Andy

HONFLEUR - New Build for Ouistreham Route

39 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

I was looking for pictures of AVIC 267 (yard no) - which is Galacia I beleive... there are quite a few showing early stages of the build but none verifiable as BF. Does anyone have any?

I don't think the Chinese favour ongoing media attention. There was nothing on Estrid until she was ready to get wet. They seem to take 10 months from keel laying to being floated then they remain in the dock for a further month to deal with some snagging etc before being moved to the fitting out quay so using that timetable Galicia will be physically moved in December then be ready for trials 10-12 months later. 

BF's will take a little longer than the Stena's as they're a bit more complex, 340 cabins compared to 175 etc. The one for DFDS will be the quickest.

Having had a bit of a dig, it appears that during BF's discussions with PIP over the new berthing contract the berth extension work to accommodate them needs to be ready by March 2021 at the latest.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jonno said:

I don't think the Chinese favour ongoing media attention. There was nothing on Estrid until she was ready to get wet. They seem to take 10 months from keel laying to being floated then they remain in the dock for a further month to deal with some snagging etc before being moved to the fitting out quay so using that timetable Galicia will be physically moved in December then be ready for trials 10-12 months later. 

BF's will take a little longer than the Stena's as they're a bit more complex, 340 cabins compared to 175 etc. The one for DFDS will be the quickest.

Having had a bit of a dig, it appears that during BF's discussions with PIP over the new berthing contract the berth extension work to accommodate them needs to be ready by March 2021 at the latest.

This was the most interesting pic I could find. Not sure WHICH four though...

The early-stage blocks on the far left - could that be Galacia?!

image.png.6cded40decaf4405cd04613d14d1e9fb.png

10 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

This was the most interesting pic I could find. Not sure WHICH four though...

The early-stage blocks on the far left - could that be Galacia?!

image.png.6cded40decaf4405cd04613d14d1e9fb.png

I'd have thought she'd be the one on the right with the sections lifted into the dock Edda was floated out of in May. Embla floats sooner so I'd assume her blocks were lifted into the one Estrid vacated. Cote D'Opale will probably be started on the left with Salamanca to the right. There's been no news on any other keel's so again, and it's only an assumption, the one for DFDS will have a ceremony once Stena 3 is ready for the water and BF 2 when Galicia is.

7 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I am not clear how the last 10 or so posts are connected to the Honfleur, we do however have a couple of eflexer threads !

They are not. My fault... but I thought that pic was quite good anyway. Jim will do the necessary, if he deems necessary I am sure :)

(actually they might be... IF Galacia ends up being delivered before Honfuer) heh!

Them be BIG cranes though... if you look - potentially could build 8 vessels at the same time!

23 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I am not clear how the last 10 or so posts are connected to the Honfleur, we do however have a couple of eflexer threads !

They'll have Brittany Ferries written on the side and sail from Portsmouth?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Them be BIG cranes though... if you look - potentially could build 8 vessels at the same time!

Yeah but only two can be floated, there's no angley bit to slide the two outer ones into the water... unlike FSG with Honfleur (keeping it on topic, like!)

3 minutes ago, jonno said:

Yeah but only two can be floated, there's no angley bit to slide the two outer ones into the water... unlike FSG with Honfleur (keeping it on topic, like!)

Indeed. There will not be a big SPLOSH like with Honfleur. 

Our days of big BG hulls sploshing in HD live on Social Media are well and truly done for at least the next few years :)