:

It's Irish Ferries 2nd build on the blocks next isn't it?

Not yet , another Ro /Ro next and then the Irish Ferries build .

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Was this a tug move?

Yes, a tug move . The new build in  the building hall is being launched this morning and the heavy lift crane and superstructure has arrived for fitting . 

• Thanks 1

I note on the Honfleur page it now says:-

https://www.destinationhonfleur.com/en/news/honfleur-update

<<As you may have read, due to a delay at the shipyard, Honfleur will unfortunately now not be delivered in time for the summer 2019 season as originally hoped. However, work has now recommenced on the ship and both the shipyard and Brittany Ferries’ teams are working hard together to deliver the ship in time for the 2020 season. Please stay tuned to destinationhonfleur.com for updates. We look forward to bringing you the latest news and information about the project soon. We look forward to welcoming you on board Honfleur.>>

It doesn't sound that upbeat !

For BF the 2020 season might simply mean the new timetable period starting in November. All will perhaps be revealed in a couple of months. Ed. 

Interesting report out of FSG. The yard are delaying (omitting?) the start of the 8th RoRo for Siem in order to concentrate on Honfleur.

Looking at the FSG Hall webcam, there is certainly no work going on there.  The Hall has not been drained since the last launch a few weeks ago.

2 hours ago, Malc said:

Looking at the FSG Hall webcam, there is certainly no work going on there.  The Hall has not been drained since the last launch a few weeks ago.

Their have been deliveries by barge of hull sections from Poland coming trough the building hall lately and i suspect more to come , hence the caisson not back in position to drain the dock .

More hull segments being delivered today for the next newbuild.

does anyone have any news on the Honfleur?