Macc2010

Wind Solution.

See the floating hotel ship Wind solution has been along side in Portsmouth for just over 24 hours.

i take it that she is loading stores and fuel but something got me thinking what happens to the workers who use it as a hotel while she is in Portsmouth?

are they onboard or do they find them hotels near where the windfarm is?

also why does it take her so long to restore?

The workers will stay onboard, its a bit of down time for them, they will be allowed ashore but there will be a scheduled sailing time. They try to time the restoring to the weather, as it's been to windy for the crew boats to work, their all hiding in Shoreham and Newhaven.  When I was working out of Denmark, I was staying on her sister ship and if the weather was ok but the ship need stores etc it could be done in 12 hours. The Wind Solution is more than likely ready to go but just waiting for the wind to drop.

12 hours ago, captjack said:

The workers will stay onboard, its a bit of down time for them, they will be allowed ashore but there will be a scheduled sailing time. They try to time the restoring to the weather, as it's been to windy for the crew boats to work, their all hiding in Shoreham and Newhaven.  When I was working out of Denmark, I was staying on her sister ship and if the weather was ok but the ship need stores etc it could be done in 12 hours. The Wind Solution is more than likely ready to go but just waiting for the wind to drop.

Many thanks for that.

i see she left Portsmouth at 12.30pm back to the windfarm.

Whilst I've never seen a bunker barge alongside, 'Wind Solution' normally comes into Portsmouth for supplies and change of crew. The crew stay on board when at the Rampion Wind Farm.

I suspect the site shut down over Xmas and or for the weather and Portland is a lot cheaper berthing even taking in account the extra steaming distance. Of course her charter could be finished and Portland will be a cheaper lay up than Southampton. Quite a few crew boats are alongside in Newhaven still.

Edited by captjack

Purportedly she has been purchased by Seajets, potentially for use as an accommodation ship (the ex-Lato was lined up for this but it doesn't seem to have come off).