Eating in Ouistreham

We are planning a short break in Normandy in November returning overnight from Ouistreham.  I was hoping to get some ideas of where we can eat before the crossing as we have rather fallen out with LeGoeland as they try to turn the tables too quickly. We like fairly relaxed dining and I know in the past there have seen some other restaurants mentioned.  One final point is given the issues of the illegal migrants is it better to look to eat elsewhere and move to Ouistreham later but it would need to be fairly close.  Has anyone got any suggestions please.

One of our favourites is a fabulous little restaurant called Le Roulis.  It's pretty much as close to the ferry terminal as you can get and still eat in a decent restaurant.  A very good classic French restaurant at a decent price and good service.

Edited by Gareth

6 or 7 years ago I had a very nice lunch in La Belle Epoque restaurant in Cabourg, sitting outside under a patio heater in late April. I was the only person out there as the rest were eating inside. Then about 3 years ago I saw an episode of Kitchen Nightmares on French TV about the restaurant. The Gaelic equivalent of Gordon Ramsey (less sweary, more beary) was called in to overhaul the staff and management ('botter les fesses' in French) . Needless to say I had noticed nothing amiss during my visit so was surprised at what I saw on TV. I have not yet had the opportunity to go back there but hope to soon. If anyone has eaten there recently please let me know what you thought. Ed. 

I went to a little place along that parade of shops opposite the lighthouse, sorry cannot remember the name, all I remember is that it was my introduction to tipping, as I tipped €5 - remember on here the jokes about it...😄

Nice food in there, remember I had a croque monsieur and it was delicious.

On 02/10/2017 at 09:23, Redwards said:

We are planning a short break in Normandy in November returning overnight from Ouistreham.  I was hoping to get some ideas of where we can eat before the crossing as we have rather fallen out with LeGoeland as they try to turn the tables too quickly. We like fairly relaxed dining and I know in the past there have seen some other restaurants mentioned.  One final point is given the issues of the illegal migrants is it better to look to eat elsewhere and move to Ouistreham later but it would need to be fairly close.  Has anyone got any suggestions please.

Hi Redwards,

So going back to your original question and especially the "one final point", my advice would regrettably be to avoid Ouistreham completely at the moment. It's a fantastic little town, I spent almost 15 years  there doing what I do now, but having been through the port every week for the last 6 weeks I would suggest the immigrant problem is becoming serious. 

Apparently there are confrontations with the police on a daily basis as they try to get onto lorries/campervans/trailers, then when they realise they've failed they stalk businesses and restaurants in an often aggressive manner.

My suggestion for an authentic final French meal of the holiday would be the Ferme St Hubert at Colleville-Montgomery. The food is delicious, typically Norman and family run for good measure. 

Here's the website http://www.ferme-sainthubert.com/ and you are only 10 minutes drive from the ferry port.

Chris