Andy

HONFLEUR - New Build for Ouistreham Route

IÔÇÖve been a bit more politically sensitive than that! ­čśë

Title changed.  In doing so, which involved going back to edit the OP, I saw again the artist impression of the new ship at the time of the (2016!) order.

The contrast between the original conception and the photograph that hf posted is.....shall we say, striking.....

So by the look of it there will be more cars, caravans and motorhomes parked on an open deck exposed to salt spray ...and more complaints on Trip Advisor to follow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

IÔÇÖve been a bit more politically´╗┐´╗┐´╗┐´╗┐´╗┐´╗┐ sensitive than´╗┐ that´╗┐´╗┐!

Smart thinking! And no need to faff around changing things again, no matter how long it takes.

Which do we now think will happen first: Honfleur is delivered or Ouistreham becomes impractical due to climate change and rising sea-levels? ­čśÇ Ed.┬á

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, MichaelBF said:

I tend to prefer ships with what I describe as a "closed stern", like Pont Aven or Bretagne. I'll admit W B Yeats stern is growing on me, but I find the stern of Armorique and Honfleur makes it look incomplete and a little weird. Just my opinion, and probably not relevant. 

I hope the Bretagne new-build follows the design of Hornfleur but has a ''close stern'' like the PA and Bretagne    

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Bf Bretagne said:

I hope the Bretagne new-build follows the design of Hornfleur but has a ''close stern'' like the PA and Bretagne    

I don't think they do that anymore as it means they can't carry 'hazardous loads' which need to be parked in open deck areas. I may be wrong but someone will correct me if so. Ed. 

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Maybe time to amend the title of this thread!

Maybe time for BF to amend their website, and Honfleur micro-site too!

This is from Shippax...

As both Mr. Lars Windhorst, Shareholder and CEO of Tennor Holding B.V. and Mr. Alex Gregg-Smith, CEO of the shipyard announced at the last works meeting on 20.6.19, FSG is in close contact with the customers of the RoPax ferries to be built in order to discuss the next steps for the construction of these existing orders. These discussions have been very promising so far.

The contracts have not been terminated by neither the customer nor by FSG. Furthermore, the construction of next RoRo ship, Hull No. 781 has not stopped - on the contrary, the keel laying ceremony took place on 27.5.19 and is progressing to schedule on the slipway with launching scheduled for 29.10.2019.
The RoPax ferry HONFLEUR is currently in the phase of extensive outfitting and commisisioning alongside the commissioning work of the RoRo LEEVSTEN and the work on construction number 781 for SIEM has been partially rescheduled which has resulted in temporary undercapacity in part of the production. For this reason, some colleagues are currently temporarily working short-time labour.

1 hour ago, Bf Bretagne said:

At least adapted the design to feel more like a cruise ferry. I wonder if BF will considered using Meyer Werft or Fincanteri in the future to build the Bretagne New-build. (Sorry if slightly of topic to this thread).  

17 minutes ago, Bf Bretagne said:

At least adapted the design to feel more like a cruise ferry. I wonder if BF will considered using Meyer Werft or Fincanteri in the future to build the Bretagne New-build. (Sorry if slightly of topic to this thread).  

Reading what BF have put on their micro-site too, the emphases seems to be on the the onboard experience the most. 

To be fair, although I agree with previous posts regarding the full length/enclosed stern... when I am aboard Armorique, I never 'feel' like I am only walking down half the length of the ship...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bf Bretagne said:

The replacement for Bretagne will be similar as it's what the route needs rather than high lane metres for freight. Personally I'm glad Meyer Werft are full to capacity building cruise ships especially after the dogs breakfast they made of the last BF build.

3 hours ago, wortley said:

So by the look of it there will be more cars, caravans and motorhomes parked on an open deck exposed to salt spray ...and more complaints on Trip Advisor to follow.

No one complains about Armorique, quite the contrary in fact, she is very similar in design and spends more time at sea per crossing.

I don't see a problem in her now arriving for spring next year once it was known she'd miss this summer. The work on the berth at Ouistreham hasn't started yet. She's not needed and be honest wasn't a priority in the first place. BF's usual winter shuffling will more than cope with Pont Aven being docked for 3 months... Bretagne stays out to play.

If it were me, once Connemara moves over I'd put Pont Aven on St Malo for a month, dock Bretagne to get her bum scraped etc then send PA for her new engine at the beginning of December bringing her back in time for the new timetable in March.

6 hours ago, wortley said:

Looking at her more closely she doesn't have that much exposed deck on her stern. I've marked where it begins on this image which is courtesy of Shippax.

Honfluer_LI.jpg.3bc8a6cad8f3d1ab677600f24176df71.jpg

• Like 1

Reminds me a bit of the floating prison they had at Portland a while back. Some design derivatives there maybe...

Edited by cvabishop
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Is there still a bit of the superstructure to fit towards the stern? Looks incomplete..

I think the crane structure which will lift the gas tanks into place is not there. But I also believe that this is not a recent photo. The ship is no longer on this pier and has been moved to the other side and that missing section is now in place as you can see on the webcam. 

http://31.209.185.102/

Ed

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Reminds me a bit of the floating prison they had at Portland a while back. Some design derivatives there maybe...

That was the Weare. ┬áSpending time at sea took on a completely new meaning when she was about....­čśä

19 hours ago, jonno said:

The work on´╗┐ the berth at Ouistreham hasn't started y´╗┐et´╗┐.´╗┐´╗┐´╗┐´╗┐´╗┐´╗┐

Jonno What work do you see being needed at Ouistreham?

The plan is to widen the turning circle so Honfleur can use the port.  Currently Honfleur is too long.  I think this will require some re-siting of the eastern breakwater, and dredging to create wider turning area.

They're also lengthening the berth to the outriggers ahead of the older linkspan. The HGV hard standing is also being extended further out into sea, longer rather than fatter.

• Like 2

Armorique goes everywhere, but Honfleur is going to be far less versatile and tied to its gas supply trucked in to Ouistreham..

Honfleur is not being built to be versatile - will be a Ouistreham workhorse, just like MSM and Normandie. ┬áBeyond Le Havre and Cherbourg (which Honfleur will also be able to do), neither of them has served anywhere else on the network. ┬áNo need - Ouistreham is the prime shuttle route, and theyÔÇÖre not suited to anything longer.

4 minutes ago, wortley said:

So when there is a strike at Ouistreham will there be gas supplies at the ports she is diverted to? 

It comes in by truck and is offloaded on board (there is no pipeline involved) so if she has to go to Cherbourg I assume they can still fuel her. Ed.