Sign in to follow this  
bekkia

Fire in engine room- Wightlink

She is finally back. Was on Hulk in Portsmouth Harbour last time I looked. Have they modified Wight Sun or will she now stay in Lymington and Wight Sky Portsmouth.

On 20/07/2018 at 08:27, juliannewman said:

That's pretty appalling and it reads as of lots of maintenance shortcuts were being routinely taken. Rather than take the time to open up the correct accessway they squeezed critical components through unsuitable routes to save time.

Poor maintenance seems to pervade all off these Wightlink issues... Still Catherine deck collapse, Saint Faith bin fire and I'm sure there was something on one of the old cats involving exhaust lagging. Really quite concerning.

On 29/07/2018 at 17:45, bekkia said:

That's pretty appalling and it reads as of lots of maintenance shortcuts were being routinely taken. Rather than take the time to open up the correct accessway they squeezed critical components through unsuitable routes to save time.

Poor maintenance seems to pervade all off these Wightlink issues... Still Catherine deck collapse, Saint Faith bin fire and I'm sure there was something on one of the old cats involving exhaust lagging. Really quite concerning.

Its the same on the railways..... I cannot go into specifics but a new train class was launched in the Uk and then suffered from a series of internal fires. Manufacturers staff came to see what was happening and found all the heat reflecting lagging had been removed and were found in a skip at the maintenance depot. When questioned about the engineering team said it took them longer to check the trains so they threw it away! It was then all replaced and the train now runs fairly well and reliably, so it's not just ferries, i think the lack of available spare transport type for any company means service time get squeezed and the lack of experienced engineers means that a lot of things get skipped until something major occurs...

Possibly privatisation and shareholders a contribution? They may look to invest on one hand but looks like reading these reports and posts corners could possibly be being cut on the other to maintain profit increases and bigger dividend payouts? The rail franchises are bid for with what is now looking like inflated revenues to ensure they get the franchise. Then it goes wrong and they are not making the money and want to bail out. That's not how it should work. Surely you take the risk if you overbid for a contract, not go bleating to the government when you don't make the excessive profits you were hoping for. Its either privatisation or its not and if its not then it should be run by the country and invested in properly.

Surely you take the risk if you overbid for a contract, not go bleating to the government when you don't make the excessive profits you were hoping for. Its either privatisation or its not and if its not then it should be run by the country and invested in properly.

Nothing new in this. I was in at the beginning of contracting out work to the private sector in Local Government. The basic bids were low to get the contract and then costs were ramped up on the not so well defined margins. The private sector did definitely not want to take on the risks and delivered services down to a basic price doing the minimum possible despite all the protestations of 'partnership'. There were, and are, a lot of bad bargains.