Lalli

Pont Aven

I've never really liked Pont Avan scrubbers or not.  Compared to Bretagne she is a soul less vessel more akin to a chavy shopping center. 

35 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Well that has shot my rant full of holes! BUT it therefore begs the question: why do they keep us on board for longer than is actually necessary if they can go faster? Do the crossing in five hours flat, have a longer and less frantic turn-around time and allow early boarding for car and foot passengers wanting a meal or a decent sleep. And have more leeway to absorb any delays which do occur. If only they'd asked me in the first place!xD Ed

Purely economics, it burns less fuel doing 20 knots than 22 or what ever she did today to catch up.   

53 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Well, seeing as you're interested :D here goes:

I got up at 5.40am, caught a train at 6.40am and was in my classroom at the university by 7.30am to get everything ready before the students arrived (yawning and/or drunk in most cases) at 8.00am. I then did a 3-hour class with a final-year group of building maintenance and fire-safety engineers before catching a bus at 11.00am to the factory belonging to a well-known Swedish truck manufacturer where I taught from 11.30am to 5.30pm with a couple of half-hour breaks for lunch and to reply to some inane emails from my boss. I then took a bus and tram back across town to the teaching-hospital for an evening class with a group of doctors and professors, finishing at 8.00pm before catching the train home and eating dinner at 9.00pm. In between time, I found the opportunity to post a couple of messages on this forum, order some books from Amazon France and fill in an SNCF customer feedback form which will probably go straight into their scrap-paper tray. I didn't, to the best of my knowledge, keep anybody waiting, arrive late or fail to give people the service they had paid for, thereby guaranteeing customer satisfaction and plenty of repeat business. It will be much the same tomorrow too.

On a more serious note, Colin, I think that I (and probably Chris) view such delays and the lack of information more seriously than many other posters on here because we are travelling more for business reasons than pleasure most of the time, or at least coming back and going directly to work. If I have a connecting train in St Malo or Caen, I need to know if I'll make it or miss it and should therefore cancel or postpone a meeting etc. Chris has to be back to open up his shop so has similar obligations to his customers as I do. When travelling on holiday it's less critical, I agree, and I can relax more. I also take an interest as I believe that many people are unaware of the compensation rights for ferry travellers and might overlook the opportunity to get money back in the case of an extended delay. The rights of those travelling between the UK and France will cease to exist in a couple of years but for now it's worth knowing what they are:

Gareth, I guess we'll have to disagree as I feel the arrivals information is much more important than the departures. Even if there is 1-hour delay in the ferry leaving they always seem to maintain the original check-in time (presumably due to shift constraints in the ports) and so people turn up and just sit it out. If they can then make up time, great, but I'd still like to be kept informed of the estimated arrival times for the reasons set out above.

Ed

Ed you say you need to know arrival times but if on board they would say if you will be late, no need to up date the sailings page on the website.

28 minutes ago, d2frs said:

I've never really liked Pont Avan scrubbers or not.  Compared to Bretagne she is a soul less vessel more akin to a chavy shopping center. 

Well that's a perfectly legitimate view to hold.  If you don't like PA you don't like her.  Each to their own.  

But what doesn't make sense is changng your view of her, if you previously enjoyed her, purely becase she now looks like a sack of potatoes.  Sure, the scrubbers have made a pig's dinner of her appearance, I think we all agree with that.  But if you liked her as a travelling experience before scrubbers then there really is no reason for not doing so now; she gives exactly the same experience.

Edited by Gareth

Well, no point in us all getting in a tizzy. Personally I think you just have to accept that there can be certain unexpected timetabling variations inherent in travelling by sea and that these simply have to be accepted. It's only rarely that significant disruption to travel plans results and the risk can be mitigated by building in a degree of wriggle room into your personal schedules.

• Like 1

Actually the biggest impact to my onward travel this summer wasn't caused by sailing delays or revolting dockers but down to the non functioning passenger gangway at Portsmouth.  Having to wait until the car deck has been cleared before they bring the bus on-board to off load the footies adds considerable minutes to an already tight schedule which on one occasion was further exasperated by Border Force deciding to priorities a school party in front of the footies.    Perhaps BF should add another column to their sailing update page that covers Matters Beyond BF control that might cock up your plans and raise your blood pressure.. 

• Sad 1

Well it's been a strange day, a good old chin wag with Gareth this morning and I lit Ed's fuse this afternoon (easier done than said!).

Just to clarify one point, PA was due in to Pompey at 14h15 but she was still faffing about in front of our berth at 14h30 which delayed Normandie's departure. The campervan disembarking in my photo was the first vehicle off at  14h50, we were underway about 15 minutes later making me think arrival in Ouistreham would be delayed. As d2frs says every minute counts when you're on a tight schedule, especially with a 3 hour drive in front of me once the car hits French soil, but as we were heading south (downhill) with a following wind and favourable tides she made up time which is rare, because with a top speed at least 1 kn less than MSM she is usually the one lagging behind.

I understand where you're coming from Ed, occasionally it would appear there's nobody on watch at BF towers, especially the French webmaster. But credit where it's due, I've had texts from BF about delays over 30 minutes, roadworks on both sides of the channel, accidents etc and I think your comments are slightly over the top. 

Regarding comments about going flat out to shorten the crossing time, the purser on Normandie once told me you get the equivalent of 40 mpg at 18 knots, 25 mpg at 21 knots so out of season that's a non issue. 

And Pont Aven a soulless chavvy shopping centre? Let's agree to disagree on that one d2frs, but I agree Bretagne is from another era (although the plumbing system keeps flooding cabins on a pretty regular basis).

And finally as it's gone 2 in the morning and work beckons at 07h30, further to my point on another thread there appeared to be a standoff in the town car park this evening between immigrants and police. It's interesting the lights beyond the terminal have been changed to flashing amber so vehicles don't have to stop - a very sad sign of the times....:(

Chris

On 03/10/2017 at 22:06, cvabishop said:

Well, no point in us all getting in a tizzy. Personally I think you just have to accept that there can be certain unexpected timetabling variations inherent in travelling by sea and that these simply have to be accepted. It's only rarely that significant disruption to travel plans results and the risk can be mitigated by building in a degree of wriggle room into your personal schedules.

I get there can be delays and that's perfectly acceptable. It happens. I travel on the French train network and the strikes are often more regular than the trains themselves. It's just that with all the tools at their disposal they could communicate better. I don't want to join Twitter and have to chat to some teenage work-experience guy in Plymouth who will tell me to have a lovely day just to find out why his ferry has not left the berth. Condor ferries don't always get good press on here but you can not fault their sailing updates - often giving great detail about which screw has shaken itself loose over night. There is always room for improvement and this is where BF could make progress in my opinion. Ed

Edited by Jim
Removed swearing.

I noticed when we were on the Sunday morning sailing on Pont she left  30 minutes late but arrived on time we still had a ridiculous length of time to wait until we got off , BF blame customs but I couldn’t see any extra customs checks apart from 2 heavily armed police after passport check having a good chin wag.

All this and you have veered off my subject completely which was why did the police and customs and sniffer dogs board the PA before they let us off?

23 minutes ago, Lalli said:

All this and you have veered off my subject completely which was why did the police and customs and sniffer dogs board the PA before they let us off?

To which we have already answered - how are we supposed to know?!  We are not privy to the details of operational police matters.  Suffice it to say, they were doing their job and that is something we should be grateful for.

The part of your question which we CAN answer - why was PA heading to Portsmouth - has been answered and you might like to thank Trev for doing so.  (Even though with a simple look at the timetables you would have been able to answer it yourself).

Edited by Gareth
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lalli said:

I can only assume they either had a tip off that there was someone or something suspicious on the vehicle decks or it was a training exercise that took longer than expected but needed to be done with real (and not planted) passengers and cars. I do however suspect the former to be most likely as they would most likely have handed out letters at check-in to inform the passengers of a planned inspection as they do with the helicopter and RIB boarding exercises. Ed 

3 hours ago, neilcvx said:

I noticed when we were on the Sunday morning sailing on Pont she left  30 minutes late but arrived on time we still had a ridiculous length of time to wait until we got off , BF blame customs but I couldn’t see any extra customs checks apart from 2 heavily armed police after passport check having a good chin wag.

The delays are at passport control. There are only so many lanes.

5 hours ago, scarlton said:

The delays are at passport control. There are only so many lanes.

And have been for years hence my point about the excessive delay when same amount of staff are doing the same job.

On 10/3/2017 at 15:50, Fine Whine said:

With the exception there are no Xmas/New Year cruises this year.....:(

There were certainly problems with her bow folding ramp in Roscoff last Friday, the same on Sunday morning from Cork. I think someone needs to give the grease gun a good squeeze. 

And today's arrival into Portsmouth was 30 minutes late, meaning Normandie will be late into Ouistreham tonight...:S>:(

Here are a few photos from the ipad

Chris

IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

Fantastic pics, until you get to the last one.

Not really Neil - only if you've got a dog.  There's still plenty of space on the non- dog decks, just a little patch of the huge deck 9 cordoned off for the little canines.  Otherwise space for 2-legged passengers is unaffected.

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

Still plenty of space but certainly not as much as there used to be especially for dog owners who pay more than the average customer.

6 hours ago, neilcvx said:

And have been for years hence my point about the excessive delay when same amount of staff are doing the same job.

My apologies. I missinterpreted your point.

No apologies needed , were avoiding Plymouth bext year partially because of that issue and the motorway after Bristol although I doubt Portsmouth is much better.

16 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

We did think about Poole but that was as far as it went 😉

That happens to a lot of people, don't worry. ;)

Plus how could you pass up the opportunity to travel on Pont Aven again? The only ship in the BF fleet to offer a permanent solar-eclipse to passengers out on the rear sun-deck all the way down to Spain. :DEd