Jump to content
Andy

HONFLEUR - New Build for Ouistreham Route

Recommended Posts

Do they actually want to hand these passenger boats over to their customers?

you would think the penalty clauses in the contracts would make the yard work harder to make the penalty’s smaller.

 

the honfleur should have been in service in June/July, should be on trials this month, now expected in service during the summer.

 

this is the boat that bankrupted the ship yard!!!   It will be a year late!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/11/2019 at 21:31, TonyMWeaver said:

This was posted on YouTube today. Spotted on MyFerryShip - Facebook

 

Interesting from the video, it is even more evident of how ro-paxy she is. The accommodation block is only 50% of the hull. That's why I like Pont Aven still so much. She is 184m long, and you can walk up and down about 180m of it! :)

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I can't find the timeline on the Honfleur site, it seems to have been removed !

It is also telling that the posted pictures did not include any of the passenger spaces.

Most likely because the timeline has become a great work of fiction :)

I am still taking bets on Galacia entering service before her. Anyone?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I am sure that is against the rules of the forum !

OK Sorry - betting ends. 
Who remembers Banzai! :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, PeteK said:

 

The picture of the access ramp to the lower garage door (MacGreggor) is identical to the Armorique, as is the bow and bow door. She is just a big Armorique. Hopefully her interior charm will let her personality will shine through!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/11/2019 at 10:06, hf_uk said:

Interesting from the video, it is even more evident of how ro-paxy she is. The accommodation block is only 50% of the hull. That's why I like Pont Aven still so much. She is 184m long, and you can walk up and down about 180m of it! :)

I totally agree, it's why I don't like the Armorique as much as PA, Bretagne or either of the Caen vessels.

 

I hope they don't go full open-plan in her, as it's what I don't like at all about the Armorique. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m on Normandie as promised, a busy sailing for a Sunday night with a very healthy load of freight.

But the exciting news is I bumped into one of the officers I know well and it’s now open knowledge on board that Honfleur will be appearing before the summer season kicks off, most likely in April which is fantastic news - he should know because he’ll be working on her so watch this space....

Chris

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know what Iam missing,I thought when the new build was announced it was going to be for the Spanish run.now it seems to be just for the channel crossings.can anyone enlighten me.many thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nodwad,

Honfleur is being purpose built for the Caen-Portsmouth route, originally planned to enter service last year but delayed due to the mischievous Leprechauns that delayed the WB Yeats in the same German shipyard. The Spanish ships will be progressively replaced by the E Flexers being built in China (with the exception of PA). The pressure is on you to post the first voyage report!

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Nodwad,

Honfleur is being purpose built for the Caen-Portsmouth route, originally planned to enter service last year but delayed due to the mischievous Leprechauns that delayed the WB Yeats in the same German shipyard. The Spanish ships will be progressively replaced by the E Flexers being built in China (with the exception of PA). The pressure is on you to post the first voyage report!

Chris

Does that mean the Cap will be sold and move on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, nodwad said:

Don't know what Iam missing,I thought when the new build was announced it was going to be for the Spanish run.now it seems to be just for the channel crossings.can anyone enlighten me.many thanks

The names BF give to their ships is generally a clue as to the region or destination they serve. Hence NEX gets you to Normandy quickly, Cap Finistere takes you to Northern Spain, Bretagne links Portsmouth with Brittany and Honfleur will run to the Calvados department. The obvious exception to the rule is Pont Aven which covers routes linking all 4 countries in the network. However, she does try to get as close to home as possible at least once a year by making impromptu calls at Brest, to the obvious surprise and delight of her passengers. Ed. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JohnMustow said:

Does that mean the Cap will be sold and move on?

No not necessarily John. In fact my understanding is that Galicia will replace Cap Finistère, and maybe as soon as late autumn next year given the fact she’s already been floated out and appears to be ahead of schedule. Cap will then most likely take over from Kerry ( all fits in nicely with her 1 year charter) to operate the Cork/Santander/Roscoff rotations, which is great news for Roscoff. It will then give Irish customers 2 cruise ferry options per week and in my view allow BF to really grow this route now Irish Ferries are no longer in the game.

Chris

Edited by Fine Whine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fine Whine said:

No not necessarily John. In fact my understanding is that Galicia will replace Cap Finistère, and maybe as soon as late autumn next year given the fact she’s already been floated out and appears to be ahead of schedule. Cap will then most likely take over from Kerry ( all fits in nicely with her 1 year charter) to operate the Cork/Santander/Roscoff rotations, which is great news for Roscoff. It will then give Irish customers 2 cruise ferry option per week and in my view allow BF to really grow this route now Irish Ferries are no longer in the game.

Chris

Haven't we established that CF is too long for Cork, Chris? I think Jonno has instead suggested that she operate from Rosslare to get around that problem. Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Haven't we established that CF is too long for Cork, Chris? I think Jonno has instead suggested that she operate from Rosslare to get around that problem. Ed. 

Well she was too long for Portsmouth at one stage, it doesn’t need a nuclear physicist to extend the pontoon by 20 metres to allow her to berth safely. And don’t forget it was Jonno who claimed W.B.Yeats was too long for Pembroke.....🤣🤣 (sorry Iain)

Chris

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having said that, my man last night did mention Cap doing a « new route » so maybe that does mean Rosslare, or even Waterford if they get their act together. All I know is it’s not planned for her to leave the fleet.

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the update Chris..I`m looking at one crossing in June to Ouistreham that was going to be on the Normandie, so might indeed book it if its going to be on the Honfleur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fine Whine said:

Having said that, my man last night did mention Cap doing a « new route » so maybe that does mean Rosslare, or even Waterford if they get their act together. All I know is it’s not planned for her to leave the fleet.

Chris

I don't see a service to Waterford ever happening with Rosslare just an hour drive from it , plus it has no infrastructure to handle a ferry service .It's about one and a half to two hours travel time upriver to Waterford docks from Dunmore East . It is a very scenic journey though , a bit like transiting the Kiel Canal . I've  had numerous transits to Waterford in the past .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe a new route for the Cap but replacing an existing vessel..Would she fit in St Malo for instance, although we know she can do Portsmouth Le Havre.Interesting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Paully said:

Maybe a new route for the Cap but replacing an existing vessel..Would she fit in St Malo for instance, although we know she can do Portsmouth Le Havre.Interesting

Can you imagine the state of the Bretagne brigade if Cap replaced her it’s bad enough listening to them moan about a properly equipped cruise ferry like Pont Aven when she’s on the route , I think Cap and St Malo should go in the things that will never happen box along with Pegasis and Val returning .

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...