Andy

HONFLEUR - New Build for Ouistreham Route

39 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

I was looking for pictures of AVIC 267 (yard no) - which is Galacia I beleive... there are quite a few showing early stages of the build but none verifiable as BF. Does anyone have any?

I don't think the Chinese favour ongoing media attention. There was nothing on Estrid until she was ready to get wet. They seem to take 10 months from keel laying to being floated then they remain in the dock for a further month to deal with some snagging etc before being moved to the fitting out quay so using that timetable Galicia will be physically moved in December then be ready for trials 10-12 months later. 

BF's will take a little longer than the Stena's as they're a bit more complex, 340 cabins compared to 175 etc. The one for DFDS will be the quickest.

Having had a bit of a dig, it appears that during BF's discussions with PIP over the new berthing contract the berth extension work to accommodate them needs to be ready by March 2021 at the latest.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jonno said:

I don't think the Chinese favour ongoing media attention. There was nothing on Estrid until she was ready to get wet. They seem to take 10 months from keel laying to being floated then they remain in the dock for a further month to deal with some snagging etc before being moved to the fitting out quay so using that timetable Galicia will be physically moved in December then be ready for trials 10-12 months later. 

BF's will take a little longer than the Stena's as they're a bit more complex, 340 cabins compared to 175 etc. The one for DFDS will be the quickest.

Having had a bit of a dig, it appears that during BF's discussions with PIP over the new berthing contract the berth extension work to accommodate them needs to be ready by March 2021 at the latest.

This was the most interesting pic I could find. Not sure WHICH four though...

The early-stage blocks on the far left - could that be Galacia?!

image.png.6cded40decaf4405cd04613d14d1e9fb.png

10 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

This was the most interesting pic I could find. Not sure WHICH four though...

The early-stage blocks on the far left - could that be Galacia?!

image.png.6cded40decaf4405cd04613d14d1e9fb.png

I'd have thought she'd be the one on the right with the sections lifted into the dock Edda was floated out of in May. Embla floats sooner so I'd assume her blocks were lifted into the one Estrid vacated. Cote D'Opale will probably be started on the left with Salamanca to the right. There's been no news on any other keel's so again, and it's only an assumption, the one for DFDS will have a ceremony once Stena 3 is ready for the water and BF 2 when Galicia is.

7 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I am not clear how the last 10 or so posts are connected to the Honfleur, we do however have a couple of eflexer threads !

They are not. My fault... but I thought that pic was quite good anyway. Jim will do the necessary, if he deems necessary I am sure :)

(actually they might be... IF Galacia ends up being delivered before Honfuer) heh!

Them be BIG cranes though... if you look - potentially could build 8 vessels at the same time!

23 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I am not clear how the last 10 or so posts are connected to the Honfleur, we do however have a couple of eflexer threads !

They'll have Brittany Ferries written on the side and sail from Portsmouth?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Them be BIG cranes though... if you look - potentially could build 8 vessels at the same time!

Yeah but only two can be floated, there's no angley bit to slide the two outer ones into the water... unlike FSG with Honfleur (keeping it on topic, like!)

3 minutes ago, jonno said:

Yeah but only two can be floated, there's no angley bit to slide the two outer ones into the water... unlike FSG with Honfleur (keeping it on topic, like!)

Indeed. There will not be a big SPLOSH like with Honfleur. 

Our days of big BG hulls sploshing in HD live on Social Media are well and truly done for at least the next few years :)

7 hours ago, The Ferry Man said:

Agreed - seems to have taken for them to paint the weld areas 

What were they using? An eyeliner brush? Ed  

• Haha 1

Strange, how quiet this thread has gone.  And how little by way of news about Honfleur's progress is being released.  It's now coming up three months since the yard rescue package was put together, enabling work to re-start.  And when work stopped, Honfleur was about 3 months way from her scheduled delivery.... 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Gareth said:

Strange, how quiet this thread has gone.  And how little by way of news about Honfleur's progress is being released.  It's now coming up three months since the yard rescue package was put together, enabling work to re-start.  And when work stopped, Honfleur was about 3 months way from her scheduled delivery.... 

The Honfleur site still says Sea Trials November, Delivery December, Into Service March; However the Siem report says Delivery in Q1 2020.

I imagine that BF believe they will have some confidence on timings at the beginning of October in order to publish a timetable.

Re FSG - it would have taken them some time to renegotiate things with the subcontractors & they have seem to be prioritizing the Leevsten as it will bring in cash in October. The new build has slowed down (presumably for cash flow reasons) and they still have not announced whether the 2 Tasmanian vessels and the Irish Ferry ship will go ahead .

• Thanks 1

781 laid in the build hall in May is due to be launched at the end of October replacing Leevston on the dock. FSG will then lay the keel for IF2.

Honfleur is continuing as per the revised schedule and Leevston has been completely fitted out for some time now and is half way through commissioning.

Does she have fuel tanks?  Or does the fuel stay stored in the containers that are loaded aboard, and used straight from the container?  (I know Ed’s post was characteristically flippant, but it got me wondering!).

1 hour ago, jonno said:

FSG will then lay the keel for IF2.

Is that definite, the last release FSG put out denied that negotiations had broken down, I have not seen anything about them agreeing the contract and more importantly getting state guarantees to get the funding.

45 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Does she have fuel tanks?  Or does the fuel stay stored in the containers that are loaded aboard, and used straight from the container?  (I know Ed’s post was characteristically flippant, but it got me wondering!).

My memory of the situation is that the external tanks are hoisted into position and the fuel is then transferred to a permanent outboard holding tank with a greater capacity. I wonder if she therefore has an external filler to allow for topping up if she ever visits a port with a dockside pipeline facility.  Ed. 

• Thanks 1

The latest news I had last week (and it came from the horse's mouth) was that IF2 will be built but not necessarily at Flensburg.

That doesn't mean it won't be built there but there are a number of options on the table at the moment.

Chris

• Like 1

Looking ahead to its LNG fueling requirements, Brittany Ferries has developed a solution to re-fuel its first LNG vessel, Honfleur.  In partnership with Total, industry-standard, containerized LNG will be trucked on board, then lifted into position by onboard cranes where they will replenish Honfleur’s fixed, onboard LNG storage tank. The process will be reversed when mobile tanks are empty, the company said. (source: LNG World News)

Which backs up what Ed just posted....

Chris 

• Like 1