CI Inter-Island Service

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is reported that Manche Illes have won the tender

Aurigney already exist so why take time on a passenger only ferry. Also no way give it to Condor, no competition and they are not over popular over recent years.  

Right - those who are not interested in historic timetable data do not need to read this post.  But for those who are interested in the facts behind yesterday's discussion about the historic Sealink o

Posted Images

The newer of the two vessels, Granville, is owned by the French state, yes, but the older one on the northern routes is owned by the Manche local authority to the best of my knowledge. Whether that would cause a problem in their tendering for a contract outside of French territorial waters, I don't know. Perhaps Mickael can clarify the restrictions such ownership rules place on where and how the company operates. Ed

12 hours ago, Gareth said:

Mickael, correct me if I am wrong but I believe your point is that this (owned by French state) makes Manche Express unsuitable for operating a service subsidised by the Island States authorities.  Is that right?

Gareth I don't think Finist'Mer Maritime are owned by any French government department. There are 5 companies within the group which receive subsidies from the relevant councils... With their expression of interest in the Channel Islands I'd think the arrangement would be similar. 

This is another of their services but I've pasted it more to show their coverage.

The shipping company

The shipping company  Finist'Mer has been specialized in passenger transport for more than 25 years.

Its know-how recognized throughout the great west, from Nantes to Cherbourg, invites you to embark aboard our ships designed to offer you comfort and pleasure.

Whether it's on the Loire estuary between Nantes and St Nazaire, to the islands of Morbihan or Finistere, or the Channel Islands, we wish you " welcome on board "!

Our offer

The company VEDETTES DU GOLFE, Morbihannaise subsidiary invites you to an exceptional maritime scenery on the islands of southern Brittany:

• Island of Arz
  • Ile aux Moines
  • Belle-Ile en Mer
  • Houat
  • Hoëdic

Departures from Vannes, Séné and Port Navalo 

Go in good company with the Vedettes du Golfe

Map of destinations

On 5/10/2017 at 23:06, Mickael Bissiere said:

MV GRANVILLE MV MARIN MARIE AND MVVICTOR HUGO BELONG  CONCIL MANCHE

Mickael, do they still own Marin Marie (now called Akewa Jet) as she is currently operating between the Gabon mainland and an island just offshore? If so, and let's imagine Manche Iles Express decide to tender for the contract, would they be able to bring her back to support the other two vessels? Thanks. Ed

50 minutes ago, Mickael Bissiere said:

Hello I would like to go on the island of serck or I have to take the boat?

The only way to get there is by boat from Guernsey with this this company :

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.sarkshippingcompany.com/&ved=0ahUKEwjehfjK-97WAhWLF8AKHebUAYIQFggmMAA&usg=AOvVaw2t5DS29PzM7tgXjknSQ1rO

Or via Jersey with Manche Iles Express on certain dates. 

I don't know if you saw the TV programme 'Les Racines et des Ailes' on France 3 TV on Wednesday night last week which had a section dedicated to Sark.  If not you can catch it on replay. 

Ed 

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • 2 weeks later...

I have heard that they are hoping to have immigration and customs services available in Sark very soon, allowing the ferries from France to offer direct services instead of transiting via Jersey. This might be something that Manche Iles Express has stipulated if it is to tender for the service and would make a lot of sense, cutting the journey times from over 2 hours to around 1. Ed. 

• 3 months later...

Reading the link it seems pretty clear. The timetable for getting it all up and running is very tight plus the deal they thought they had for two vessels has fallen through. The good news is that it seems to be a five-year contract now, rather than the one-year originally mooted, although restricted to the summer only. But I guess that might change if demand is strong enough to offer a year-round service and the vessel(s) chosen can cope with the winter weather and seas. I guess Manche Iles Express is now the frontrunner given their experience and knowledge of the local waters. Their existing vessels fit all the required ports and they can presumably source others as required. 

102, do you know when the deadline for offers is? I suppose it must be the end of this month if they are going to get it started by May. Ed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if they are planning to source an extra vessel for these new routes? The 2018 timetables are already out and there are lots of days when the vessels are waiting around in port or offshore between the morning and evening crossings. I assume they will use these times to provide the new links but wonder if they will need a third and fourth vessel to allow them to offer early and late inter-island crossings. Ed. 

I understand they are not looking at a third vessel.  If you look at some of the news reports, the States of Jersey and Guernsey are now saying that they don't meet the requirements of the tender.  So I assume that on some days there will not be two return crossings per day.

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, northsaul2 said:

I understand they are not looking at a third vessel.  If you look at some of the news reports, the States of Jersey and Guernsey are now saying that they don't meet the requirements of the tender.  So I assume that on some days there will not be two return crossings per day.

Now I’m confused!  They don’t meet the requirements of the tender but yet they have won it?  How does that work?! 🤯

1 hour ago, G4rth said:

Tender conditions modified to meet only practical proposition?

Very possibly as they had promised to introduce the service by May and therefore some compromise is clearly required. 

Looking at the 2018 timetable, and taking as an example Friday 15th June, both their existing vessels are running from Carteret and Granville to St Helier at 9am (French time) and arriving around 70 & 90 minutes later respectively. They are doing the return runs from around 6pm (UK time) that evening. During the day they are not listed as doing any other crossings so there is scope for some inter-island runs, but not at peak times and crucially not runs compatible with someone wishing to cross between islands for a day out. Therefore they will either have to rework the already-published timetables (difficult if bookings have been made), find an alternative vessel (not on the cards for now it would seem - thanks northsaul2) or fail to fulfil the ambitions of the tender. Ed