joncombe

CI Inter-Island Service

Sadly, it seems following Bumblebee not getting the charter, they are leaving the boating business with Bumblebee leaving the islands, with just sister company Island RIBS remaining.

https://www.facebook.com/bumblebeeboatcruises/?hc_ref=ARS5gQmicUPwUQwydG3xaM7UyPpjAO6qYxGXiXily2tNSIoCP5M08RlFiucsZTuCMTw&fref=nf

Shame, as I travelled with them a few years back to Alderney, and was a really nice ship and crew.

Edited by The Ferry Man

This new service is currently experiencing problems as one of the two vessels (Granville) is tied up alongside due to a serious engine problem. The part needed is being shipped in from the USA but she is unlikely to return to service until the 18th August. All their crossings from Carteret and Dielette appear to have been cancelled and the second vessel (Victor Hugo) is now doing the runs from Granville to the islands as a replacement.

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ouest-france.fr/normandie/granville-50400/manche-le-granville-toujours-en-panne-5907406&ved=2ahUKEwj30ezCktHcAhVDgRoKHSHLCSoQFjAFegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3BFQpVFjJWR9UxYxSAwmi1

The inter-island service is presumably also being severely affected and it will therefore be interesting to see if the contract is renewed for next year. 

Ed

We did a day-trip Carteret to St Helier yesterday on the Granville and she was running nicely. On the way out it wasa bit choppy and she had to slow down, but she was fine on the way back.

The Manch-Isles ferry terminal at St Helier is a dump and a good walk through Canary Wharf to try and find St Helier ... but we did find it eventually

4 hours ago, veryoldbear said:

The Manch-Isles ferry terminal at St Helier is a dump

I had a wander round there in June while waiting for the Rapide back to St Malo to see if they had done anything to improve it since my last visit many years ago (as Cabin-girl refuses to take those small ferries due to the rough crossing). It was, as you say, looking very dilapidated despite being full of passengers. If MIE keep the inter-island contract (despite this year's problems) they should lobby for it to at least have a cosmetic overhaul with more check-in points and perhaps extra seating before you go through to the boarding lounge. Ed. 

Yes, I jest a little about the MI terminal, but the huge amount of reclamation work at St Helier means that it's quite a hike to find the old town. No signs, no tourist office, nothing. Just a lot of day trippers stuck in a commercial wasteland wondering why they came. All very odd.

If you leave the Albert Quay ferry terminal and then follow the road along the harbour wall overlooking the marina, part the RNLI station, you will eventually reach the main coast road. Here you can turn left and cross up at the roundabout and walk into town past the corporate banks and investment companies. The tourist office is on the right in a circular building at the end of the Liberation bus station and shopping centre development. Turning right at the main road means you will have to cross further down directly into Liberation Square, where the tourist office used to be, and from where you can walk into town to King Street and the high-steet banks. It brings you out near M & S. From. From. From there it's a short stroll to the Victorian covered market (the best place for a big fry-up early in the morning after a bumpy crossing) and yge fish market.

There are usually maps available in the terminal for the arriving tourists and blue Tantivy buses waiting to take people on island tours. Ed. 

8 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

If you leave the Albert Quay ferry terminal and then follow the road along the harbour wall overlooking the marina, part the RNLI station, you will eventually reach the main coast road. Here you can turn left and cross up at the roundabout and walk into town past the corporate banks and investment companies. The tourist office is on the right in a circular building at the end of the Liberation bus station and shopping centre development. Turning right at the main road means you will have to cross further down directly into Liberation Square, where the tourist office used to be, and from where you can walk into town to King Street and the high-steet banks. It brings you out near M & S. From. From. From there it's a short stroll to the Victorian covered market (the best place for a big fry-up early in the morning after a bumpy crossing) and yge fish market.

There are usually maps available in the terminal for the arriving tourists and blue Tantivy buses waiting to take people on island tours. Ed. 

Sure, one finds out eventually. But there should be a tourist office with maps and information in the ferry terminal. There isn't even a toilet.

I think they want you to follow the blue line around the harbour to the Elizabeth (Condor) terminal where there is more information, hire cars, toilet and baby-changing services and a cafe and shop. Are you sure there are no toilets? They used to be on the left as you head down the corridor to the boarding lounge. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

8 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I think they want you to follow the blue line around the harbour to the Elizabeth (Condor) terminal where there is more information, hire cars, toilet and baby-changing services and a cafe and shop. Are you sure there are no toilets? They used to be on the left as you head down the corridor to the boarding lounge. Ed. 

They still are, but when went over this week both the Carteret and Granville boats arrived at the same time. It was like Sunday evening at Stansted airport i.e. chaos. The toilet signs send you outside and round the corner to dodgy bogs 60 m down the road away from town. However top marks for the refreshment stall outside who were cheerful and welcoming.

For lunch we went to The Quayside. Excellent but a bit pricey. Rather a lot of banksters and their molls taking lunch. Hilarious. I hadn't got my shiny suit with me, and Mrs OAB should really have had the blonde hair-do and come in in her little black dress but WTH archie ...

Anyway, back to UK tomorrow from Caen on the NEX subbing for the MSM. I hope it's reasonably calm.

Then I must get myself an International Driving License (or something) .....