CI Inter-Island Service

Islanders want cheap inter islander ferry travel for a number of reasons.

1-Schools sports teams playing fixtures in each others islands.

2-Adult sports fixt

3-Shopping trips for Guernsey residents in Jersey 

4-Cheaper travel (than flying which can cost up to £120 for a ten minute inter islander flight) for islands visiting friends and family

Nick

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is reported that Manche Illes have won the tender

Aurigney already exist so why take time on a passenger only ferry. Also no way give it to Condor, no competition and they are not over popular over recent years.  

Right - those who are not interested in historic timetable data do not need to read this post.  But for those who are interested in the facts behind yesterday's discussion about the historic Sealink o

Posted Images

I think that what the historical data has established (and I'm sure it was a similar story in Condor's Express/Vitesse era) is that, whilst historically there has almost always been better provision than there is now, that provision was always incidental on the requirements of the UK schedules and has never beem designed with the specific requirements of inter-island travel in mind.

12 hours ago, Nick Hyde said:

Islanders want cheap inter islander ferry travel for a number of reasons.

1-Schools sports teams playing fixtures in each others islands.

2-Adult sports fixt

3-Shopping trips for Guernsey residents in Jersey 

4-Cheaper travel (than flying which can cost up to £120 for a ten minute inter islander flight) for islands visiting friends and family

Nick

It sounds to me much more like a political issue than a commercial one.  As I have suggested if it is decided that there is a social requirement that there be regular interisland surface connection through the day (and even the night!) -- and it seems that this has been decided -- then it is a matter for the island governments to provide it.  I don't know who else can.  Certainly not the EU because the CI are not members and never have been!  Further it seems idle to expect a commercial entity to institute a service which may well have no chance of making money.  Thus the only answer is a nationalised or subsidised operation. 

Further it seems idle to expect a commercial entity to institute a service which may well have no chance of making money.  Thus the only answer is a nationalised or subsidised operation. 

As is the case in the Scottish islands and elsewhere.

In which case the service will have to include Alderney which complicates the situation if they decide to use a ferry but would be far more simple by plane. Therefore this Waves idea might be the best system for the States to back. Sark and Herm already have good, privately-run, ferry services so it is only the three bigger islands that need to be covered. Ed  

On 29/09/2017 at 11:12, Halfcrown said:

Who remembers Emeraude Line?

They used to run footpax cats inter-island, and also to various destinations on the Cherbourg peninsula, plus a RoRo to St Malo.

They seem to have vanished completely - Wikipedia mentions something about competition from Condor and a sale to another shipping line. Does anyone know what actually happened to cause the demise?

I do. I once even booked tickets on Emeraude line, but I didn't actually travel on them. The ferry was cancelled on the day due to a technical fault, so I was transferred onto Condor instead. That reminds me that on that occasion I travelled on Condor 9 which if I recall correctly was Condors' own foot-passenger only vessel that used to do inter-island shuttles and to St Malo, but I don't think it lasted long. Think they used to use it to run a service from Torquay to the Channel Islands prior to that. I think the service from Torquay was fairly popular with day trippers too, though clearly not popular enough to sustain the service.  If they still had Condor 9, they could perhaps use it for this service!

I guess when Condor upgraded to car carriers they absorbed the pax only vessel operations and these new bigger fast car ferries were too large for an intensive shuttle service. Then tourism declined and their focus was on UK and France car ferries and they took their eye off their original service concept.

33 minutes ago, Nick Hyde said:

I guess when Condor upgraded to car carriers they absorbed the pax only vessel operations and these new bigger fast car ferries were too large for an intensive shuttle service. Then tourism declined and their focus was on UK and France car ferries and they took their eye off their original service concept.

That makes sense Nick, thanks. So, as an islander, what did you do instead? Fly or just not travel? Or maybe you are not one of those who needs to pop across to Jersey so regularly. Ed 

If I go on business to Jersey I fly but if going for a holiday or day trip would try and go by ferry. And going to the UK I fly but make a point of going by sea at least twice year on the excellent and convenient Clipper service.

Edited by Nick Hyde
16 hours ago, joncombe said:

I do. I once even booked tickets on Emeraude line, but I didn't actually travel on them. The ferry was cancelled on the day due to a technical fault, so I was transferred onto Condor instead. That reminds me that on that occasion I travelled on Condor 9 which if I recall correctly was Condors' own foot-passenger only vessel that used to do inter-island shuttles and to St Malo, but I don't think it lasted long. Think they used to use it to run a service from Torquay to the Channel Islands prior to that. I think the service from Torquay was fairly popular with day trippers too, though clearly not popular enough to sustain the service.  If they still had Condor 9, they could perhaps use it for this service!

She does seem to still be afloat, now called Jessica W,  and can be seen on Google earth in New Shoreham harbour (probably pronounced Sure-ham by our American friends) on Block Island off the East Coast. I'm not sure if she's actually in service as the company operating the route don't have her listed in their fleet and Marine Traffic suggests she's in New London -  possibly laid up for the winter. Ed. 

On 10/3/2017 at 12:08, Hawser Trunnion said:

It sounds to me much more like a political issue than a commercial one.  As I have suggested if it is decided that there is a social requirement that there be regular interisland surface connection through the day (and even the night!) -- and it seems that this has been decided -- then it is a matter for the island governments to provide it.  I don't know who else can.  Certainly not the EU because the CI are not members and never have been!  Further it seems idle to expect a commercial entity to institute a service which may well have no chance of making money.  Thus the only answer is a nationalised or subsidised operation. 

Both the governments of Jersey & Guernsey have said that they will assist with funding for the 2018 May-September trial. so far I think Bumblebee, Condor & Manche Iles Express are the interested parties.

Personally I think the French operator is in the best position.

2 hours ago, jonno said:

Both the governments of Jersey & Guernsey have said that they will assist with funding for the 2018 May-September trial. so far I think Bumblebee, Condor & Manche Iles Express are the interested parties.

Personally I think the French operator is in the best position.

I'd agree that Manche Iles Express are well placed to offer such a service as they do already run the inter-island links for their own customers from Jersey to Guernsey and Sark and from Guernsey to Alderney. They have two modern vessels which seem to cope well with rough conditions (even if the passengers don't), they know the waters, they seem to have a good reliability record and keep to the timetables in my experience. They are however expensive, but that may be due to the financial backers wanting to get as much money back as possible. Having said that,  the crossing are generally full (or very nearly) in the summer months. Ed 

It also makes sense because the G-J sailings can be integrated into a wider route network, inter-island and to and from France.  So, for example, they could provide through tickets from Alderney to Jersey etc.  Although don't they already provide a Guernsey to Jersey service?

16 minutes ago, Gareth said:

It also makes sense because the G-J sailings can be integrated into a wider route network, inter-island and to and from France.  So, for example, they could provide through tickets from Alderney to Jersey etc.  Although don't they already provide a Guernsey to Jersey service?

They do offer a big range of options, but very randomly spread across the published timetables due to tidal restrictions etc. They will have G-J in the evenings before a J-France return sailing for example. They could certainly fit in other crossing as many days the vessels sit in St Helier, St Peter Port or Braye waiting for the evening return to France. What they won't be allowed to do is Guernsey to Sark (although they can do Jersey to Sark) as there is already another company with an exclusive licence for that route. They could however then continue on to Alderney and loop back via Guernsey I guess. The permutations are endless but offer a lot of flexibility. I'd guess there is an argument for offering Alderney to Cherbourg and back too in order to boost the tourism on that island. Ed

No. Another company out of Granville does that run and they have just bought a new vessel after selling the old one to an Irish operator,  according to what I was told just yesterday. 

http://www.vedettesjoliefrance.com/

It would be difficult to include the islands in the programme due to the shallow waters and the lack of border controls which would be needed for any return trip from Jersey and are currently done in Granville. Ed. 

6 minutes ago, Mickael Bissiere said:

the boats are in manche iles express belong the French state

Mickael, correct me if I am wrong but I believe your point is that this (owned by French state) makes Manche Express unsuitable for operating a service subsidised by the Island States authorities.  Is that right?