Gareth

BF Refits 2017-18

I wondered if it might be anything to do with PIP4 coming back on stream, but AIS tracks show berth 4 is still out of action.

However.....the schedules for BDS and Etretat remain unchanged.  BDS is set to resume her normal departure from Santander on Saturday, and Etretat is still set to resume the 1700 sailing from Le Havre this Sunday.  Those were the sailings that were going to be indicative of PIP4 over-running, and there is no indication that this is the case.

All of which means.....I would expect PIP4 to come back into use sometime between now and Sunday lunchtime.

On a plus note... residents local to Plymouth can enjoy a decent a la carte meal for a change! Get booking!:)

(that is, assuming it is open of course)

4 hours ago, Gareth said:

I wondered if it might be anything to do with PIP4 coming back on stream, but AIS tracks show berth 4 is still out of action.

However.....the schedules for BDS and Etretat remain unchanged.  BDS is set to resume her normal departure from Santander on Saturday, and Etretat is still set to resume the 1700 sailing from Le Havre this Sunday.  Those were the sailings that were going to be indicative of PIP4 over-running, and there is no indication that this is the case.

All of which means.....I would expect PIP4 to come back into use sometime between now and Sunday lunchtime.

Seems to have been a surprising dearth of news concerning what is happening to the the linkspan at the PIP's Berth 4.  Can one assume the replacement installation has arrived from Holland if it's to come back into use between now and Sunday lunchtime?

Well, Normandie has just berthed on number 4, and Cap Finistere used it this afternoon too.  So, whatever the situation is regarding the new linkspan, the berth is now back in use.

Barfleur’s last sailing out tomorrow before she’s off - and last sailing at all until Armorique arrives in a few weeks.  Depending on the weather might go across to see her off.

• Like 1

'Barfleur' now en route to Gdansk, arriving at 18:00 on Saturday. She will be taking the normal route, not via the Kiel Canal.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

Well, if she did manage 24 kn she must be very tired out as her AIS icon has not shifted all day...😄

Also

the blue icon is also a paler shade of blue. 

7D45035E-81D3-4043-BF04-55F2EFEACE8D.png

Doing 18 knots now.  When the icon goes pale it's normally out of range and that is the last recorded position.

• Like 1

Yes, she is just passing Esjberg now - she’d skip past that pretty quick knowing what happens there...😉

11 hours ago, Khaines said:

According to what I heard she was doing 24 kn - so she has got a wriggle on then.....😄

👀 oh look,  Quick, don’t miss it.... she’s turning to  starboard  😲?!!

Is it not going to get somewhat  tedious hearing about every passing moment of Barfleur’s transit.....   I know for some reason, this ship is somewhat special to some on here -  Not that I’m criticising in any way...

None the less, let’s hope she gets to the yard safe & some good work is done on her, Maybe the “B” word will me muted while out of service, somehow I doubt it!😆 😂 

Edited by daves_pad!

I don’t know why she did not go through the Kiel Canal how much more expensive would it be to transit through the canal than go the long way round.  Is it due to expense or any other reason?  I would have thought that it would be easier to transit through there.  

And @daves_pad! yep, you will hear the occasional post, was querying why the AIS got stuck and she from what I gathered had been doing around 24kt, a couple of questions needed answering.  I check on her progress several times a day, so be grateful you have just had a couple of questions...

If she did go through the canal then I have the webcam saved on screen, hence keeping a close eye on her....😉😉😉😉.  To post here...😉

Edited by Khaines

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 20:54, Gareth said:

And, to be honest, doesn’t save a huge amount of time.  The process of transiting the canal (including the waiting at the start for your turn to enter the lock, which is often quite a substantial period) can take a good 8 to 12 hours.

11 hours ago, Khaines said:

Yes, she is just passing Esjberg now - she’d skip past that pretty quick knowing what happens there...😉

I'm obviously missing something. What DOES happen there that she would want to skip past? Ed. 

T

3 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

The German High Seas Fleet? :D

Most of the Navy - ooops, that is Aliaga....😉  My old friend from Wightlink, Caedmon, ended her days in Esbjerg..😟

Edited by Khaines

Ah I see! 😀. It’s ok though, Brigitte, most ships that visit Esbjerg do manage to leave again without being chopped up! 😁

9 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

The German High Seas Fleet? :D

Didn't I read the other day that the outgoing German ambassador to the UK thinks its time we stopped mentioning the war? ;) Ed. 

6 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Ah I see! 😀. It’s ok though, Brigitte, most ships that visit Esbjerg do manage to leave again without being chopped up! 😁

Are the Vikings now sending out raiding parties looking for passing ships to capture and recycle? I know it takes something like 150 soft-drink cans to make one bicycle. Just think how many they could make from Barfleur? :D Ed. 

Didn't I read the other day that the outgoing German ambassador to the UK thinks its time we stopped mentioning the war?

That was the 'other' war...

MSM is due back into service 1 week today.  So can't be more than a couple of days now before she starts to head back from Poland.

Barfy will come back as a naval ship, stick a couple of turrets on her....😄

oops, subject has changed, crossed posts....  

Right, MSM.....😉

Edited by Khaines