Lalli

Pont Aven

On 10/3/2017 at 21:48, Solo said:

I got up at 5.40am, caught a train at 6.40am and was in my classroom at the university by 7.30am to get everything ready before the students arrived (yawning and/or drunk in most cases) at 8.00am. I then did a 3-hour class with a final-year group of building maintenance and fire-safety engineers before catching a bus at 11.00am

Is the university actually a bus stop?

On 10/4/2017 at 05:07, Cabin-boy said:

It's just that with all the tools at their disposal they could communicate better. I don't want to join Twitter and have to chat to some teenage work-experience guy in Plymouth who will tell me to have a lovely day just to find out why his ferry has not left the berth.

With all due respect. What do you know about what tools are at BF disposal? How easy do you think it is for a web page to magically update according to their systems and databases? Do you even know what they use?

No kidding you don't use Twitter - since that is not how Twitter works. Twitter is a feed of information from those you choose to follow, not a tool to chat to teenage boys.

Everything does indeed have room for improvement. BF are no exception, but this? This, in my view, is way down the list of areas to improve.

Edited by Trev

55 minutes ago, Trev said:

Is the university actually a bus stop?

Will yes it is, in a way,  but it's also not really. I'm sorry I can't be any clearer but such deep philosophical questions are best avoided at 6pm, especially as I haven't had a cup of tea yet. Ed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trev said:

With all due respect. What do you know about what tools are at BF disposal? How easy do you think it is for a web page to magically update according to their systems and databases? Do you even know what they use?

No kidding you don't use Twitter - since that is not how Twitter works. Twitter is a feed of information from those you choose to follow, not a tool to chat to teenage boys.

Everything does indeed have room for improvement. BF are no exception, but this? This, in my view, is way down the list of areas to improve.

With my limited knowledge of computer systems even I know how quickly and easily you can update a web page with hardly any “tools”.

3 hours ago, Trev said:

By tools I was thinking first of the AIS to allow them to check all their ships are where they are supposed to be and any deviations from the intended track can then be used to warn of delays. Then the afore-mentioned sailings update pages so all their customers can see what's happening and make alternative arrangements if necessary. Plus they have their Facebook page to post the most critical alerts as well as Twitter. If UPS can tell me where exactly my Amazon parcel of books is in their system and at what time it left their Orleans depot then I'd have though working out where a 40,000-ton ferry is would be child's play!

On that subject, there is a Twitter function (essentially a chat-box) to allow people to respond to the tweets issued by BF and ask questions pertaining to their bookings etc - Tweets and Replies - but you need an account to see them, which is new as earlier this summer it was open for everyone to view:

https://twitter.com/BrittanyFerries

It may be down the list of improvements to be made, behind Bretagne's leaky bathrooms and the lack of dog-exercise areas, but it's also something that costs relatively little to maintain once up and running correctly, inspires confidence among travellers and is one of the pillars of good service today for any transport company which wants its customers to feels they are important and not just cash-cows. Ed

On 03/10/2017 at 21:10, Gareth said:

So I guess your appreciation of her is pretty superficial then.  If you have actually travelled on her you will know that the scrubbers make no difference to the voyaging experience.

Your absolutely right... My BF experience has only been BDS and Normandie... But when Pont passes Carluchios in Portsmouth (AWFUL SPELLING!!) the scrubber box ruins the good looks of the vessel. 

4 hours ago, Trev said:

I kind of think Cabin Boy's response to the Twitter is out of line. The guys who run the twitter account do a great job, sometimes having to deal with customers who don't appreciate their work, while still finding time to have a laugh with the 'Twittersphere'. They will never judge you, if you ask what ships are leaving etc, and they are certainly very quick to reply.

Now, if ya'll wanna see a real twitter feed, follow me @OfficialGMoore -> I don't reply quick, and I don't know ships positions, without checking MT, but you might wanna follow me, if you were bored... :P

• Like 1

Have to say my experience of BF's twitter account has always been pretty positive. Early January last year when the schedules fell apart because of the weather ,  the Plymouth - St Malo crossing I was supposed to be on sailed 12 hours earlier,  no way I could catch it.   After a bit of toing and froing with the help of the BF twitter guru at short notice I ended up on the hastily re-scheduled midnight Cap Finistère service to Cherbourg.   Bit of a result as I need the Cap for the set!

cap1.PNG

• Like 1

That's great, I'm glad you got the result you wanted. It certainly does seem to work well in those circumstances - perhaps better than the other 'live chat' service offered and which I've spoken about before on here. What I was getting at was first the accuracy of the information provided - Is the ferry on time or not? And if there is more than 30 minutes delay then let's be told. Second is the speed with which you can access this information. We know that most people are only prepared to click 3 or 4 times on any website to get the details they require, whether it be a price or an address etc, before they give up and try an alternative source. That's why so many websites have drop-down menus and expanding lists which keep people's attention for longer and allow more options to be presented with just a single click. Therefore, logging into Twitter and typing a message just to get a sailing update is frankly too long but perfect if, like you, one wishes to amend a booking. Ed

Don’t want to drag this further off topic from the fleets great flagship whom I’m looking forward sailing on in March to StMalo, but there are auto update tools that even I could use on an iPhone via a free app to update a web page and Twitter simultaneously,having said that I agree BFs Twitter team are far more on the ball than most travel companies that I use ,although they have lost a bit of the banter since JB left to sail the 7 seas an example is the forgotten “ #myBFholiday “ competition, maybe the new comms team need time to settle in.

On 04/10/2017 at 05:07, Cabin-boy said:

I don't want to join Twitter and have to chat to some teenage work-experience guy in Plymouth who will tell me to have a lovely day just to find out why his ferry has not left the berth. 

A totally incorrect assumption I'm afraid. You'll find a range of senior people manning Twitter, from the press office right to the top. It's no coincidence that the initials of one of the tweeters are the same as the Commercial Director.

You also don't need to send a message on Twitter to get sailing updates, they get published for all to see. You don't need to be a member to see those. It's a quick and easy way for BF to get updates out at all times of day. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jim said:

A totally incorrect assumption I'm afraid. You'll find a range of senior people manning Twitter, from the press office right to the top. It's no coincidence that the initials of one of the tweeters are the same as the Commercial Director.

You also don't need to send a message on Twitter to get sailing updates, they get published for all to see. You don't need to be a member to see those. It's a quick and easy way for BF to get updates out at all times of day. 

Yes Mike  Bevens frequently comments and answer queries I’m unaware of many other people in his position in a company that are so active on social media.

4 hours ago, Jim said:

My point exactly. The main purpose of Twitter to follow feeds of  your choosing. If you choose to follow BF you will see their sailing updates - no need to type a message and await a response.

Hello, I'm new here. 

This site really takes me back!  I used to sail to St Malo over 20 years ago. We regularly sailed on the (original) Armorique and the Duchese Anne and then the Bretagne when she took over this route.

I'm very excited as I have a trip from Santander to Portsmouth in late November on the Pont Aven!  I was due to fly back with Monarch, but since they went out of business, had to find an alternate route home.  So pleased to have the opportunity to use BF again after all these years and to also see so many fellow enthusiasts!

• Like 1