Condor's passenger and freight ship, Commodore Clipper, will resume normal service on Wednesday 11 October ahead of the half term break after a month spent in dry dock undergoing planned maintenance.

The ship will operate her usual schedule offering overnight travel from Guernsey and Jersey to Portsmouth with a daytime return.

During her biennial dry dock in Falmouth, extensive work has been undertaken including a major servicing of Clipper’s port main engine and gearbox, ride control system, alternator and overhaul of the ship’s shaft seals. Life-saving equipment, monitoring and alarms systems were also repaired and upgraded.

Paul Luxon, Condor’s CEO, confirmed that the refit on Clipper was part of a fleet-wide investment by the company to maintain lifeline services for the Islands.

‘All of our ships require regular repairs and servicing for us to provide year-round freight and passenger operations and this is the order of £7.5 million annually. The work alone on Clipper, which is undertaken every other year, costs around £2.7 million. ‘

Mr Luxon added that passengers will also notice some improvements on board.

‘We have refurbished the lounge and restaurant and parts of the vessel will also be repainted. I am delighted that our recently launched Wi-Fi service will also be available on Clipper following installation of the necessary satellite equipment.’

The MV Arrow is to cover Clipper’s freight commitments and she is being retained whilst the Commodore Goodwill enters dry dock for three weeks on 12 October for routine and remedial repair work.

Clipper 8.jpg

Propeller Blades.png

Clipper 2.jpg

Satellite fixing.png

Clipper 11.jpg

Clipper Engine.png

Stabiliser fins.png

Clipper 3.jpg

Clipper 4.jpg

Clipper 9.jpg

Clipper 7.jpg

Clipper.png

• Like 1

Just go to You Tube and type "tour of Commodore Clipper" and you'll see all the interior in the form of video footage. Not what had just been refurbished but still worh watching nonetheless.

38 minutes ago, Jim said:

You can find that here Chris > http://www.condorferries.co.uk/documents/Clipper_Full_Menu_A4_C-MEN-001_WEB.pdf

Also available is the Liberation menu, a little more variety than Normandie Express > http://www.condorferries.co.uk/documents/Liberation_Bistro_Casquets_Menu_Island_Bar_L-MEN-001_WEB.pdf

Thanks Jim,

Of course I didn't think to look at the Condor website ......drrrrrrr, it's been another long day. The Liberation menu is considerably more interesting than Normandie Express, not difficult, but when I crossed on the Nex back in July the midships bar was serving some hot food but without really advertising it. Nothing however beats a hot bacon sandwich in farmhouse bread with loads of butter and brown sauce when you really need a good start to the day...:D

Chris

Edited by Fine Whine

38 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Not sure who the opposition is, Chris - Bumblebee?! :)

Opposition probably the wrong word Gareth, but it is after all a BF enthusiast site rather than a CF one...9_9

Not sure why you think that Chris - I was actually trying to set the bar pretty high whilst acknowledging that the main long-haul BF cruise ferries are probably not a fair comparison. ;)

3 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Any chance of a sample menu?

Just to compare with the "opposition" of course....:)

Chris

I wouldn’t bother looking at the menu...

The last time I ate on Condor Lib, I got my money back after tasting it - seriously, I wouldn’t  give some of their ‘servings’ to a dog, but possibly my ex-partner!  🤢 

• Sad 1

I was on Clipper Sunday just gone. I was surprised to notice all the car decks hadn't been painted. Furthermore lots of the white superstructure had enough rust to conclude it also hadn't been painted. 

I appreciate Liberation is costing Condor alot of money at the moment, hence cutting costs is important. But opting not to paint the majority of exposed areas is only going to cost more in the long term.

IMG_20171022_080432.jpg

IMG_20171026_073041_972.jpg

I don't believe so, no. She was back on the planned date to allow Goodwill to go into dock as scheduled. That may also be the reason why they now can't send Liberation away early for repair as the dock is still occupied. The damage to the buckets must have been sufficiently serious (fearing a total failure or loss of power/manoeuvrability) to pull her out of service rather than let her run at a reduced speed until the planned overhaul. Ed