Andy

HONFLEUR - New Build for Ouistreham Route

15 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

No BFE trip to Shandong then?

No - I always get my chinese takeaways delivered. ;)

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Jim said:

No - I always get my chinese takeaways delivered. ;)

Careful - Jonno will start the Asian comic strip back up. Shhh ;-)

10 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Careful - Jonno will start the Asian comic strip back up. Shhh ūüėČ

Come on hf, keep up... I rehearsed that months ago, even did a Powerpoint presentation with colours and everything. It was standing room only in next door's wendy house. The doctors supervised me through the square window.

4 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Careful - Jonno will start the Asian comic strip back up. Shhh ūüėČ

I thought that was me.  I'm glad someone else is getting the blame.  Ed

• Haha 1

On 16/10/2019 at 10:52, Jim said:

Indeed - we've actually had contact from BF who have effectively said they are expecting/hoping for Honfleur to be delivered earlier but are exercising caution with the timetable.

We are going on sale for 2020 in the UK today. We have introduced a new ticket pricing structure that brings more choice and flexibility to the market.  However, we are also taking a prudent approach to booking journeys on Honfleur. Of course, we very much hope our new LNG ship will arrive in time to serve the 2020 summer season. And we expect that to be the case. But until we are clear on the exact date of entry-into-service, we are taking the precautionary step of listing an on-sale date only from September 2020.

Yesterday they told us they expected her to be in service before the summer. Today on Twitter they don't seem quite so confident. 

Ed

Quite possibly expectation management.  I suspect they’ve given a date based on worst-possible conceivable outcome so that any improvement is a welcome bonus rather than having to announce further delays.

Is there more to this than we're being told?  How long does it take to fit out a ferry, see how quick the first E-Flexer has been fitted out.  Surely the yard want Honfleur sailing and showing off what a good job they can do after the Yeats, plus of course getting the final payment or have they lost that payment in penalties for the late delivery? 

7 hours ago, Gareth said:

Quite possibly expectation management.  I suspect they’ve given a date based on worst-possible conceivable outcome so that any improvement is a welcome bonus rather than having to announce further delays.

Quite! That now fits with what I'd expect to happen and what I suggested on the previous page of this thread. What surprised me was more that they told us, and gave Jim permission to publish, something that actually contradicts that and increases our expectations in the full knowledge that anybody (forum members, guests etc) could read the information. This, in my opinion, just muddies the waters further. They should have one line and stick to it. 

As to Solo's question. They don't need her right now and would have to put another ship to bed if she turned up. Plus we know that W B Yeats has just had her first inspection. Given their design similarities, and the problems experienced with the IF ship, I wouldn't be surprised if both BF and FSG are waiting to see the report before sending her out for sea trials and handing her over. They've got time to fix things now which they won't have once she's in service. Ed. 

10 hours ago, Solo said:

Is there more to this than we're being told?  How long does it take to fit out a ferry, see how quick the first E-Flexer has been fitted out.  Surely the yard want Honfleur sailing and showing off what a good job they can do after the Yeats, plus of course getting the final payment or have they lost that payment in penalties for the late delivery? 

The blocks built in Poland arrive pre fitted with everything, they are essentially plug n play including the bridge and all of the electronics & navigation equipment... if they line up of course. An E-Flexer takes 2 years and spends nearly 12 months sat alongside the fit out quay, in an ideal world Honfleur would have taken a lot less time than that. Consider the original timetable, steel cutting to launch was 9 months, launch to being in service would have been a further 6 months.

I think Gareth and Ed make a valuable point. Expectation. 15 months is an incredible time frame to build a heavily laden RoPax using a revolutionary refuelling system and a fairly young hybrid propulsion concept, you're under pressure right from the start without any realistic margin for error. FSG showing a degree of naivety perhaps especially as the choice of European shipyard to give the contract to was very limited, in reality basically zero?

An initially announced two year timetable such as the E-Flexer has - March 2020 in this case - would have meant that both BF and FSG wouldn't have had the scrutiny they've faced so far.

Interestingly though, the guy I trade emails with still maintains that her sea trials will commence next month and also worth remembering that Leevsten was officially delivered on August 30th and she's still tied to the pier alongside Honfleur?

I wonder now whether BF are considering her more in terms of their overall financial planning rather than anything operational. As Ed has mentioned BF don't need her and to be honest you could argue that they never did in the first place, more so now that Galicia arrives during the same rumoured time frame. BF could simply have kept their powder dry and installed the replaced Cap Finistere on the Le Havré route leaving Normandie to carry on regardless.

Regarding the lack a clarity on the delivery date BF are essentially doing FSG a favour.  As we know FSG are in a pretty dubious financial state and if BF announce that Honfleur will be delivered in December and FSG fail to meet that date it looks really bad for FSG and could have financial repercussions for them beyond penalties paid to BF.  By being vague with dates like Summer 2020 FSG will look good if they deliver in say January one month late on what they may have privately promised but publicly it's all still good.

Edited by Timmy

Just took a look at the sailings and Honfleur listed as starting on the run to Caen from 10th September. so I assume delivery not until around Easter then.

On 21/10/2019 at 11:28, Stefeni said:

Just took a look at the sailings and Honfleur listed as starting on the run to Caen from 10th September. so I assume delivery not until around Easter then.

There was a statement from BF elsewhere in the 2020 timetable thread - they're planning on 'worst case', but hoping Honfleur arrives ahead of the summer season

4 hours ago, Jim said:

There was a statement from BF elsewhere in the 2020 timetable thread - they're planning on 'worst case', but hoping Honfleur arrives ahead of the summer season

(2020 summer season)

ūüėČ

The last RoRo in the build hall is ready for launch tomorrow or Wednesday, the shutter has been raised and the dam will be lowered flooding the stern overnight. The 2nd I.F. build is to begin on Friday.

10 hours ago, jonno said:

The last RoRo in the build hall is ready for launch tomorrow or Wednesday, the shutter has been raised and the dam will be lowered flooding the stern overnight. The 2nd I.F. build is to begin on Friday.

I would expect the interior of Honfleur to be utterly stunning now! Overpriced, super late. Can't help thinking they'd have been better off with a WB Yeats, if it wasn't for the bunkering requirement. Far cheaper, greater capacity, far more luxurious cabin choice!

12 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

if it wasn't for the bunkering requirement. Far cheaper, greater capacity, far more luxurious cabin choice!

I believe that the bunkering requirement gave BF access to some grants !

I use the Ouistreham route a lot and have never been tempted in paying for anything more than a sea view - I am not sure that luxury matters on a crossing of less than 6 hours (longer at night !). I did pay extra (a lot extra) for a Spanish crossing as it is worth it for a longer crossing. All I want from a cabin in a short crossing is a bed, an ensuite and somewhere to plug the kettle in. 

I would also hope that the Honfleur (like the MSM) has a bed that converts to a sofa when using it as a day cabin.

Edited by David Williams

17 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I believe that the bunkering requirement gave BF access to some grants !

I use the Ouistreham route a lot and have never been tempted in paying for anything more than a sea view - I am not sure that luxury matters on a crossing of less than 6 hours (longer at night !). I did pay extra (a lot extra) for a Spanish crossing as it is worth it for a longer crossing. All I want from a cabin in a short crossing is a bed, an ensuite and somewhere to plug the kettle in. 

I would also hope that the Honfleur (like the MSM) has a bed that converts to a sofa when using it as a day cabin.

I understand your comments completely! Yes, that nicely describes a ship which may cost far closer to 120m, not 200m Euros! :)

• Like 1