Andy

HONFLEUR - New Build for Ouistreham Route

Interesting..Although I note it has many special valves and systems, no variable pitch though and as the Chief says its unlike any other ship in the fleet. Hmm Victoria of Wight comes to mind. Very complicated engineeering indeed. I wonder how far towards completion the engine room actually is.

Edited by Paully

2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Presumably none of these systems has been fired up and tested yet (?).

I think that is linked to the "almost all" part of the equation. Ed. 

If you notice in the vlog a lot of the electrical systems are already powered up. I wonder if any fuel cells were fitted when she was stern on?

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, jonno said:

If you notice in the vlog a lot of the electrical systems are already powered up. I wonder if any fuel cells were fitted when she was stern on?

Plugged in to the shore maybe Jonno??

2 hours ago, Paully said:

Interesting..Although I note it has many special valves and systems, no variable pitch though and as the Chief says its unlike any other ship in the fleet. Hmm Victoria of Wight comes to mind. Very complicated engineeering indeed. I wonder how far towards completion the engine room actually is.

The electrical propulsion is new to the BF fleet, but as you say its certainly not new to the industry. Many cruise ships have had a diesel-electric propulsion system for since the late 90's.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andy said:

The electrical propulsion is new to the BF fleet, but as you say its certainly not new to the industry. Many cruise ships have had a diesel-electric propulsion system for since the late 90's.

Do you think the 'ride quality' will be equivalent to azipods Andy? ie. no over the top bottom-shaking vibrations at the stern like PA?

41 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Plugged in to the shore maybe Jonno??

Or wheeled aboard portable diesel genny's prior to the big switch on, point is that some of these systems have already been tested and are functioning.

The future for FSG maybe cloudy but the Honfleur build is continuing as rapidly as a reduced & time constrained workforce can manage... they work days only and there's no overtime.

I'd love to see this engineer's CV:

Job Description - Chief Engineer 

Experience - 10 years 

Time spent at sea - errm, does half an hour on a pedalo at Hamburg's boating lake count?

Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/02/2020 at 12:08, David Williams said:

I note that Liekut now has the AIS switched on - no sign of Honfleur yet !

She has also been turned around on the pier so they no longer need access over her stern ramp. Presumably she's almost ready for her sea-trials. Maybe the workers will now move over to finish Honfleur. Ed. 

7 hours ago, philduncan said:

I'm beginning to view the introduction of the Honfleur in October as being as likely as the opening of Berlin Airport!

That's about 9 years behind schedule. Are they all competing for some sort of record? It makes Crossrail look like an efficient project. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

That's about 9 years behind schedule. Are they all competing for some sort of record? It makes Crossrail look like an efficient project. Ed. 

Meanwhile, HS2 be like "hold my pint"

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

The Cal MAC ferry debacle is pretty comparable , ironically Loch Seaforth is doing ok now after some issues and it was built at FSG. 
As for delays what about Boris’s Garden bridge or Northern Ireland to Scotland bridge ? Not delays i suppose 😉

https://actu.fr/normandie/caen_14118/liaison-ouistreham-portsmouth-honfleur-la-brittany-ferries-pret-lautomne-2020_31436802.html

Google Translation

Ouistreham-Portsmouth link: Brittany Ferries' Honfleur ready for fall 2020
 Brittany Ferries' new boat, the Honfleur, which is to connect Ouistreham to Portsmouth, should be ready in the fall of 2020 after a year of delay.

Posted on Feb 12, 20 at 6:31 p.m.

Brittany Ferries' new ferry, the Honfleur, is scheduled to begin its first crossings in the fall of 2020. Originally expected in the summer of 2019, it will be more than a year behind schedule.

We don't want to give an exact date, explains Jean-Marc Roué, chairman of the Brittany Ferries supervisory board.  But he will be in our fleet by the fall of 2020.

A constantly shifted delivery

Initially, delivery was scheduled for winter 2019, then in June 2019, an inaugural crossing was then scheduled for July 9, 2019. This was without counting on further delays, forcing Brittany Ferries to postpone its entry into service.  October 2019, then at the beginning of 2020 and finally in the spring.
 At the start of 2019, the FSG shipyard in Germany, which assembles the Honfleur, faced serious financial concerns.  Brittany Ferries clarified last June:
 The German shipyard, which builds the Honfleur, had to face the payment of significant financial penalties imposed by the delay in delivery (5 months) of the new Irish Ferries ship, WB Yeats.  This shifted the workload of the site on the construction of the future ship.
 It will replace Normandy

This new ferry is to operate the Ouistreham-Portsmouth links, instead of the Le Normandie ferry, which will be assigned to the Le Havre - Portsmouth line.  The "Honfleur" will be one of the most environmentally friendly, especially since it will be powered by LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas) which generates less carbon dioxide than diesel or heavy fuel oil.
 The Honfleur will be able to transport 1,680 passengers in 257 cabins and will include two cinemas, restaurants and shops.

2 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Which will come first, the fall of 2020 or the fall of FSG?

Ed. 

Wee commando raid to “acquire “ the ship if it all goes belly up?

I've been wondering, when it comes to tonnage and the interior spaces of BF ships... So Honfleur will be 42,000 GRT approx, just over Pont Aven. 
PA has over double the number of cabins, plus large open spaces such as the double level bar area, and the atrium. 
So considering this, will Honfleur feel HUGE inside? Or does that tonnage include a much bigger garage on Honfleur for example?

The bigger garage will account for some of it, two full height vehicle decks, but it should still leave a lot more public space.

Edited by Solo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

I've been wondering, when it comes to tonnage and the interior spaces of BF ships... So Honfleur will be 42,000 GRT approx, just over Pont Aven. 
PA has over double the number of cabins, plus large open spaces such as the double level bar area, and the atrium. 
So considering this, will Honfleur feel HUGE inside? Or does that tonnage include a much bigger garage on Honfleur for example?

Each vessels deadweight, the load it can carry is a good indicator. Pont Aven 4803 tons, Honfleur 6000 tons. 

Because the weather is naff and basically I've got them sitting on a shelf this is the list from lowest to highest...

Armorique 4200 t. Normandie 4225 t. Pont Aven 4803 t. Barfleur 5250 t. Mont St Michel 5579 t. Baie du Seine 5620 t. Cap Finistere 6515 t. Etretat 7000 t. Bretagne 10597 t.

These figures are from the French Ministry of Transport and Bureau Veritas

• Like 2