Andy

HONFLEUR - New Build for Ouistreham Route

There were a number of pieces in the German papers at the start of May that said that FSG were still in discussions with suppliers and customers to try and make their future work profitable, that would then lead to state guarantees which would lead to getting loans to restart new work. The focus is to complete the 2 ships including Honfleur and get some cash for them.

One of the articles is https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/schleswig-holstein/Flensburger-FSG-Werft-weiter-mit-ungewissem-Kurs,fsg278.html

It links to a number of other ones

Edited by David Williams

On 27/05/2019 at 13:46, jamie said:

Looks like the Kiel was laid for the next simm RoRo 

On 27/05/2019 at 13:46, jamie said:

Looks like the Kiel was laid for the next simm RoRo 

Kiel is a port on Germany's Baltic coast........where as a KEEL is the bottom most structural member around which a hull of a ship is built. The keel runs along the centre line of the ship from bow to stern.

But I'm sure you knew that already 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

On 01/06/2019 at 01:47, canberra97 said:

So for my sarcastic reply I got two reactions, one LIKE and one SAD, what is it to be? Should we toss a coin? 😉

Aha, another person that starts a sentence with "SO". This is slowly replacing "like" as the repeated word of the decade.
"Tossing" anything on this forum will get the ire of the mods. I know.

Recently saw an obituary on a guy which summed him up.---" "xxxxx" was a very knowledgeable chap and keen to pass this on to others."

Larf.

Sorry for the early hours posting but my medicine gets me up at this hour. I wonder what its doing to my brain?

Toodle pip,

Stu

Edited by straightfeed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 29/05/2019 at 15:18, canberra97 said:

Kiel is a port on Germany's Baltic coast........where as a KEEL is the bottom most structural member around which a hull of a ship is built. The keel runs along the centre line of the ship from bow to stern.

Are we not nitpicking here?

I was fortunate enough to be public school educated and consider my spelling to be pretty good.... my local car mechanic who was thrown out of school aged 14 with no qualifications is now one of the wealthiest people in the village, and he breathes new life into my car when I wouldn't have a clue! I think it's fair to say we all have our strong and weak points, and just to keep the record straight it's whereas not where as canberra97....

Chris

PS this is a sarcastic reply as well...🤣

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Are we not nitpicking here?

I was fortunate enough to be public school educated and consider my spelling to be pretty good.... my local car mechanic who was thrown out of school aged 14 with no qualifications is now one of the wealthiest people in the village, and he breathes new life into my car when I wouldn't have a clue! I think it's fair to say we all have our strong and weak points, and just to keep the record straight it's whereas not where as canberra97....

Chris

PS this is a sarcastic reply as well...🤣

Agreed. One must never nitpick Chris:D 

Honfleur should be delivered by early 2020 & the second Irish Ferries ship has not got finance yet !

The 2018 report from Siem (https://www.siemindustries.com/?mdocs-file=4275) includes the following:-

Flensburger Schiffbau-Gesellschaft mbH & Co KG had revenues of €213 million, an EBITDA of €(102) million, and a net loss of €(111) million. The shipyard experienced substantial challenges on the financial and operational front in 2018. The roll-on/passenger (“RoPax”) vessel W.B Yeats for Irish Ferries was delivered substantially late at the end of 2018 at a material loss caused mainly by the lack of performance by subcontractors. FSG contracted for four additional vessels during 2018 including two passenger ferries and two ro-ro carriers. The current backlog is approximately €860 million consisting of four RoPax vessels and two Ro-Ro vessels.

One RoRo vessel was delivered in March 2019 and a second is expected to be delivered in the 3rd quarter 2019. One RoPax vessel is in the advanced construction stage and should be delivered by early 2020.

The remaining three RoPax vessels are delayed and awaiting construction finance.

FSG employs approximately 700 people. Shipyards in general are normally financed by lenders in the country of operation, often supported by the State. Our agreement to assist FSG and avoid its bankruptcy in 2014 assumed that such financing would be available for FSG as it had been in the past. The lenders’ requirements for drawdowns of construction financing were rigid and made such financing impossible. The Company has therefore provided substantial financial assistance to the yard. The intent has always been for the shipyard to function as a standalone operation based on backlog, shipyard financing and profitability in the future. The fierce competition within the world shipbuilding industry requires FSG to deliver exceptional efficiency and quality to survive. The Company’s ownership of FSG is considered as non-core and new equity in FSG was raised in the 1st quarter of this year by a private placement which diluted the Company’s holding in FSG to 24%. Changes in the yard’s management were implemented in early 2019.

Edited by David Williams

2 minutes ago, David Williams said:

The remaining three RoPax vessels are delayed and awaiting construction finance.

I assume the other two are the Australian TT Vessels?

I may be wrong but as far as I’m aware ICG (Irish Ferries parent company) have funding in place for the new Dublin - Holyhead vessel, they just don’t appear to have  signed on the dotted line yet ....O.o

Chris

7 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

I may be wrong but as far as I’m aware ICG (Irish Ferries parent company) have funding in place for the new Dublin - Holyhead vessel, they just don’t appear to have  signed on the dotted line yet ....O.o

Chris

The funding referred to is the state guarantees for the loans needed to build the ships. Without it they can’t finance them. Earlier articles in the German papers said that they would only get the guarantees if they could show that future work is profitable. 

I wonder if the ongoing delay is due to the German engineers trying to work out how to insert a round bread oven into a triangular hole. 😉 Ed. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Chris

Is that the vessel / route this second Irish newbuild be replacing do you know Chris?

I presume I.F are out of Roscoff for good now though?

22 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Chris

Is that the vessel / route this second Irish newbuild be replacing do you know Chris?

2 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Hull 777 Is due to partner Ulysses on the Dublin-Holyhead route. The 2nd ship is massive and will be the largest RoPax in terms of lane metres in the world.

17 hours ago, David Williams said:

The funding referred to is the state guarantees for the loans needed to build the ships. Without it they can’t finance them. Earlier articles in the German papers said that they would only get the guarantees if they could show that future work is profitable. 

This is the yards own press release.

Flensburg, 30. April 2019; As part of the process in moving torward with the reorganization of the shipyard with the aim of securing its long-term success, FSG has been in negotiations with customers and suppliers since the beginning of the year.

Tothis end, several measures have been implemented in order to successfully achieve this target.

The RoPax ferry for Brittany Ferries is in the process of intensive outfitting. For optimal progresstobe obtained on this project it was necessary to postpone the start of production of our newbuilding no. 781, the eighth RoRo vessel for SIEM.
This has led to a partial and temporary underemployment in one part of the production. Forthis reason, the Company’s management and Werks Council have agreed to apply to
the Labour Employment Agency for short-time work in this area.

The application has already been submitted.

The effects on the affected area are being kept to a minimum. The majority of the affected employees will be able to bridge this period either by reducing overtime hours previously worked or will be temporarily employed in other areas of production.

I had missed this image until now...

SN093.jpg

Talk about a BIG ARMORIQUE! 

I think even the most devoted BFE member may mistake them two coming over the horizon... especially after a pint or two :)

Quite interesting though, as with many recently... if you compare the length of the upper superstructure to the overall length of the ship (and ships like PA, and W.B.Y for example)... it is about half. Where's the rest of it?! Just goes to show that BF make ships fit for purpose when they design them themselves. No need for a ton of excess interior space like on the Baltic day-cruisers... 

Edited by hf_uk
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

I had missed this image until now...

SN093.jpg

Talk about a BIG ARMORIQUE! 

I think even the most devoted BFE member may mistake them two coming over the horizon... especially after a pint or two :)

Quite interesting though, as with many recently... if you compare the length of the upper superstructure to the overall length of the ship (and ships like PA, and W.B.Y for example)... it is about half. Where's the rest of it?! Just goes to show that BF make ships fit for purpose when they design them themselves. No need for a ton of excess interior space like on the Baltic day-cruisers... 

I tend to prefer ships with what I describe as a "closed stern", like Pont Aven or Bretagne. I'll admit W B Yeats stern is growing on me, but I find the stern of Armorique and Honfleur makes it look incomplete and a little weird. Just my opinion, and probably not relevant. 

• Like 3

Not exactly a 'looker' is she? It does rather look as if Gorgo has taken a bite out of her backside! And that really short bow makes her unsuitable for anything other than Channel routes although, to be fair, that is all she is intended for.

• Like 1

There are no such industry definitions though, they are categories into which journalists and enthusiasts categorise ships. But each ship is built to do a specific job, sometimes that involves large vehicle decks and perfunctory accommodation. But sometimes, like Mont St Michel, it's high quality accommodation. If we must categorise, Shippax's 'ro-cruise' term is better for MSM and, hopefully, Honfleur.

• Like 2