Andy

HONFLEUR - New Build for Ouistreham Route

6 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

No not necessarily John. In fact my understanding is that Galicia will replace Cap Finistère, and maybe as soon as late autumn next year given the fact she’s already been floated out and appears to be ahead of schedule. Cap will then most likely take over from Kerry ( all fits in nicely with her 1 year charter) to operate the Cork/Santander/Roscoff rotations, which is great news for Roscoff. It will then give Irish customers 2 cruise ferry options per week and in my view allow BF to really grow this route now Irish Ferries are no longer in the game.

Chris

That would be good we do the Santander/Cork route once every three years it should be July 2021 we would miss Kerry but we both like Cap and a proper restaurant as well. Bonus!

5 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Well she was too long for Portsmouth at one stage, it doesn’t need a nuclear physicist to extend the pontoon by 20 metres to allow her to berth safely. And don’t forget it was Jonno who claimed W.B.Yeats was too long for Pembroke.....🤣🤣 (sorry Iain)

Chris

Hey not me Chris, Milford Haven Port Authority. For me if a ship of that size can fit the dolphins I'd be shouting it from the rooftops especially with my nearest and dearest rival not too far up the road using a 40 year old ship.

Those I know in Pembroke, Milford, Tenby & Haverfordwest enjoy a glass of wine or five, I'm sure they'd relish a trip to Cherbourg on WBY if she decides to stop there again but you'll need door men!

But... no mate Ringaskiddy have zero plans to do anything for the ferries, Pont & a Visentini is as big as it'll go even with an overhang. They're more interested in ConRo & RoRo.

36 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

I thought we had discussed before that CAP was too big for Cork?!

Now you'll all know why for many years the missus has called me MV Stena Husbandia...! 

I'm happy to print this and have it laminated up to A5 although there's a handy pocket size available too!

I've fired up the crystal ball so here goes, @hf_uk comic strip has nothing on me fella! How's this for an anorak inducing coma... Therapists on speed dial, good, then we'll begin.

SOMABRET Pont Aven continues as is but her U.K. base returns to Plymouth.

BAI Connemara replaces BAI Baie de Seine.

BAI Galicia replaces BAI Cap Finistere.

BAI Cap Finistere relocates BAI Ireland-Spain route to Rosslare.

BAI Kerry returned to Stena AB.

BAI Salamanca replaces BAI Pelican/Bore Bay increases capacity and relocates to Portsmouth.

BAI Santona replaces BAI Cap Finistere at Rosslare.

BAI Cap Finistere replaces BAI Connemara.

BAI Connemara returned to Stena AB.

Fact 1: A BAI controlled vessel will never permanently replace a ship on a SOMBRET or SOMANOR route and vice versa.

SOMANOR Honfleur replaces SOMANOR Normandie.

SOMANOR Normandie replaces SOMANOR Etretat.

SOMANOR Etretat returned to Stena AB.

SOMANOR Cotentin returns from Stena AB.

SOMANOR Cotentin replaces SOMANOR Barfleur.

Fact 2: Two routes are contractually obligated to be fulfilled unless it's financially detrimental. Roscoff-Plymouth & Cherbourg-Poole.

Glazed over yet...?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, jonno said:

Now you'll all know why for many years the missus has called me MV Stena Husbandia...! 

I'm happy to print this and have it laminated up to A5 although there's a handy pocket size available too!

I've fired up the crystal ball so here goes, @hf_uk comic strip has nothing on me fella! How's this for an anorak inducing coma... Therapists on speed dial, good, then we'll begin.

SOMABRET Pont Aven continues as is but her U.K. base returns to Plymouth.

BAI Connemara replaces BAI Baie de Seine.

BAI Galicia replaces BAI Cap Finistere.

BAI Cap Finistere relocates BAI Ireland-Spain route to Rosslare.

BAI Kerry returned to Stena AB.

BAI Salamanca replaces BAI Pelican/Bore Bay increases capacity and relocates to Portsmouth.

BAI Santona replaces BAI Cap Finistere at Rosslare.

BAI Cap Finistere replaces BAI Connemara.

BAI Connemara returned to Stena AB.

Fact 1: A BAI controlled vessel will never permanently replace a ship on a SOMBRET or SOMANOR route and vice versa.

SOMANOR Honfleur replaces SOMANOR Normandie.

SOMANOR Normandie replaces SOMANOR Etretat.

SOMANOR Etretat returned to Stena AB.

SOMANOR Cotentin returns from Stena AB.

SOMANOR Cotentin replaces SOMANOR Barfleur.

Fact 2: Two routes are contractually obligated to be fulfilled unless it's financially detrimental. Roscoff-Plymouth & Cherbourg-Poole.

Glazed over yet...

Not at all dear chap;-)
#licks the end of the pencil

Zzzzzzzzzzz

Actually that all makes sense Jonno but shock horror, no mention of Bretagne. I had heard that a Bretagne 2 new build was on the cards some time ago but my man last night confirmed whatever BF had planned has been put on hold as customers love her and she’s had an almost perfect season.

The récent Condor agreement has been exercising my grey cells recently as it doesn’t seem to make a huge deal of sense, I’ve mentioned as much to Gareth in a recent PM. Cotentin coming back is a good move but I wouldn’t write Barfleur off just yet, I have a feeling there could be a cunning plan being hatched but let’s see how that develops.

Chris

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Zzzzzzzzzzz

Actually that all makes sense Jonno but shock horror, no mention of Bretagne. I had heard that a Bretagne 2 new build was on the cards some time ago but my man last night confirmed whatever BF had planned has been put on hold as customers love her and she’s had an almost perfect season.

The récent Condor agreement has been exercising my grey cells recently as it doesn’t seem to make a huge deal of sense, I’ve mentioned as much to Gareth in a recent PM. Cotentin coming back is a good move but I wouldn’t write Barfleur off just yet, I have a feeling there could be a cunning plan being hatched but let’s see how that develops.

Chris

Could that be Barfy running from Portsmouth to Cherbourg and NEX nipping to the C.I's?

Edited by jonno

JUst had a look on the Honfleur blurb on BF`s website..Not very clear, but does give the impression, that all 261 cabins in addition to usb chargers and TV sets are so called `pet friendly`..They cant be serious........can they???

On the plus side neither the Barfleur nor the Bretagne have been so far degraded and non are allowed on the Nex 😁

Edited by Paully

Just a thought. Perhaps the term pet-friendly actually just means that any passenger travelling with an assistance dog (blind, hearing impaired etc) can book an ordinary cabin and thereby not block a mobility-impaired passenger from travelling. Ed. 

22 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Just a thought. Perhaps the term pet-friendly actually just means that any passenger travelling with an assistance dog (blind, hearing impaired etc) can book an ordinary cabin and thereby not block a mobility-impaired passenger from travelling. Ed. 

Assistance dogs should be allowed in normal cabins by law it should come under the disability discrimination act.

11 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Assistance dogs should be allowed in normal cabins by law it should come under the disability discrimination act.

That's correct. Registered assistance dogs have access to all public areas.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, scarlton said:

That's correct. Registered assistance dogs have access to all public areas.

Indeed and quite rightly so, they do a fantastic job, especially for keeping Blind people safe.

15 hours ago, Paully said:

JUst had a look on the Honfleur blurb on BF`s website..Not very clear, but does give the impression, that all 261 cabins in addition to usb chargers and TV sets are so called `pet friendly`..They cant be serious........can they???

On the plus side neither the Barfleur nor the Bretagne have been so far degraded and non are allowed on the Nex 😁

What bit can't be serious Paully?!

29 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

What bit can't be serious Paully?!

Thought it was obvious, but..imagine if every cabin had had a Fido on the crossing before yours. Passing wind and dropping hairs all the way Trans Manche. The cabin cleaning is subject to much comment on here sans Mutley with them Twitter would explode. However the matter has now been resolved. Job done eh

Edited by Paully
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Paully said:

Thought it was obvious, but..imagine if every cabin had had a Fido on the crossing before yours. Passing wind and dropping hairs all the way Trans Manche. The cabin cleaning is subject to much comment on here sans Mutley with them Twitter would explode. However the matter has now been resolved. Job done eh

Ahah!. Seen now. Yes - that makes sense:)

• Like 1

That's been the line recently though - the timetable is based on a worst case scenario although they hope to have her earlier. The timetable won't be changed until they know for sure.

4 hours ago, Ryan_H said:

It's a shame they didn't put Mr Lander-Brinkley straight on his comments the about Normandie ;) 

I'd be rather inclined to agree with him. One does tend to try and avoid the Normandie - certainly in the busy season.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Jim said:

I'd be rather inclined to agree with him. One does tend to try and avoid the Normandie - certainly in the busy season.

Would love to hear his opinion on the other similarly aged BF ferries.

5 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Would love to hear his opinion on the other similarly aged BF ferries.

In fairness, neither of those which spring to mind are as hard worked or on a route shared with a newer ship

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jim said:

In fairness, neither of those which spring to mind are as hard worked or on a route shared with a newer ship

I find the passenger facilities on the Normandie of a high standard, the main issue is the garage when busy

7 hours ago, Jim said:

I agree with the first point but not totally with the second. Assuming Bretagne is one of those you have in mind, it could be argued that she effectively shares the route with PA, albeit never at the same time and very possibly not often carrying the same type of passengers. I'll be keen to see what the recent refit has done to her interior spaces and cabins. I know there is little scope for major change but it would be nice if they were able to inject some freshness, particularly as Bretagne has to stand in for PA this winter and provide the closest possible experience to her sister for those who are regular winter travelers. Ed

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I agree with the first point but not totally with the second. Assuming Bretagne is one of those you have in mind, it could be argued that she effectively shares the route with PA, albeit never at the same time and very possibly not often carrying the same type of passengers. I'll be keen to see what the recent refit has done to her interior spaces and cabins. I know there is little scope for major change but it would be nice if they were able to inject some freshness, particularly as Bretagne has to stand in for PA this winter and provide the closest possible experience to her sister for those who are regular winter travelers. Ed

I doubt BF have done anything outstanding to any of the ships internally. Unlike the Baltic where the competition means more frequent refurbishment & improvement.

Take Tallink as an example, since Silja Europa returned in 2016 they've spent nearly €25m on her.

I think they gave Bretagne a "mid life" once over back in 2009 spending an earth shattering £5m - on what, I have no idea. I suppose you could say that the introduction of Club Lounge is the most radical move BF have made in the last quarter of a century. Even Oscar Wilde's premium cabins were more modern than any in the BF fleet. Take a look at the commodore's aboard PA & MSM, they're no different to those aboard 80's built Bretagne or '90's built Normandie.