Gareth

BF Refits 2017-18

The new aircraft carrier Queen Elizabeth also has a build up of green algae along her waterline. You do get it at certain times of the year. There is another thread on here which refers to the Brittany beaches being covered with rotting seaweed.

On 08/10/2017 at 10:33, Fine Whine said:

Yes that's a strange one Neil!

But I think it's more the unexpectedly high amounts of sulphuric acid literally eating the pipework that's the main problem....

Chris

You get that spray from the funnel on 'Mont St Michel' too

In answer to some of the questions, 'Etretat' will be going to Gdansk and 'Cap Finistere' is going to Santander.

'Barfleur' finishes on January 31st, she will head off for refit shortly after, with 'Armorique' covering part of her sailings (as we already know). No decision has been made on which shipyard will be doing the work. Likewise, no decision has been made on which shipyard will receive 'Bretagne', 'Mont St Michel', 'Baie de Seine', and 'Pont-Aven'. However, there has been no mention of 'Armorique' going to drydock from my source.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

Have BF ever used a UK dockyard for refits etc. ever? Notice Clipper on way to Portsmouth from Falmouth, so Condor at least are supportive of UK in that respect!  You (well, me anyway) would think they would spend as much as poss in France/UK/Spain.

3 minutes ago, nottingham said:

Have BF ever used a UK dockyard for refits etc. ever? Notice Clipper on way to Portsmouth from Falmouth, so Condor at least are supportive of UK in that respect!  You (well, me anyway) would think they would spend as much as poss in France/UK/Spain.

No, with Brittany Ferries being a French Company, they will use French or Spanish shipyards. In some cases, the Remontowa Shipyard in Gdansk is chosen. It's not so much who to support, it's more who can do the work at the good price in the quickest time. UK Shipyards can not compete with the european competition. With Condor, although their headquarters are in Guernsey, they are a British Company, and always used Falmouth for refits. However, in the past they have used Portsmouth.

10 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Which then begs the question what is she up to for 5 and a half weeks in November/December?

Come back to Roscoff, all is forgiven!

Chris

It makes you wonder Chris! With the e-mails I've received regarding the 2017-2018 Refits, the only time 'Armorique' has been mentioned is for stand-in duties. No mention of her going for refit. 

What about Cammell Laird or Harland & Wolf?  Haven't they overhauled Irish Sea ferries in the past?  Further I have a vague memory that a BF ship once went to the Tyne for attention but I could be totally mistaken.  I always thought that availability at the material time was hugely influential in the choice of yard for annual overhauls.

• Like 1

What about them?  As Tony says, the answer to the question is no, BF does not use UK shipyards.  I cannot remember any occasion where their ships have gone anywhere other than: Gdansk, Dunkerque, Le Havre, Cherbourg, Brest or Santander.

As far as Armorique goes, she is due a refit (coming up 2 years since last one when scrubbers were fitted) and she is off for the best part of a month in November.  There is no other time in the next year in which she is off service, so it doesn't take a genius to put 2 and 2 together.... ;)

Plenty of time to pop down to Santander for a clean up. 

Question: How many Spanish shipyard workers does it take to pressure-wash a ferry's hull? 

Answer: Just Juan. 

Sorry! But just in case the water pipes get tangled up, Hose A is always there to lend a hand. :D Ed. 

• Haha 3

The alkalinity in the seawater neutralises the sulphuric acid. Both the Channel & the Atlantic have a high alkaline content. On this subject the issue has been the Baltic due to it's very poor tides, there's hardly any flow to rejuvenate alkaline levels which would drop rapidly even over the short term due to heavy scrubber usage. It's why they've been looking more at the alternatives such as LNG & Biofuels.

As far as BF are concerned, If the pipework had been constructed of stainless steel (large doses of added Chromium) there wouldn't be an issue. Long term it needs to be aerospace quality but scrubbers are short term, they won't be required after 2020, beats me why they fitted them in the first place.

Looking at Normandie, her steelwork is already quite shabby, surely there's a repaint schedule in her timetable?

That's the new Spanish-Chinese guy they have, isn't it. He used to work in the quality control department in Hong Kong if I remember correctly. He shared an office with Sum Ting Wong.  Ed. 

I'll see what else I can find out. At the moment, I'm not convinced that 'Armorique' will go for refit, I'm probably wrong. She may just get laid-up for the bulk of the winter season when she's not covering other services. I can't remember the exact date but didn't she have her scrubbers fitted in March/April 2016? I always thought these major refits were done every 3 to 5 years. Then again, they may send her to Santander the same time as 'Cap Finistere'.

For 'Normandie', she was last in drydock in January 2017. I'm sure she will receive attention this year but this will have to be done during her layover days. Don't forget, she's in Ouistreham all day today, I'm sure the crew will be busy doing essential maintenance while she's there. 

Edited by TonyMWeaver

Yes, she went for scrubbers in January 2016 and returned in March.  Apart from CF (which seems to go annually), the BF fleet tends to be dry docked about every 2 years.  So Armorique will become "due" in new year 2018.

Damn, and I was on Armorique yesterday; I should have asked about any possible winter refit. I'll see what I can dig up when I'm back on Friday.

On a slightly different topic people grump and groan about her self-service restaurant but I had the usual plate of plump prawns for starters followed by a delicious lamb curry (not hot). It's not indicated anywhere but you get a starter and main for just £10 which is great value and washed down with a half bottle of Muscadet I slept like a baby for most of the crossing over; I did start at 05h00 though....:$

Chris

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Yes, she went for scrubbers in January 2016 and returned in March.  Apart from CF (which seems to go annually), the BF fleet tends to be dry docked about every 2 years.  So Armorique will become "due" in new year 2018.

I hope they do then, I'm due another sailing on her! Likewise with MSM, I'm already booked on the Feb 9th 2018 crossing.

Such a pity BF can't spend some of the refit budget where a large chunk of revenue is generated.  I don't accept that UK dockyards are too expensive, or have no capacity.  In respect of paint/scrubber issues - buy cheap, buy twice!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, nottingham said:

Such a pity BF can't spend some of the refit budget where a large chunk of revenue is generated.  I don't accept that UK dockyards are too expensive, or have no capacity.  In respect of paint/scrubber issues - buy cheap, buy twice!

Of course UK yards “could” do refits if Rosyth can build an aircraft carrier and do the Shetland ferries refit then there’s no reason why they couldn’t do a BF refit ,having said that I can’t for many reasons see it happening no point dragging the subject of topic by going into them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, nottingham said:

Couldn't agree more. Even if they were to just test such an idea and then compare the results with the other options it might be worthwhile. And with the value of the pound now down it might make even more commercial sense. Ed.  

• Like 1

P  & O Dover use Falmouth sometimes and their north sea boats have been dry docked at A & P Tyne in the past, vessels are larger than BF fleet so big ferries are maintained here sometimes. You would  assume though that scrubbers and a follow up service are a part of the agreed service plan in this case.

• Like 1

On 09/10/2017 at 10:27, hf_uk said:

Armorique needs it, to scrape off the green slime on her bow at the very least, and paint over all the rust and scrape marks.

Even Pont Aven this week I noticed had huge green blobs over her bow. 

I wonder if there is something different this year with the water state in the channel which means there is more algae, or whatever it is, than usual. I do not recall either ever been as bad before...

Recent photos of Armorique show that the green slime has gone from her bow, i have only seen one recent photo of Pont Aven's bow and the green slime is no longer present on her bow too. 

19 hours ago, Gareth said:

With thanks to our friends at BF, it turns out that 'Armorique' finishes on November 6th, and will be heading to Le Havre shortly after. Whilst there, she will undergo maintenance on the 2 auxiliary engines, main engines, and pumps. There will also be scrubber maintenance, maintenance to the navigational equipment and her usual electrical tests and firefighting & evacuation tests.

• Thanks 2