Andy

HONFLEUR - New Build for Ouistreham Route

The gas is being driven in by truck, so as far as I am aware, it could equally well be driven on board at Le Havre or Cherbourg.

Total who supply the HGV designed ready filled LNG tanks have numerous facilities in the U.K. and are one of the largest shareholders in Europe's biggest LNG terminal in Milford Haven. replacing the tanks at a British port will be no problem. Also the tanks have a round trip capacity.

1 minute ago, Gareth said:

The gas is being driven in by truck, so as far as I am aware, it could equally well be driven on board at Le Havre or Cherbourg.

And when the truck drivers are on strike? ..or the latest wave of demonstrators have blocked the road for the truck to come in? ...there will still be fuel?  It's a daft way of re- fuelling a ship. 

BF have signed deals with Total.SA for France & Repsol for Spain, there is also the little known about back up from Molgas, a Spanish energy provider who are an established supplier of the same delivery system and are also based in France & the U.K.

Worst case scenario? they can float the tanks in on barges and crane them over the side or even have more HGV's on board and switch them at sea. LNG isn't dangerous or volatile, doesn't explode as it's not under pressure and if there is a catastrophic leak it evaporates instantly.

15 minutes ago, wortley said:

And when the truck drivers are on strike? ..or the latest wave of demonstrators have blocked the road for the truck to come in? ...there will still be fuel?  It's a daft way of re- fuelling a ship. 

Operators of bunkering vessels can go on strike.  Mooring crews can go on strike.  Loading crews can go on strike.  Cleaning staff can go on strike.  What’s the difference?  Strikes cause disruption in all sorts of ways.

Just had a laugh. Asked Joseph Hardouin if he received a call begging him to step in and oversea Honfleur's construction. His two were delivered on time....

• Haha 1

On 28/06/2019 at 09:58, Gareth said:

.  In doing so, which involved going back to edit the OP, I saw again the artist impression of the new ship at the time of the (2016!) order.

The contrast between the original conception and the photograph that hf posted is.....shall we say, striking.....

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "honfleur ferry photos"

I have to say that having studied both photos again I think she is remarkably similar to the computer generated images. Once the lifeboats are hoisted into position to fill the gap on the rear starboard side that will complete the visual aesthetics, although I imagine the thick blue strip on her hind quarter won't appear as the current colour scheme seems to be less rather than more blue. I've only just noticed yesterday that Normandie had her previously blue painted bow (either side the vehicle ramp when looking down from the self-service restaurant) changed to all white - the end of an era!

Chris

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "honfleur ferry photos"

2 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Of course the biggest shock to the system was Pont Aven's bow that looked nothing like the original impression....:o

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "pont aven ferry photos"

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "pont aven ferry photos"

Be fair Chris - scrubbers!? At least show the one they use leaving the Roscoff berth (still) in the press, from 2004!

On a separate note - I do love that initial drawing. She looks a bit like a dart.

And I do agree - regarding Honfluer, once finished, probably pretty similar. I don't think any of the 'vision' which may or may not have been lost would be down to BF or the shipyard not following the 'original plan'... just a change from certain angles on paper and the real thing. That doesn't change my view on the ro-pax / cruise ferry arguement though. Bretagne '2' impressions will be interesting INDEED :D 

On 21/12/2016 at 10:25, Andy said:

29839_original.jpg.1aea39d100811af9a85194bd72d314d5.jpg

Crossed wires I think gentlemen.  This was the image I was referring to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Gareth said:

That was a nice balanced design which unfortunately has succumbed to the realities of engineering and budget. Ed. 

Just now, David Williams said:

As long as the Honfleur has loads of spaces to hide the coach parties of schoolchildren I will be happy.

Those empty fuel tanks could come in handy for that. 😉. Ed. 

10 hours ago, wortley said:

They could always carry a few extra tanks on the car deck  , that's the beauty of the system .

57 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Built, she has more public space on the boat deck. The concept image only offers access to the lifeboats.

14 hours ago, hf_uk said:

And I do agree - regarding Honfluer, once finished, probably pretty similar. I don't think any of the 'vision' which may or may not have been lost would be down to BF or the shipyard not following the 'original plan'... just a change from certain angles on paper and the real thing. That doesn't change my view on the ro-pax / cruise ferry arguement though. Bretagne '2' impressions will be interesting INDEED :D 

It should'nt be complicated hf_uk, just take the original exterior plans to satisfy all her thousands of fans, increase the appropriate width and length dimensions so she has the same hull size as Honfleur, increase cabin capacity to a maximum 1600 beds and bingo, you'll have a modern Bretagne 2 (I think they could/should bring back the Prince de Bretagne name) with sufficient cabin space in high season, vehicle decks that are fit for purpose in this age of wider cars, and space for a few more HGV's to keep the bean counters turning.

Flensburg should let BF have the hull plans for nothing rather than claim compensation for current delays as happened with MSM and the Van der Giessen yard, then everyone"s happy ....:D

Chris

5 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Flensburg should let BF have the hull plans for nothing rather than claim compensation for current delays as happened with MSM and the Van der Giessen yard, then everyone"s happy ....:D

I would have thought that BF waived their rights to compensation during the discussions that led to the refinancing.

3 hours ago, David Williams said:

I would have thought that BF waived their rights to compensation during the discussions that led to the refinancing.

Surely BF will get some sort of recompense for the delays. Another point Honfleur is costing more than the Yates did, is that showing in the comments that are being made about the Yates, were corners cut in the quality?

37 minutes ago, Solo said:

Surely BF will get some sort of recompense for the delays. Another point Honfleur is costing more than the Yates did, is that showing in the comments that are being made about the Yates, were corners cut in the quality?

Yes....

Chris

Pont Aven was the last ro-pax ferry built by the shipyard before they decided to give up on this type of vessel and concentrate on cruise ships. 

Mont Saint Michel was the second to last to leave her yard before they went bankrupt and was around 5 months late.

Armorique was delivered (I believe) 6 months late and the yard had serious financial problems a couple of years later. 

Honfleur is just the latest ship perpetuating what seems to be a rather sad tradition of delays, poor project management and financial woes. 

Ed. 

1 hour ago, Solo said:

Normally yes, however in the month when FSG was deciding whether to go bankrupt it said that it was in discussions with suppliers, customers and staff, it was only following that round of discussions that FSG was refinanced to a limited extent.

We will never know what was agreed, however I would have expected the suppliers to agree extra discounts and extended payment terms and for customers to waive some of their contractual rights. FSG would not have been refinanced if the Siem and BF ships would incur losses.

1 hour ago, Solo said:

Normally yes, however in the month when FSG was deciding whether to go bankrupt it said that it was in discussions with suppliers, customers and staff, it was only following that round of discussions that FSG was refinanced to a limited extent.

We will never know what was agreed, however I would have expected the suppliers to agree extra discounts and extended payment terms and for customers to waive some of their contractual rights. FSG would not have been refinanced if the Siem and BF ships would incur losses.

1 hour ago, Fine Whine said:

Yes....

Chris

Just to clarify, "Yes" was in reply to Solo's second point about corner cutting rather his first about recompense..

Chris

40 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Siem never incurred any losses their ships were built for the sole cost of the materials and not to a defined timetable, it's why they bought the yard. Once the parent company has it's final ship I have it on good authority that there's more than an even chance that FSG will no longer form part of it.

BF won't have incurred any expensive losses either. Honfleur is not time sensitive. Their sailings have never been determined by her being in service and her cabin class means that there has been an easy transition back to the more populous Normandie... remember that due to the size of WBY, I.F sold £££ worth of cabins not available on any other ship they have/had. 

Back to BF, Etretat was always being kept due to the return of BDS, the ongoing and extended charter costs of the Visentini are effected more by the delay to Galicia... ask yourself a question: is the arrival of AF Michela due to this rather than anything to do with Connemara or Pont Aven's engine, the latter isn't critical over the winter months anyway due to the surplus of tonnage BF always have during that time.