veryoldbear

HMS Queen Elizabeth

(For those who are interested in BF and it's ships - seems to be confirmed that, as I predicted, they will be getting Normandie into Portsmouth early on Weds morning.)

Regarding HMS QE, does anyone know what time the 0710 figure refers to?  Entry into the Portsmouth channel / harbour entrance / expected time of docking?

Edited by Gareth

07:10 means passing the Outer Spit buoy which is between the twin forts and Spitbank Fort (approach commences from Nab at 05:45)

This corresponds with HW Portsmouth and she will then have maybe half a knot of favourable tide to take her through the entrance.

It appears she will be going straight in with bows to the north but unclear which of the two berths on Princess Royal jetty she will use. One is behind the RN museum the other further north beyond the basin entrance.

Edited by cvabishop

I wonder if Wightlink services are bound by the Main Channel closure or the Small Boat Channel closure.  They clearly occupy the main channel when exiting the harbour itself but do not travel very far along it and often slightly outside it for that bit.  So wouldn't be surprised to see IoW services carry on for a fair bit of the 2-hour period of the Main Channel closure?

Interesting to see the times at which the QE transit lights are active defined in the programme.

How long is it expected to be before HMS Queen Elizabeth actually enters service? 

21 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I wonder if Wightlink services are bound by the Main Channel closure or the Small Boat Channel closure.  They clearly occupy the main channel when exiting the harbour itself but do not travel very far along it and often slightly outside it for that bit.  So wouldn't be surprised to see IoW services carry on for a fair bit of the 2-hour period of the Main Channel closure?

Interesting to see the times at which the QE transit lights are active defined in the programme.

How long is it expected to be before HMS Queen Elizabeth actually enters service? 

She's due in 2020, so they've got a bit of time to get the mooring right and learn to tie cleat hitches & bowlines... At 280m and a beam of 73m is there enough depth or space in any area of the harbour for her to turn around?

The webcams were the best I could manage this morning. The one on HMS Warrior was trained on the carrier directly and a great viewpoint to see her come alongside for the first time, together with some of the many accompanying tugs.Wonderful sight to see. Envious of those able to make it `in the flesh` as it were

1 hour ago, Paully said:

The webcams were the best I could manage this morning. The one on HMS Warrior was trained on the carrier directly and a great viewpoint to see her come alongside for the first time, together with some of the many accompanying tugs.Wonderful sight to see. Envious of those able to make it `in the flesh` as it were

Webcams for me as well what a awesome sight just wish we had some aircraft for her but the piggybank is empty

Does anyone know if/when she will visit Plymouth? I know she cannot berth at Devonport, but she will be fine in the breakwater, I heard rumours she would be doing exercises there over the next few years but nothing definate....

I heard it is not just an empty piggybank for the new Lightning II aircraft but that they are not yet ready and it will be 2023 before we have a full compliment of 36 aircraft and 6 helicopters. Since the original order in 1996/7 it has taken a long time, and lots of design changes, to get us here, with a projected active service life of 50 years we should get our money's worth. 

Jonno's link to the Royal Navy page gives great views of the Brittany Ferries fleet, watch it to the end for CF sailing into view, excellent.

The helicopters on her deck now - are they just for show, or are they part of her actual compliment? When trials are complete will she have these 6, or more, in the interim so that she is semi-ready, as it were? - I mean, to put a load of Ocean/Albion type of craft onto her?

She should have come down a couple of weeks later if she was going to hang around Bournemouth, she would have joined the Air Festival Navy offering...

I was at the Spice Island Inn on the Camber dock, very good view of her entering and proceeding to her berth. We took the ferry over to Gosport and watched the Merlin helicopters taking off.

Colin

Album L IMG_6950.JPG

Album L IMG_6955.JPG

Album L IMG_6957.JPG

Album L IMG_6961.JPG

Album L IMG_6975.JPG

Album L IMG_6989.JPG

Album L IMG_6999.JPG

• Like 1

Day off today and getting up for 06.00 ish was infinitely harder than my usual 04.45 alarm >:( Bus journey down to Gosport was a little fractious as regulars were keen to get the ferry before it stopped and additiional pax were delaying the service. Lots of people lining the shoreline plus an armed police presence (first time I've seen that in Gosport). Some pyrotechnics from the Southsea side then a burst of applause and cheering as she passed Falkland Gardens.

A (very early) good day out!

he helicopters on her deck now - are they just for show, or are they part of her actual compliment? When trials are complete will she have these 6, or more, in the interim so that she is semi-ready, as it were? - I mean, to put a load of Ocean/Albion type of craft onto her?

She can't substitute for Bulwark or Albion as there is no provision to carry landing craft Nor does she have an internal vehicle ramp as Ocean has.

On the other hand she has a projected service life of 40 years so a lot can happen in that time. A big ship with a big hangar offers a lot of ultimate flexibility. The curse of previous RN ships is a lack of future flexibility which makes them obsolete before the their time. She could turn out to be a bit of a bargain eventually despite an unpromising start.

1 hour ago, cvabishop said:

She can't substitute for Bulwark or Albion as there is no provision to carry landing craft Nor does she have an internal vehicle ramp as Ocean has.

On the other hand she has a projected service life of 40 years so a lot can happen in that time. A big ship with a big hangar offers a lot of ultimate flexibility. The curse of previous RN ships is a lack of future flexibility which makes them obsolete before the their time. She could turn out to be a bit of a bargain eventually despite an unpromising start.

Am I right in thinking that number 2 is going to be kept now?