Andy

HONFLEUR - New Build for Ouistreham Route

Just now, Tumnus2010 said:

Did the Duc have a restaurant? As she served both routes.

Too young to remember..and definitely wouldn't have been allowed in it!

Yes she definitely did.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Did the Duc have a restaurant? As she served both routes.

Too young to remember..and definitely wouldn't have been allowed in it!

She did but Pont l'Abbe was the odd one in that she didn't have a conventional self service. Her cafe served chips and sandwiches and things whereas her brasserie was the main place for hot food and I think was more reasonably priced than the usual full restaurants. 

Obviously that arrangement was largely for practical reasons as BF didn't want to spend money on significantly modifying a ship they weren't keeping for long but it's interesting they didn't just make the brasserie into a self service which wouldn't have been that hard or expensive and is what Moby did when they bought her.

• Like 2

Don't forget the Barfleur - that was a good example actually.  Restaurant replaced by Games Zone replace by Club Lounge if I am not mistaken?

• Haha 1

On 09/01/2020 at 12:54, hf_uk said:

Don't forget the Barfleur.  Restaurant replaced by Games Zone replace by Club Lounge. . .

. . . and the restaurant still missed by some!

Edited by rogerpatenall
  • Like 2

Gantry crane has moved in FSG's build hall... exciting stuff!!😀

Be quick before they move it back again!

• Haha 3

When Honfleur comes, presumably she will be the flagship for a short while, as MSM was - but my question is, when the first flexer arrives, will that takeover?

What makes it the flagship? Is it a case of tonnage? They are very close....

10 hours ago, jonno said:

Gantry crane has moved in FSG's build hall... exciting stuff!!😀

Be quick before they move it back again!

Did they put it there by mistake or just needed somewhere to park it due to general idleness??

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hf_uk said:

When Honfleur comes, presumably she will be the flagship for a short while, as MSM was - but my question is, when the first flexer arrives, will that takeover?

What makes it the flagship? Is it a case of tonnage? They are very close....

My hunch is no, an E Flexer won't be a flagship as they'll be chartered initially. Honfleur will hold the mantel until Pont Aven's replacement arrives - which, again gut feeling only, will be the next build announcement.

Historically a flagship is any vessel commanded by the most senior officer, in BF's case I'd suggest it's a title given to the newest therefore most tech advanced vessel they own.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jonno said:

the newest therefore most tech advanced vessel they own.

They own about 25% of Condor Liberation. Does that count? 😉 Ed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Paully said:

Did they put it there by mistake or just needed somewhere to park it due to general idleness??

You mean in case the gears seize up or rust?

• Haha 1

Surely it's down to the size and route in BF's case? Armorique is newer than Pont Aven. PO Hull/Rotterdam remain flagships despite Spirits being newer. 

@jonnowill majority of Notmandie crew transfer to Honfleur do you know? 

I thought Pont Aven was still the nominal flagship? Not sure who is the senior Commandant referred to as Commodore sometimes.

1 hour ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Surely it's down to the size and route in BF's case? Armorique is newer than Pont Aven. PO Hull/Rotterdam remain flagships despite Spirits being newer. 

@jonnowill majority of Notmandie crew transfer to Honfleur do you know? 

Possibly not, SOMANOR will need to use the staff aboard Etretat when they send her back to Stena.

1 hour ago, colin said:

I thought Pont Aven was still the nominal flagship? Not sure who is the senior Commandant referred to as Commodore sometimes.

I assume she is too, there was no mention of the term when Armorique appeared. It's associated with Honfleur as it's being used on the dedicated website.

Edited by jonno

54 minutes ago, jonno said:

I assume she is too, there was no mention of the term when Armorique appeared. It's associated with Honfleur as it's being used on the dedicated website.

Flagship can be used as simply meaning newest, shiniest toy.

Any whispers anyone heard as to when the Honfleur is likely to be handed over to BF?  or indeed how far her fitting out has progressed...All seems quiet out of BF Towers and Flensburg

20 hours ago, Paully said:

Any whispers anyone heard as to when the Honfleur is likely to be handed over to BF?  or indeed how far her fitting out has progressed...All seems quiet out of BF Towers and Flensburg

This Tweet and rely from BF doesn't unfortunately provide any clear indication of their plans. However there might be some clues if you read between the lines. 

https://twitter.com/BrittanyFerries/status/1217472498855444481?s=20

Ed

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Gareth said:

The use of the word “likely”, in relation to plans for Normandie, is interesting.

Yes, I noticed that, I wonder if the plans are changing with respect to Le Havre. Mind you they are not managing to dock there much at the moment. 

Thanks for that Ed, still a guessing game and I read into it, that BF are confident she will arrive this year, just not sure of exactly when..Which cannot help their planning. Speaking of which they are switching the Normandie but to where?..If Le Havre was its next stop they would have said so, but `onto another route`...I wonder if they consider she is too big for that route, at this time and a Visintini suits better. My money would still be on Le Havre though.

Groundless wild speculation alert.

If deck 7 was converted to cabins leaving deck 6 as a low height car deck, like Armorique, then she would be suitable for Portsmouth - St.Malo.

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

The use of the word “likely”, in relation to plans for Normandie, is interesting.

I reckon they want to flog her but if they don’t get a decent offer they will keep her and use her on Le Havre , “likely” is just a cover all so no one can say but you said that .

1 hour ago, Paully said:

Speaking of which they are switching the Normandie but to where?..If Le Havre was its next stop they would have said so, but `onto another route`...I wonder if they consider she is too big for that route, at this time and a Visintini suits better. My money would still be on Le Havre though.

Normandie remains in the Le Havre timetable for September & they did berthing trials last year on it. Therefore assuming that Le Havre remains open I imagine that they are still planning on moving her there.

Maybe a move to the Med is on the cards.

That’s a curious one as, to my knowledge (but hhv will correct me if I’m wrong), twin level loading is almost non-existent in the Med.

Then again, there is precedent for ferries built as twin-level loaders (and in practice not viable to operate otherwise) moving to the Med.  Off-hand, I can think of ships like the Sealink Saints and PoFE/Oleander that have operated successfully in the Med.  With those examples, what did they do with their upper vehicle decks?  Install accommodation?  I guess if they were able to do it then there is no reason why Normandie couldn’t carve out a life in the Med.

On the other hand.....in those days, Mediterranean ferries being second-hand discards from Northern Europe was the norm.  Now they bulld their own to order.  So it may not be that easy.

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

This Tweet and rely from BF doesn't unfortunately provide any clear indication of their plans. However there might be some clues if you read between the lines. 

https://twitter.com/BrittanyFerries/status/1217472498855444481?s=20

Ed

That is a fantastically useless post! More interesting would be the opposite of most likely - being 'Normandie is the ship you'll be travelling on instead of Honfleur when she is another year late' :D (never the skeptic!)

• Haha 2